Need some help on buying a low-end flashlight...

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am new to the forums but have been doing a little research on purchasing a low-end flashlight for an upcoming 24 hr paintball scenario game. I want something brighter than my current Brinkman Rebel to keep me from tripping over something and breaking a leg in the woods next weekend.

Specifically, I am looking for something readily available in my area, not something that I would order. I have been doing a little looking around, and the two that caught my eye today were the 1W 3AAA Dorcy Metal Gear at Walmart and the 1.25 W 3AAA Coast V2 available at Lowes (and at about twice the price).

There are a few things I am looking for in whatever light I pick up:

- fairly good water resistance, if not totally waterproof.
- shock resistance
- decent battery life
- a good beam out to about 20-25 yds
- a tactical look

Also, one thing I am needing in this light that is a bit weird is that a portion of the body of the light to be 1" in diameter. This is so that I can mount it to my paintgun's sight rail using a scope mounting ring. The Brinkman Rebel I have now is the PERFECT size for this application but fairly dim. The Dorcy looks like it would work as a section of it is smaller but I am not sure if the Coast would work or not.

So, with the above criteria, what should I consider? The Element at Sam's isn't something I have looked at yet. Would it work well for the above needs?

Thanks,
JKR

Tremendo

Enlightened
Maybe Brinkmann Maxfire XL? About $18 at Walmart / Target or one of those places. Xenon bulb, pretty bright, pretty tough. Runs on 2 x CR123's (included). Probably about an hour of bright to very bright then a short time of weakening light.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good visibility at 25 yards is a pretty tall order for any light. Personally I wouldn't go with an LED-based light for outdoors use, as your targets tend to get a lot further away than you might think. I did an Airsoft game once, in a parking lot (it was strictly for Airsoft use), and the only place my old CR123 Twin Task was any good for was inside the "kill house." Out in the lot I couldn't see squat, but the bad guys sure as heck could see me, because whenever I lit that thing up I'd be pelted with about 10,000 6mm BBs.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just went and measured my Dorcy Metal Gear. It seems to be a bit over one inch (maybe 1 1/16") diameter at the smallest point, under the clip. I think it would be bright enough at 25 yards. Pretty decent battery life, too.

Geoff

JKR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice so far.

I wanted to steer clear of anything not using AA or AAA batteries for this particular light. AA and AAA batteries are so easy to find and are much cheaper than the C123 batteries.

I also wanted to stick with LED since battery life is so much better. I looked at the Brinkman Maxfire at Walmart today but want longer than 1 hr battery life even if the Maxfire did use AA or AAA batteries.

With chrono speeds of 250 fps at night and the relative proximity needed for engagement at night, I felt 25 yards for target acquisition would be sufficient. I am not expecting miracles from a LED light at 25 yards, just much better than my Brinkman Rebel. It is a pretty good light (especially the battery life!) but just not enough lumens for this need.

Thanks for the measurement Flying Turtle! I might be able to use the Dorcy Metal Gear if I don't tighten the ring down all the way.

I read the review of the Dorcy Metal Gear prior to my first post and it does seem to be a pretty good value. The Coast V2 looked decent enough but from what I could take from my searches, Coast lights aren't a great choice it would seem, at least not in this price range ($20-$45).

Thanks, JKR

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Metal Gear -- it's a pretty good light but I wouldn't recommend it for your purpose.

Something like the Brinkmann Maxfire LX may better match your needs. It's much brighter than the Metal Gear, relatively inexpensive, and often locally available at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Not sure about the diameter, but I think you can remove the rubber boot.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

Although you said no orders, http://www.brightguy.com/ ships *very* fast. I've gotten items in about two days, and that wasn't using expedited shipping.

A Streamlight Scorpion or Surefire U2 are small, very powerful and relatively inexpensive. You could likely have one in two days from Brightguy.com.

Edit: I meant Surefire G2, above.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
joema said:
... or Surefire U2 are small, very powerful and relatively inexpensive. You could likely have one in two days from Brightguy.com.

WTF!?!? :huh:

I really don't want to know what an expensive light is to you !! :lolsign:

But you could also take a look at the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon ProPolymer:

With it's deep parabolic reflector, the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon flashlight produces long range brilliance that rivals the performance of a standard xenon flashlight.

The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon ProPolymer is a high performance 4AA flashlight. The 4AA Luxeon LED flashlight features a body constructed of a Polymer Engineering resin that is virtually indestructible, shock resistant, non-conductive and lightweight. The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon is "O" ring sealed for water resistance, and its shape has been ergonomically optimized for maximum handling comfort.

Features of Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED Flashlight:
- 1 watt Super High Flux Luxeon LED, 10,000 hour LED life
- deep reflector produces long range brilliance and smooth beam
- 3,500 peak beam candlepower, 40 Lumens
- push button tail switch for one-handed operation
- impact resistant polymer body
- unbreakable polycarbonate lens with scratch resistant coating
- "O" ring sealed, water resistant
- corrosion proof and non-conductive