Great site for OS X freeware/open source software

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links.
I am still running system 8.6/9.2.2.
None of my older software runs on OS 9 so I am very leery of upgrading to OS X.

Are there any other mac site other than the ones you mentioned?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
Thanks for the links.
I am still running system 8.6/9.2.2.
None of my older software runs on OS 9 so I am very leery of upgrading to OS X.

Are there any other mac site other than the ones you mentioned?

versiontracker.com should be a good thing if you want to view s/w's for older mac os...

I also have not upgraded from 10.2.8 .. as it is less prone to recent virus attacks :) and it is much much more stable as compared with other newer versions.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
versiontracker.com should be a good thing if you want to view s/w's for older mac os...

I also have not upgraded from 10.2.8 .. as it is less prone to recent virus attacks :) and it is much much more stable as compared with other newer versions.
Thanks ViReN.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Besides being cheap, I knew there had to be a reason why I haven't upgraded beyond 10.2.8!

ViReN said:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are interested in free open source unix software install one of the package managers. I personally have fink installed on here at the moment (search for fink on either macupdate.com or versiontracker.com) and it lets me install hundreds of packages. You might first want to download and install the free x-windows server from Apple as most of the non-command line apps use that.

As far as recent viruses... anybody that will enter their administrator password when trying to open a picture deserves anything they get. There IS a problem there that Apple needs to address with the input manager system, but I'm not terribly frantic yet :) Just running an old version won't necessarily protect you. I upgraded because the new versions are SO much faster! UI performance in older versions was glacial.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't much like Fink or DarwinPorts very much. They have too few packages to be of much use to me. When I want open source apps, I launch X11 and ssh to my desktop with X-forwarding, then launch Linux/x86 apps remotely from my Mac. Since the two machines are on the same LAN, all Linux apps, GUI and command-line alike, run as responsively as if they were native. Set up some kind of file-share, like Samba, and you can effectively work in two environments from one computer, which works wonderfully for me -- twice as much processing power at my fingertips. It also means I can run some Windows apps on my Mac, via Wine/Cedega/CrossoverOffice on Linux/x86.

Before that I've tried Synergy2 and VNC but ssh with X-forwarding (with 2 screens) works the best for me so far.

If you've got the resources on your hands to try this, I seriously recommend trying it out (you may have to configure sshd for X-forwarding). If you only have a Mac to use, Fink and DarwinPorts are acceptable, although the software selection can be a bit sparse. All I use Fink for is irssi and screen.

Last edited: