Minimag like/compatible/clone lights

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
What Aluminum 2x AA flashlights are compatible with drop in LED modules?

Like;
TerraLUX TLE-5
Nite Ize 3LED
Ect...

Brinkman has been mentioned
What about Garrity and the Sears 2 AA Aluminum lights.

Lights with switches would be prefered, and they have to be very common and not hard to locate.

This may be important soon as incandecent Minimags are going to become extinct soon enough...

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
So nobody here even has the foggiest clue, what 2AA lights are compatible with Mag style reflectors, LED modules or tailcaps?

Strange I thought the combination of experts here would have this thread flooded with info.

not even a 'do a search you lazy person' answer...:tsk:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude... there are tons of Minimag clones out there... There are the ones that are sold under a dozen different names (mine are Great Neck) though the reflectors are difficult to remove. I personally prefer the Quest lights that were available at ****s Sporting Goods for $7.50 or $5.00 for three. I've gone through about a dozen 3 packs of them. They look like this, but also come with a matte silver one. I usually sell or give away the blues and reds and keep the silvers for myself.

IMG_1697a.JPG

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
But... I've gotta ask... What exactly is wrong with Minimags? I mean, if you're looking to get an aftermarket tailcap/switch, why do you care if the original light comes with a clickie or not?

thinking.gif

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Melchior, after you've read(obviously) and posted in a very similar thread yesterday reguarding this exact subject, why suddenly get miffed when people pass this one over?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107847&highlight=clone
I guess re-read it.
Oh, and do a search, ya lazy so-and-so:nana:
But seriously Melchior, I saw a slew of mag copies of the 2xAA and 6Ds at BigLots, but they were very cheap looking. Around $5-6, though.

BTW Cratz, do the lenses come out of those Quests, to accomodate different reflectors? I don't have a local ****s, or I'd have a few packs myself to find out.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
BTW Cratz, do the lenses come out of those Quests, to accomodate different reflectors? I don't have a local ****s, or I'd have a few packs myself to find out.

Oh yeah... they go together just like a Minimag. Actually, there's slightly more space in the Quest head than in the Minimag head so an IMS20mm comes closer to fitting an unbored Quest head than an unbored Minimag head though it won't fit completely. Not sure about any of the 17mm or 18mm reflectors fitting or not.

Lens is the same size as the Minimag and the glass lens from Lambda and Lighthound fits the quest with no problem.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Thanks thats the response I wanted.

I have never seen any ****s Sporting Goods around...darn seemed like a good deal for a cheap 2AA.

No biglots either.:(

Also I've noticed other lights Don't use the 3mm Bi-Pin lamp the Minmag does.

Would that mess up a Nite Ize or similar LED adaptor?

I assume the reflectors don't work, as none of the lights I've seen have the same shape or size.

(Garrity, Dorcy -- nope)

Thanks for the info guys(gals?).

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try to find a Sears 2AA light tomorrow, and/or one of those Biglot ones. If I get anything (stupid banks closed today) I'll report back here with any useful info.

EDIT: AHA! Seems there's a ****s about 25 mins from me, how nice. Looks like I don't have to bug anyone about sending me some Quests afterall...

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before Katrina, all the ****'s stores around me had the Quests... Someone (maybe UnknownVT) said that ****s had donated a lot of them down there. Last time I checked around town, 4 stores had none of the Quests 3 packs and 1 store had 2 packs.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's the Vortex 2AA and the Vortex L2A line of dbA flashlights—Mini Maglite "clones" if you will.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
The Sears is in fact identical to a dorcy...

So it looks like Brinkmann is to one to get.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out though, the Sear's lights heads don't seperate, so you cannot remove the lense or reflector.