What to expect from: Surefire K2 Kroma

wuyeah

Enlightened
A lot of images and "pre-Order" already up for Surefire K2 Kroma.

SF U2 was proven to be a sucess, except few donut hole issue. What are somee special features consumer should be expect from a $300 light that differ itself from U2??

Lumen?/Run Time?/Throw?/Light level?/Tail Cap?/Size?/Accessory Option?/Other?

nc987

Enlightened
Well your getting a 5W LED behind a TIR reflector which means it should throw amazingly well.
YOur getting 2 hours of runtime at 60 lumens of light. THe lower ouput leds have two output levels 15/3 lumens which is a plus.

All in all it should be a neat light.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Kroma features a 3W (?) LED behind a large optic and produces a beam similar to the KL1. It has 2-stage switching similar to the L2. It features a ring of 5mm LEDs around the primary optic in 2 colors - red and blue. A twist-ring - similar to the U2's - controls the "low" option, selecting between low primary white LED, and low/high red/blue. "High" is always the primary white LED.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
for $300 you could buy 12 LEDbeams. hmmmmmmmmmm. I have a hard time rationalizing anything but their G2, which I have yet to buy... I know they make really nice stuff, but they have their problems too.. sorry, i'm flaming on surefire... if I had a lot of money, i'd own a few, lol.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I am stronly considering purchasing a KROMA once they become available. The main thing that I would like to see is beam shots. Once I have that, I'll like know where I stand. But so far, from everything I have read, this seems to be a fine Flashlight.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was surprized to learn that the main LED only operates at 2 levels. I know a lot of people with multi-level lights have ended up just using a few levels. Three levels seems best for my uses: reading level, walking level, distance check level.

Does anyone know how the levels work for the Kroma?

By that I mean, can you use just the 3mm (?) LEDs for a dim level, then add or switch to the low main LED, then go to the bright main LED? I would assume that you can have 3 distinct levels, I just don't understand how the controls work.

Scott

greenLED

Flashaholic
beezaur, you turn the selector ring as in a SF U2, which allows you to change between:

-low blue
-high blue
-white
-low red
high red

While on the "white" setting, a full press of the tailcap will bring on high. Actually, on any setting, a depressing the tailcap button fully will bring on high white (very bright). If you're on a colored LED setting, they will stay on while the light engages on high white (just like the LED's on the A2 stay on).

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's starting to sound like a versitile light. :)
However, I didn't realize it came with both colors of led, I thought you had to choose on purchase which color you prefered, like the A2..

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pydpiper said:
It's starting to sound like a versitile light. :)
However, I didn't realize it came with both colors of led

Tha'ts part of the versatility! ;)

:poke: (deep voice inside your head: "buuuuuuuy iiiiiiiitt.....") :laughing:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you get 2 levels of light: the low is one that you choose, and high is always the bright main LED? I was thinking the main LED had 2 levels, and there were 3 colors of 3mm LEDs surrounding the optic.

Scott

greenLED

Flashaholic
The selector ring allows (twist, like a U2 ring, but with "detent stops") you to choose white, red, or blue LED's; it also allows you to set hi/lo for the red and blue LED's. Regardless of the LED color setting you're in, fully depressing the tailcap button will bring on high white. When the selector ring is on the white -center- position, lightly depressing the button gives you low white, high for full depression.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Thanks for the description GreenLED.

I am fascinated by this Light, and the more information on it the better as far as I am concerned.

And I like that it seems very simply to operate.

All My Best,
John

socom45

Newly Enlightened
NIIIIIICE, do you think more will be made when this lot sells out?