KL3 regulation drop out

my name is fake

Enlightened
ive had my KL3 for more than a month now ( started using it with frsh energizer CR123s since January 8th), and last week, the light started to dim out on me. and just now while typing this. i notice the light flickering. From the website & reviews, i understand that the KL3 is regulated and should put out constant brigthness around 3 hrs. However, im pretty sure my usage has been less than 3 hrs....is there something wrong with my unit?

and update: the light started flickering again and now its getting even dimmer.,.too dim to even be useful

:help:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, looks like its going bad on you. Contact Surefire about it and they'll probably have you send it in....

I'm about to buy a new KL3 head, hope mine doesn't go bad.

my name is fake

Enlightened
Jason, I did and the unit worked fine. however, my concern is that why the unit falls out of regulation a lot faster than the specs claims.

Longbow, pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by promary cells?

IonFire

Enlightened
He,Longbow i mean, took a guess at you using rechargeables.
Using rechargeables, usually limits you to half the run time of a non-rechargeable due to thier present capacities, being roughly half.

It is odd she is not running closer to the expected times, but by sporadic usage on a single battery, i believe theres no real accurate estimation of actual time used, no offence meant.

I would suggest, run another battery though it, and record the time used.

IF

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usualy when it flickers that means it's falling out of regualtion.
So have you tried 2 fresh cells of the same brand and ran it non-stop and recorded the time?

It may be a slim chance that you have one with a really high Vf luxeon in there, and that would zap run times down. You could put a choice TW0H luxIII in there and runtime would be very very long.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, sporadic use is hard to measure.

My KL3 seemed to run 'short' on the Surefire batts it came with, but I'm sure those were already slightly used by the store, in addition to me testing out the P60 bulb for awhile before I swapped to the KL3.

I've changed to Li-ons now, and sporadic use seems to last quite long. Haven't done a full runtime test though. Current draw of the KL3 is approx 250 ma for mine, and theoretically, that should last 3ish hours depending on your batt capacity ranging from 700-800 mah or more for the primaries.