LED Beam 3C Problems...

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have stood by the LED Beam 3C as the "Poor Man's Thrower", but now I'm starting to have problems. It first started when I got one for a friend in January; yesterday, he said he heard a loud "SNAP!" and the light wouldn't work. Turns out that the switch assmbly had snapped and shifted forwards due to the pressure from the battery spring.

Tonight, he heard another pop, but this time it was the LED itself. He suggested that I check mine, but I told him that I had dropped mine at work a few times (along with "tossing" it into our rig's center console bin) without any trouble. I unscrewed the head, and sure enough, there was a crack just under the threads.

The light still works, but will probably decapitate itself if dropped again. I doubt I can return it since I have done a few modifications (reflective tape around the tube, glow paint around the LED, window breaker instealled in tail cap), but I was curious if anyone else has started to notice their LED Beam busting up...

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Inferno said:
Well, I have stood by the LED Beam 3C as the "Poor Man's Thrower", but now I'm starting to have problems. It first started when I got one for a friend in January; yesterday, he said he heard a loud "SNAP!" and the light wouldn't work. Turns out that the switch assmbly had snapped and shifted forwards due to the pressure from the battery spring. ...

Uh-OH. I hope this is not typical, because I really like the LEDBeam.
Didn't want this thread to get buried.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't rule out the warranty on your own. It doesn't sound like you've done anything that would damage the light, unless the solvent used in the glow paint causes the plastic to break down. In any case, it would probably be best to try and contact the guy selling these first to see if he will repair it under warranty. After all, you're local to him and the process will hopefully be a bit more convenient. (replace the "window breaker" with the original tailcap so that it doesn't get lost in the repair process.)

Inferno said:
I doubt I can return it since I have done a few modifications (reflective tape around the tube, glow paint around the LED, window breaker instealled in tail cap), but I was curious if anyone else has started to notice their LED Beam busting up...

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I have two Mags with the Craftsman 1-watt LED bulb in them-- I guess I will be adding a third with the LED Beam guts if I can't get the exchange pulled off! I'll let you know what happens, I'm in Hawaii and taking care of the problem locally seems like the best option.

mdocod

Flashaholic
haven't had any problems- but then again- i have really babied it, never been dropped or thrown around... i bought some as gifts for others, so hopefull theirs will last also.

AshA4

Banned
I just checked mine and indeed the rubber cover on the switch is pushed forward a bit causing the rubber to look smooshed. I've never heard a snap or anything but indeed the switch assembly has moved forward about an 1/8" I used a small screwdriver and forced it back into proper alingnment. I also checked the threads but they look fine, no cracks. I've given away 5 of these as gifts and hope they are holding up. Good luck trying to get yours fixed!