dorcy in a AAA MM with a SMJLED???? done

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, like I said in another post I have been using a AA MM with a SMJLED kit and a resistored Li-ION battery. Very nice by the way, but I have found that it is rather difficult to hold it in your mouth while working. I therefore got a AAA MM and bored out the reflector to fit the SMJLED. I have been using the stock AA batteries that came with the MM, but they were only driving the LED to about 40mA or so. I wanted to keep the functionality of the head mechinism , so this left a few choices. ONE, use a Li-ION AAA with a resistored spacer. TWO build a boost module for it. I chose TWO.

In a nutshell here is what I did. I removed the innards of the stock switching parts. I soldered 2 wires to it. one to the negative contact (very tricky, had to remove a small amount of plastic) and a second wire to the original positive terminal.

I cut a piece of 3/8 dowel rod and made 2 groves in the sides. I then cut down a dorcy AAA board to get rid of the 'wings' on it'. the dowel and the dorcy board are about the same length as a AAA battery.

Wired it together to the spring on the dorcy board hits the positive on the battery, the positive output on the dorcy goes to the positive terminal on the LED, and the negative on the original part (which is switched) goes to the NEG on the LED and the dorcy board (which is normal).

now just by looking at it with the head off, it looks stock, except for the LED.... but when the tail is opened, only ONE battery falls out. I havent had a chance to check the LED current yet, but it is at least 70mA (by eye).

The AAA disent throw as good as the AA reflector, but the form factor makes up for it.

side by side sizes of the AA and the AAA
im0047929gc.jpg

See how the switch parts looks stock...
im0047947hs.jpg

Innards
im0047956sz.jpg

Closeup of the 'drop in'
im0047963rj.jpg

Jeff

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey , I've already got the bits and pieces to reproduce this mod but if 2 energizer lithium AAA's will git it a bit more punch I'd rather do that. Anyone know if 2 lithium AAA's will up the current to any decent degree?

Nice idea, BTW, combination driver and dummy cell!:goodjob:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, very nice job putting the Dorcy circuit into the AAA minimag.

I have a couple of questions. Doesn't the SMJLED run direct drive off of 2xAAA batteries? Is the mod a proof of concept? I am curious to see if the boost circuit would regulate better than two batteries on direct drive.

Paul

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIR the MJLED and SMJLED work best off of partially used Lithiums. I use my EDC;s ALOT. I found off the AAA batts, there was noticiable dimming after 30mins of use or so. Alkys work ok only at the top part of their discharge curve, which is more noticiable with AAA's.

Jeff

rheslip

Newly Enlightened
First post...

I did something similar - SMJLED with a Zetex booster circuit in a PR2 bulb base. Set up to pump 100ma into the led with fresh alkalines, and it works down to less than 1 volt. Regulation is not bad down to 2.5v or so, on direct drive the SMJLED is useless at that point. I figure 20-30 hrs on two alkalines since it only draws 120ma on fresh batteries.

I use it in a Dorcy 2AA Industrial light which is pretty rugged, waterproof and it floats !

pr2smjled15ns.jpg

pr2smjled27ye.jpg

pr2smjled31ne.jpg

smjdorcy0cg.jpg

I had the SMJLED in a Li-ion Solitaire mod but it works much better with the larger reflector of the Dorcy lite.

Rich

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great jobs, Jeff and Rich.

Actually Rich, if you wanted to do a Solitaire MJLED/LiON mod, my guess is you might be happier with the results if you use one of the 'uncut MJLEDs' as they give more of a throwy type beam without a reflector. The cut MJLED is mostly about getting the light off to the sides so it will work well with whatever reflectir it is housed in.

rheslip

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Great jobs, Jeff and Rich.

Actually Rich, if you wanted to do a Solitaire MJLED/LiON mod, my guess is you might be happier with the results if you use one of the 'uncut MJLEDs' as they give more of a throwy type beam without a reflector. The cut MJLED is mostly about getting the light off to the sides so it will work well with whatever reflectir it is housed in.

Yeah, I came to that realization after comparing a Nichia modded Solitaire with the SMJLED version - not much difference even tho the SMJLED has a much higher lux output. The tiny Solitaire reflector doesn't redirect the light forward very well.

The SMJLED works nicely in the Dorcy Industrial. Took some tweeking to get it to focus right, but that light has a quite decent textured reflector. It also has a "find me" switch position with a flashing red led in the body. I bought it for $3 at the local grocery store - pretty good deal IMHO.

I've been lurking here for a month or two. Didn't expect to get addicted to this flashlite thing but now I have a growing collection and I've modded all of them. Lots of fun !

Rich