Lookink for all-round AA 1w luxeon

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an all-round AA luxeon.
Not to carry everyday in the pocket, but to carry when camping, for evening walk, reliable, with good throw and good battery life.
I thought to STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED.
What do you think of it ? Is there any comparable choice ?

Thanks for help.

Gilles

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon is a good one to. It's got a respectable throw and a decent enough spill, though not as wide a swath as some would like.

There's also the Vortex L2A (similar to Mini Maglite AA) that sports a 1W Luxeon Star LED with roughly 35 Lumens for a runtime of 2 hours on two (2) AA batteries.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
Some of the answer is dependent on what you want to light (how far, how much flood etc), and how big a light you want to carry. The fenix L2P is a great, small light. But it doesnt have the throw of a SL polypro 4AA, or SF e2L, or other. I'm also a big fan of the 2 stage SL 3W-TL2. Good throw and flood, plus a low level.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like I'm always recommending this one, the UK 4AA eLED. Check out the reviews for this good all-rounder.

Geoff

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about one of those inexpensive and readily available Metal Gear from Dorcy(?) at Walmart? I believe that thay are 1W LED powered flashlights.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I've bought several lights over the past few months and keep coming back to the SL 4xAA Lux. I just love the beam. Period.

I've got an Inova XO3, Inova T3 (purchased as a gift), a 3D Mag with a Diamond 3W LED in it as well as several smaller lights like an Inova X5 and a Dorcy Super 1 watt. When I need to go out into the backyard or when I take the dog for a walk at night I invariably grap the Streamlight. It just has such good throw with a great spillbeam (IMHO) it seems to illuminate alot of space. Also, I don't feel like I'm "on the clock" since it uses AA batteries. When I'm running a CR123 light I always feel like I should turn it off to save the batts. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other light to consider in the same price/performance ratio is the SL Pro Poly 3C as a great all around light. It is brighter and will outthrow the 4AA model, but it is heavier and bulkier and may not be suitable for evening walks. The 4AA model would be a good compromise and will fit easier into a jacket pocket or even in your back pocket.

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
I think the C batteries required would mean this wouldnt fit the requirements the OP required, but perhaps (s)he is amendable to the type of battery required.

If not, I would also highly recommend the 4AA SL. It's cheap, has great output, rugged, and uses AA's. The downside for me is its looks, but I dont care TOO much about that.

I use a Fenix L1P for indoor use, and the SL 4AA for outdoors.

Brighteyez said:
The other light to consider in the same price/performance ratio is the SL Pro Poly 3C as a great all around light. It is brighter and will outthrow the 4AA model, but it is heavier and bulkier and may not be suitable for evening walks. The 4AA model would be a good compromise and will fit easier into a jacket pocket or even in your back pocket.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more time I spend in remote rural (and I mean VERY rural!) areas, the more I appreciate the idea of a dimmer than usual light. At night, I'd prefer to maintain as much of my dark adapted eyes natural ability as possible and the brighter the light, the quicker your night vision will be destroyed.

The UK eLED is a very good choice and I'm currently looking to get another module to use in an aluminum 2x123 host. I also like the Infinity Ultra though they have pretty poor color rendition. My current favorite outdoor light is a $.97 Plastic 2xAA I bought at Walmart. It uses a PR base bulb which I replaced with a Sino Union 5mm LED that runs for maybe 60+ hours on 2 NiMH cells. Color is better than most 5mm LEDs and the faceted reflector that I also sputtered gives a wide hotspot with a very nice spillbeam.

Keep in mind, this isn't a crazy bright light by ANY stretch of the imagination. But I always have it with me when I'm out in the middle of nowhere... along with something brighter, of course.

Longbow

Enlightened
The Fenix L2P is much smaller than the SL PP 4AA LUX, very bright, and pretty. Cell for cell, runtime is greater on the L2P

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the forum and bought a SL PP4AA and a Fenix L1P....like'm both and would choose them again.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
Definitely the Streamlight 4AA ProPoly Luxeon. Very bright and keeps giving you that "Gee, I'm glad I bought it" feeling.

You've got to love the runtime on the Streamlight too!:rock:

dim

Enlightened
Why just a 1W? As I've posted before and will, likely, again, I am partial to the Gerber LX3.0. It's effective throw (1000 lux), secondary spot, and very bright spill (50 lumens) make it an excellent walking and general purpose flashlight. The hi-lo combination of, both, the 50 lumen LX3 and the 12 lumen Gerber Trio is a great tandem.

Some of my previous posts and thoughts are HERE.

dim

Uxorious

Newly Enlightened
gilles44 said:
I am looking for an all-round AA luxeon.
Not to carry everyday in the pocket, but to carry when camping, for evening walk, reliable, with good throw and good battery life.
I thought to STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED.
What do you think of it ? Is there any comparable choice ?

Thanks for help.

Gilles

This should be good :naughty:
http://os2.tw/BB/viewtopic.php?t=6048

The main features which I know until now:
1. 1AA at 1W and 2AA at 3W full power (auto detecting)
2. Maybe HA III but most likely to be better than HA II
3. Including gift box, 1 AA battery, 2 AA extended tude, two holster to fit
both 1AA & 2AA bodies, "light reflected" wrist lanyard and spare o-ring.

Other features I think pictures can tell ~~ :devil:

1. Gift box:
IMG_5903.JPG

2. Inside the gift box:
IMG_5905.JPG

3. 1 AA:
IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

4. 2 AA:
IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

5. The laser scribe label: