Amber luxeon temperature experiments

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A while back someone here did some experiments cooling a red-orange Luxeon. Since the amber Luxeon is even more temperature sensitive I thought it would make for an even more interesting experiment. Enter my first attempt:

Amber_Luxeon_TEC_1.jpg

I mounted an 8.5 amp, 127 couple Nord thermoelectric module to a copper Pentium 4 heatsink into which I had drilled and tapped properly spaced holes to mount my cold block. The cold block has a hole for a transistor temperature sensor. About 8 years ago I had made a thermometer which uses ordinary transistors as temperature sensors, allowing me to easily and cheaply put temperature sensors wherever I desired. The Luxeon was screwed to the cold sink, and I applied thermal grease for good heat transfer. I drove the Luxeon via a 350 mA constant current source.

With the above setup I was able to bring the cold block with the operating Luxeon slightly below -20°C. Without the active and passive heat loads (i.e. by surrounding the cold block in insulation) I could actually reach slightly colder temperatures on the order of -25° to -27° C, depending upon the ambient temperature. Minimum temperature was reached at 5.95 amps and roughly 11.8 volts to the thermoelectric module. Any more or less current resulted in higher temperatures. Anyway, I found that the output when the cold block temperature was -20°C was more than twice the 25°C output so I decided to take these experiments to the next level.

Enter my liquid-cooled setup:

Amber_Luxeon_TEC_2.jpg

By mounting the thermoelectric module on a copper block with water channels I had made some years ago, and using tap water for cooling, I could obtain far lower temperatures, especially since tap water this time of year is about 5°C. In fact, the lowest temperatures were attained when running the module at 8.0 amps. Here are the results:

Amber_Luxeon_Test_Results.gif

I wasn't able to go any lower than -44°C during the test because there was quite a bit of passive loading on the cold block from convection, conduction, and condensation. This was despite the fact that when the cold block was well-insulated I could get it down to almost -50°C. Note that once I got under about -15°C I had to clean the frost off the Luxeon lens immediately before taking my lux readings. The lens remained clear for a few seconds after wiping-just long enough to get good readings. Lux was measured at roughly 3 feet away. I didn't bother doing a lumens test on the LED. Since it was bin Q2G I assumed a middle of the bin lumen output of 35.35 lumens, and did the rest of my calculations accordingly. Note that at -44°C efficiency is nearly 2.75 times the 25°C efficiency. Present-day amber Luxeons with typical outputs of 42 lumens might exceed 110 lm/W efficiencies at -44°C. Even so, I thought the estimated 94 lm/W efficiency attained was amazing because it wasn't at a super low current.

I thought about cooling the Luxeon further by using a 2-stage setup but due to the heat loads observed I'm not sure I would be able to obtain much lower temperatures. Also, my -44°C lux reading doesn't seem that much higher than the -40°C. Perhaps the output increase with decreasing temperature was starting to level off, or maybe frost was building up before I could get a valid reading. I did try wiping the lens several times just to double check the results and found little difference.

What are the practical applications of this? Probably none since the power to cool the LED far outweighs any gains in efficiency. Future improved thermoelectrics might change that. For example, at -20°C the output is doubled. Assuming a total heat load of 2 watts (1.1W active and 0.9W heat leak), in theory a cooler operating with the Carnot efficiency would only require about one-third of a watt input power, yet efficiency would increase by a factor of more than two. However, present-day thermoelectrics only operate at a few percent of Carnot efficiency. I've heard of some new materials that promise greater than 50%. Even with that, it wouldn't be worthwhile cooling most LEDs. The only practical application is if you're going to light something where it's very cold all the time, amber Luxeons will probably exceed the efficiency of nearly every other light source.

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
For household use --- and there are good arguments for using amber both for people, for sleep cycle protection in the evening ---
http://www.sleeplamps.com/article.asp?id=65
Optimizing Light Spectrum for Long-Duration Space Flight

and for people living near beaches where sea turtles hatch to protect the hatchlings,
http://www.myfwc.com/seaturtle/Rules/Sea_Turtle_Law.htm
Sea turtles are either endangered or threatened (the loggerhead is the only species that has a population high enough to be only threatened in Florida). ...
The state of Florida developed a model lighting ordinance....

There might be some real benefit to cooling amber lights, even to ambient air temperature.

maybe-
"heat pipes. The center section of each heat pipe is soldered to a small copper base that when mounted sits directly on top of the CPU. Heat is transferred out of the CPU and into the base and heat pipes where it vaporizes the proprietary working fluid (typically distilled water). Water can boil at this low temperature because there is a partial vacuum inside the heat pipe."
from http://www.systemcooling.com/ht_101jr-01.html

-- or solid state refrigeration with a good set of radiator fins?

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/450/Peltier_Junctions.html

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very cool! Literally as well as figuratively! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brings back memories of evan's experiment. Only yours stayed at 350ma. I was just thinking when reading this, what about a 2stage, 2 peltiers? hhehe. I can't wait for some free time to put my amber lux3 into something...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the colder the led is, the more efficient it is.

Another reason that leds are good for cold weather environments.

Edit:
A dry ice experiment anyone?
:popcorn:

*Retired*
Old Story...

Funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, RTI engineers concocted a heat pump using two atomically precise superlattices of bismuth telluride, one layered with antimony telluride, and one with bismuth telluride selenide. The result: a device that conducts electricity and insulates against heat transfer better than anything ever seen. Way better - it's 2.5 times more efficient and 23,000 times faster than the stuff it replaces.

More info on peltier developments:

http://www.nanoforum.org/dateien/temp/ER April 2004 total.pdf?20042005174151

jtr1962

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
Brings back memories of evan's experiment. Only yours stayed at 350ma. I was just thinking when reading this, what about a 2stage, 2 peltiers? hhehe. I can't wait for some free time to put my amber lux3 into something...
I stayed at 350 mA because I was more interested in the efficiency improvements with temperature rather than any overdrive potential. Even so, in manner of speaking the LED was "overdriven" since at -44°C it was putting out almost three times the light that it did at 25°C.

Regarding using two-stage peltiers an explanation of their limitations is in order. Peltiers get less efficient at lower temperatures. Basically this means that if you lower the hot side temperature by 10°C then your cold side temperature drops by only 6 to 7°C rather than the full 10°C. Because of this, and also because the first stage must remove the heat generated by the second stage, a two-stage stage peltier can get maybe 15°C colder than a single stage, all other things being equal. Also, the heat pumping ability of two-stage modules is lower than single stage per unit of input power. In my setup with the hot side at about 7°C I was able to get the cold plate of a single stage peltier to about -50°C with no load. This is a delta T of 57°C. With the load (the Luxeon plus thermal losses) the delta T dropped to about 51° C. This particular peltier pumps about 63 watts of heat at no load (delta T = 0). This drops linearly to 0 watts at delta T = 57°C. You can then infer that the Luxeon experiment puts a thermal load of about (1 - 51/57) * 63 or 6.6 watts on the peltier. Now a two-stage Peltier using the Nord module as the first stage and an appropriate smaller module (the design of two-stage peltiers is too complex to get into here) for the second would give a delta T of maybe 72°C but the no load rating would only be about 35 watts. Running the numbers then the Luxeon experiment would reach a delta T of about 58° C assuming the same heat load. In reality the heat load of the Luxeon would increase as it got colder so the actual delta T would only be around 56° C. Remember that the hot side was at about 7°C, so this would imply a cold plate temperature of -49°C, only 5°C colder than with a single stage. Since the effect of increasing output with decreasing temperature was already starting to level out even at -44°C I saw little point in taking the experiments any further due to the complexity involving making 2-stage modules.

NewBie said:
Funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, RTI engineers concocted a heat pump using two atomically precise superlattices of bismuth telluride, one layered with antimony telluride, and one with bismuth telluride selenide. The result: a device that conducts electricity and insulates against heat transfer better than anything ever seen. Way better - it's 2.5 times more efficient and 23,000 times faster than the stuff it replaces.
Now on the other hand if I could get my hands on one of these I could probably reach dry ice temperatures with a single stage module. Any idea when/if these improved peltiers will come to market at prices affordable to the casual experimenter? I've been hearing buzz for years now about them yet current commercially available peltiers are hardly better than they were 30 years ago. There are certainly huge markets for improved thermoelectrics.