Record LED lighting performance, 700 lumens with 13W

*Retired*
- LED Lighting Fixtures Inc. (LLF) today announced
- The fixture was tested by an independent lab as providing 700 lumens of white light at a color temperature of 2900 Kelvin, with a color rendering index (CRI) of 93.
- Total power supplied to the fixture from a residential voltage, AC power source was 13 watts. The fixture efficiency equaled approximately 54 lumens per watt of warm white light. and that is *WALLPLUG* efficiency! (that means the converter losses are counted into the efficiency!)

Company founders:
- Gerry Negley
- Antony van de Ven
- Thomas Coleman
- Neal Hunter: Cree co-founder and former president/CEO/chairman

Bandgap

Enlightened
That is impressive.

They must have worked hard on the ac-dc converter and, I suspect, hand picked the leds.

I ran my calculator over figures on the outside of florescent tube packets the other day. 72 l/W seems to be commonly availabe and over 90 is claimed for the high-end ones (GE Polylux maybe) - quite impressive if the figures are true.

This, of course, misses out the electronic or electromagnetic power loss in the ballast.

Also - Thanks for acting an intellegent filter on the industry. I assume you are an EE.

Steve

cy

Flashaholic
hmmmm... here's a simular anoucement

"LED Lighting Fixtures Creates 750 Lumen Recessed Light
DURHAM, N.C., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- LED Lighting Fixtures Inc. (LLF) today announced the development of its first prototype LED (light emitting diode) based fixture that provides as much light as a 60 watt incandescent bulb while only consuming 16 watts or 27 percent of the power. The fixture, a recessed can light, was measured by an independent testing service as providing 753 lumens of white light with an AC power input of only 15.9 watts, representing true wall-plug performance. This output equaled 47 lumens per watt of light."

http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resources/product-news-print.asp?id=252166

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Impressive on both the efficiency and color rendering. My guess is they're probably using high-efficiency amber LEDs to imitate incandescent light. I bet they could do even better with a high color rendering 5000K lamp. My only reservation is that I really hope LEDs for general lighting don't go the way of CFLs where yucky puke yellow warm white is the only thing commonly available.

Why doesn't this company make an adjustable CCT fixture using RGB LEDs? That would solve the problem of stocking the same fixture in several color temperatures plus allow the user to experiment with which color temperature looks best. The ability to adjust the light color seems like it would be a huge advantage over traditional lighting, and something most users would pay a premium for.

*Retired*
Bandgap said:
That is impressive.

They must have worked hard on the ac-dc converter and, I suspect, hand picked the leds.

I ran my calculator over figures on the outside of florescent tube packets the other day. 72 l/W seems to be commonly availabe and over 90 is claimed for the high-end ones (GE Polylux maybe) - quite impressive if the figures are true.

Steve

You need to include the ballast efficiency in your numbers on those big long linear tubes. That drops those fluorescent lm/W numbers alot.

Many folks like to pick the top end fluorescent bulbs, often not readily available to consumers at places like WalMart/Lowes/etc. These top end bulbs are also quite a bit more expensive. The commonly available fluorescent linear lamps are much lower in their efficiency.

cy said:
hmmmm... here's a simular anoucement

"LED Lighting Fixtures Creates 750 Lumen Recessed Light
DURHAM, N.C., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- LED Lighting Fixtures Inc. (LLF) today announced the development of its first prototype LED (light emitting diode) based fixture that provides as much light as a 60 watt incandescent bulb while only consuming 16 watts or 27 percent of the power. The fixture, a recessed can light, was measured by an independent testing service as providing 753 lumens of white light with an AC power input of only 15.9 watts, representing true wall-plug performance. This output equaled 47 lumens per watt of light."

http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resources/product-news-print.asp?id=252166

Yup, that was their last one. They also have a number of new ones that will be comming out.

I was told they are using CREE LEDs for this new ultra efficient LED lighting.
Kinda makes sense, with the founder also being a CREE co-founder.

Last edited:

Lucien

Enlightened
Impressive! Any pictures or availability dates?

Here's hoping we'll soon be able to light our homes with LEDs :huh:

NewBie said:
You need to include the ballast efficiency in your numbers on those big long linear tubes. That drops those fluorescent lm/W numbers alot.

Many folks like to pick the top end fluorescent bulbs, often not readily available to consumers at places like WalMart/Lowes/etc. These top end bulbs are also quite a bit more expensive. The commonly available fluorescent linear lamps are much lower in their efficiency..

The book spec of T8 is rated at 60Hz, but they're almost always paired with an electronic ballast, which increases lumens/watt efficacy of the lamp by 8-10%. It is proven that fluorescent lamps operate 8-10% more efficient when operated above >10KHz. Look in IESNA Lighting Handbook.

When you include the ballast loss, HF efficacy gain and book spec, the system efficacy comes pretty close to book spec.

Philips F32T8/841 common Home Depot lamp, CRI 86.
2950 lumen at 32 watt @ 60Hz 92.2 lumens per watt

Philips-Advance ICN-2P32-SC, Home Depot
59 watt inputs, two bulbs operates lamp at 88% luminous output (B.F.)
(2950 x 2 x 0.88 )/ 59W = 88 lumens per watt =4.6% loss from lamp book spec.

If you use F32T8/TL950, CRI is 98, but lumens per watt after ballast drops to about 60 lm/w. For most people, CRI difference of 98 and 86 is insignificant. These TL950 are only used for special purposes, like color matching. So the low cost of mass produced fluorescent makes a 53 lumens/watt LED fixture a child's play.

Last edited: