The ice storm cometh

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accuweather

It's supposed to ice up in Arkansas Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.

Looks like No. TX is getting some. Maybe OK is getting clobbered right now? Hope KS and MO are getting snow not ice. Well I'm next...maybe. Gulf moisture is battling a cold front 50 miles to my northwest. That's where sleet falls. Freezing rain can be a real bugger too. I'm thinking that will be inevitable sometime this weekend.

Fairly well prepared on survival stuff. You know. The stuff we always talk about. I'm not as well prepared as some members but much better than we were in 2000 when ice basically shut down most of Arkansas.

Got a pot of rice on simmer and big chicken that's done pre-roasting with some vegetables and they are now on 200. Sure, we already had dinner but the smell of comfort food makes things...comfortable. We may have to do a little taste-test-snack. A stack of DVDs and some good reading are waiting for entertainment.

Been topping off torch batteries yesterday and all this evening. Lanterns big and small, 6 HotWires in the house, others scattered about. Lots of LED lights. Only one SureFire...that black HA III A2 KevinL forced me to buy.

I hope we don't lose power but if we do I believe we're ready.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri guys -

Could you tell me what's going on in your area?

mccavazos

Enlightened
right now its all clear. I am right between Dallas and Ft. Worth so its no quite here yet, but it looks like it might be a rough night!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This weather is crazy! Much of the country is getting a cold blast.

Upstate NY was in the 50's or 60's yesterday (broke a record for high temperature) and now in the teens and heading downward fast. Winds hit 50 mph or more last night and Rochester, NY had peak wind gusts of 77 mph. Lots of trees down (and one woman killed -- a 60 foot tree fell on her car). Power lines down around here with about 17,500 people without power but they should be back on in a matter of hours. Snow to start falling within the next 12 hours.

Lake effect snowfall is not a pretty thing. It can generate bands of some pretty serious snow accumulation when the winds blow inland off lakes Erie and Ontario. Last week some areas had about 2 feet of snow but if you traveled only 15 or 20 miles, there was only an inch or two. We'll see what we get by Monday morning.

And this is not even a blizzard -- been there, done that. This is just windy and cold, and we've been spoiled by a really mild January.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report, mccavazos. Just now got a little dose of wintery mix here. Hang tight.

chmsam -

That's some extremely weird weather you've been getting in NY. Looks to be a strange weather weekend for many.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
last month it didnt get warmer than -20F below for the highs all month, a good chunk of the month it was in the -40F and -50F below range.this doesnt not count any wind chill. for a couple of weeks it didnt get warmer than -40F :(

COLD_website.jpg

^not me

its been a much much warmer than usual febuary this month :)

sec_photoreg.jpg

Topper

Flashaholic*
We got a little freezing rain followed by sleet..now snow flurries. I have not headed out yet but I am close enough to semi-major roads to hear traffic. I think it is flurries today and more ice tonight. We have had a very mild winter here..so far.
Topper

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
outside thermomiter here reads almost 72 right this minute. It's sunny and beautiful and I just got back from taking the kids on a long walk.

But the regional radar shows it heading our way. It will only be rain when it gets here, but it sure would be fun to see a snow flurry or 2 :) This town freaks out completely when that happens :laughing:

I was talking to a friend in Boulder earlier who lost his power while I was talking to him as they were having a pretty good low temperature snap and storm there too.

mccavazos

Enlightened
I guess that we didn't get very much here last night. This morning there was ice on the plants and the cars, but the roads are clear. I think that we are in for some more tonight, but I don't know for sure.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
We only got 1/3 inch of ice but that was enough to keep most people home. Very slippery roads. I got out a little tonight. I went down to a main street first to check out the conditions. Again, in an urban environment at night, a strong incandescent will show what the street surface really looks like. It differentiates between ice, dry spots and black ice very well.

Big Twin -

I think we must have got what you were getting about 3 hrs. later.

alaskawolf -

- 50. That's got to do strange things to humans and machines.

Nice pic of an aurora, snow AND the moon.

