beam shot for nuwai q3 v.s. 7w golston

alfred

Newly Enlightened
the 7 watt golston looks very interesting, i own a nuwai q3 i would like to know how much brighter is the golston compared to the q3? has the golston been reviewed somewhere were actual lumens was measured? if such review exists pls give me the link.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I am well aware that the Golston "7W" is still unproven with regard to build-quality, reliability, and longevity, but I am very happy with mine. It is what it is. Here are my thoughts:

The Golston is a freak. Nobody really knows what it is, but It will blow awayThe Q III. They are not in the same league. For one thing, the Q III is a regulated one cell Lux III light, and the Golston is a grossly overdriven two cell (counterfeit) Lux III light. The golston is many times as bright as the Q III and has many times the throw. I can easily recognize a face at 200' in total darkness using the golston. It is one of the brightest 6-volt LED lights available, but is a fraction the cost of its competitors. -Get one! I consider it the best value in solid state lighting as long as you don't have to rely on it for your safety.

I am not aware of any quantifiable data on this light, but I can't wait to see how it compares to other high-powered LEDs.

Here's what I do know. I have an Amilite Neo T-3. Flashlight Reviews has reviewed both the Amilite and the Q III. The Amilite blows the Q-III away. My Golston is easily twice as bright as my Amilite, and easily has three times the throw.

Bernie

Last edited:

alfred

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info Firstdent... If you the nuwai have 25 lumens can you give me a rough estimate how many lumens would a golston produce? I'm convinced i would place my order soon..

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Golston has more "throw" due to the smooth reflector compared to the QIII. I was spotlighting two deer at 20 something yards off the road the other night quite effectively. I could illuminate both of them and their eyes glowed from the light.

(I was not hunting them, I live in a high deer population area so they are quite common wandering on the roadside. )

I've pumped two sets of batteries (3volt LI-ION rechargeables) and no signs of the light starting to die yet. I have the "cooler" shape (crenelated bezel) that has a larger body tube.

Put a 3.7 LI-ION in the QIII and you are starting to punish it similar to the Golston. It has a wider throw due to the textured reflector. If the weather is nice (no rain or snow) and I remember I might set up some beam shots.

alfred

Newly Enlightened
Pellidon,

If i use (2) 3.7 recargeable lit ion on the golston will this damage the bulb?
are your lit ion protected? hope you get a chance to post the beam shot..
I will oorder mine at AXshop.com any feedback on this seller?

thanks

Chao

Enlightened
I have beam shot comparison. 7W v.s. QIII, distance is 10 m
7W_10m.jpg
Q310m%20copy.jpg

followed is runtime plot
7W.jpg

Finally I found this light is a little bit dangerous wit RCR123A (3.0V), too hot after using for couple mins, I am afraid the plastic reflactor and lens will be melted, there's something smells bad.

alfred

Newly Enlightened
Wow thats a LOT of light compared to my nuwaii q3.. i'm already impress with my nuwai can't wait till i get a chance to play with the golston.... when i got my nuwai i told myself that i'm not getting anymore flashlights.. i guess i got the flasholic syndrome=)

thanks for all the info.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Yesterday my Golston 7w got dropped from about 3 feet onto tile, then took a jacuzzi with my son. No leaks and works fine. Mine's been used a bit on the same SF CR123's I put in when new, and it doesn't seem to be losing brightness yet. I'm sure I'm passed that 20-22 minute mark like on the chart, but I have no exact data.

AxShop got me my 7w quickly, but my current order (been waiting for almost 4 weeks) just cancelled my 2xAA 2 days ago, after over 3 weeks with no change in status. No comment, they just refunded that part of my order, and now it seems to be processing.

IonFire

Enlightened
That supposed 7-watter, pulls so much juice from the batts, it scares me.

Personally i am going to pass on it, dont need any fireworks in my house.

JMTC

IF

Rich_ems

Newly Enlightened
I got my 7W today. Had been reviewing the posts prior, so knew what to look at. Early on, here are my thoughts. The light is impressive. It holds its own against the Streamlight Strion I have. I did notice the reflector to be one of the better ones I've seen. This is prob where the light can boast most. I unscrewed the reflector, and the reflector I have on my 3W MXDL (3AAA) light. Both did glow about the same. I am also using 4 (1/3A) cells in place of the CR123 cells in the Golston. I got just about 1 hr of use, which suprised me, of some declining light. I'm prob going to play with the resistor to throttle back the current and try the RCR123 types as well, or a couple diodes to drop the voltage down. Not sure which way, have to experiment. The 7W is a nice light, and does focus well. But, my MXDL 3W light runs on AAA batteries, and I have got 5 hrs of good run time on that using Ni Mh cells. I guess they each have thier own applications. But the 3W was also 1/3 the 7W price too. Just my $.04 worth...

alfred

Newly Enlightened
I placed my order February 17 at AXstore, still wating and checking my mailbox everyday=)