Topper -

I heard some LEOs moved out of their headquarters because they were concerned with the roof falling in.

The_LED_Museum -

That's way off for you guys. When I see photos of Seattle it looks like a pretty city especially if the photo is taken on a sunny day.

James S -

Roger the crazy. Here isn't quite as crazy as some southern cities but crazy enough when it snows. Did you know that if you are heavy on the throttle that burns up the ice so you can go good? And did you know that 4 wheel drive vehicals also have four wheel drive brakes?

Ice storms are a different story. Most respect the danger.

mccavazos -

Good to hear you got very little of this mess.

Back @ chmsam -

Heard some more detail on New York weather on national news tonight. Down right vicious.

cy

Flashaholic
winter storm hit Tulsa last night, blanketing us with a light layer of sleet, then snow. low was 20 degrees. high today was 25.

took my boys sleding today. my new fireplace insert is blasting away. gas furnance has only kicked in maybe twice, since I installed it.

really deluxe burning wood to heat the house!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
winter storm hit Tulsa last night, blanketing us with a light layer of sleet, then snow. low was 20 degrees. high today was 25.

took my boys sleding today. my new fireplace insert is blasting away. gas furnance has only kicked in maybe twice, since I installed it.

really deluxe burning wood to heat the house!

Nice. I don't have one but a few friends do. It's amazing how long a few split logs will last and how much heat the units put out. Sounds like you guys had fun and stayed toasty.

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
Memphis got a good layer of sleet,home to see more,may be the only,and last time this year,People freaked out,Nothing compared to what we used to see in Oklahoma..

People in Memphis just arent used to it,the roads were covered pretty good,got a couple of times,mid day wasnt so bad,later the day,all the melted stuff had froze over,They say we will get more,But we shall see.. Took 30 minuets to scrap and defrost my car :/

Russell

turbodog

Flashaholic
You can all just come to my house.

After I got setup for generator power, we have yet to need it for over an hour or two.

And that's too bad since I'd love to let my neighbors know we have power and they don't.

:devil:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my own share of rain on Friday and this morning. Well, it's been pretty dry this winter where I am; we need the rain here.

Of course, I noticed some snow up in the mountains north of my location. Finally time to get out the homemade snowboard.

Right now, it's about 63 F in my room and 54 F outside. A bit cold for me and my dad won't let me touch the furnace (he wants save on heating all the time) so I'm wearing jackets inside.

I'm watching the news right now and they say there's more comming tonight.

I heard a transformer in Rosmead exploded on Friday. I had no problem with my electricity but the lights did flicker a little yesterday while it was raining heavely

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
Cy,

We live in Duncan and we've got our insert fired up too...We've had it for about 5 years and have enjoyed it every winter. We have a heat pump and when it get's below 25, it has a tough time keeping us warm. I don't want to turn on the emergency heat strips...the fireplace insert kicks out that warm air...ahhhhh

Topper

Flashaholic*
I miss my wood burning insert. A year or two ago my wife and son decided to sell MY house and move into the city limits. I did get to go with them so it ain't all bad.. Wood heat is hot and I agree heat pumps suck when it gets cold. The house we are in now has a gas furnace (hot air blows out not the lukewarm heat pump crap) I still miss the smell, the carrying it in, the chaseing down the stink bugs that live in or on each and every stick, the piles of ashes I had to scoop up and dump, shooting the wire spark cap with a BB gun to get it to vent out of the house instead of in it,life was good.I really miss it. Not a joke I really miss it even with the hassle it was good.
back on track it is dang cold outside but nothing going on in Jonesboro
Topper

cy

Flashaholic
wait three years to get my custom fireplace insert...

sooooo glad it's finally here!
it's firebox is 14 cubic feet VS largest model commonly available is aprox. 3 cubic feet.
it's a free burning VS air tight design, so no catalytic converter or stainless vent pipe is needed.

check out this 2ft x 2ft log burning inside insert

insert 5.JPG

fireplace log.JPG