take a look at these car videos

Bob_G

Enlightened
I don't know if I'm hijacking this thread or not, because I'm on dialup and I don't want to spend the time right now to dl the videos. I'm pretty sure this is a hijack though, so I apologize, but this needs to be posted and I think here is better than a new post.

I used to race small road racing cars and I was pretty good at it. The video I'm going to post is the single best in car camera video I have ever seen. Period.

If anyone reading this is a road racing fan, especially a serious one, you need to see this video. I don't know how well known it is outside the online car world, so maybe everyone that wants to here has seen it, but I don't think so.

It's some kind of European sedan race. I don't follow the racing world enough anymore to tell you what series it is, but there are obviously multiple classes competing. The fastest ones are quite fast, and the car you are in is very fast for a sedan.

He starts from the back, literally, and the video ends as he completes the pass for the lead after several laps. This is brilliant. Whoever cut it knew racing because he knew that a pass isn't complete until the car is stabilized on the proper line for whatever's next, and that's just where it ends. It needs to be watched several times, so that you can learn the track and feel comfortable with knowing exactly what's coming next. Then you go back to paying attention to what the driver's doing, and it's just remarkable. Sure the slower cars are dead meat to him, but it's still a remarkable drive.

One thing - the sound is atrocious and will actually hurt your ears, so be careful with the volume, I'm not kidding.

This is a direct download link to the 19MB wmv --- linky

This is the only working dl I could find in about half an hour of looking. I dl'd enough to know it's the right one, but I have no idea how fast or capable the server is.

drizzle

Enlightened
Awesome video BobG! He was passing cars like crazy! I thought he had lapped some already by the end, I guess not. :)

Very cool to see how the drivers interact; when they move out of the way and when they don't.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
Bob_G said:
I don't know if I'm hijacking this thread or not, because I'm on dialup and I don't want to spend the time right now to dl the videos. I'm pretty sure this is a hijack though, so I apologize, but this needs to be posted and I think here is better than a new post.

great video. thanks for sharing. this is turning in to a car video thread ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7477398372572962859&q=lotus
good video of a Lotus :) impressive driving

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
allright, so, what do you guys think of the srt cars?

-David

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Dodge man so I love them all! I also enjoy racing of all types and have been to Nascar, Petite LeMans, and Indy Lite races.

Thanks for the vids everyone.

drizzle

Enlightened
Hehe, forgot to comment on the SRT's. I love the SRT10 Viper Roadster. The video is a bit tame. The opening video showing a car in a drift turn (if that's the right term) got my hopes up. The rest of it is pretty bland driving.

Now if someone will just give me $85k I'll run right out and get the Roadster. Then I'll make my own video. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Dodge or American sedans in general... I specify sedans because I'm a sedan kinda guy. I generally put GM in last place among the 'American big three' when talking about mainstream cars with Dodge and Ford about tied in front. The Chrysler 300 is about the most stately looking 'American' sedan on the road today in my opinion.

Speaking of 'American' cars though... it cracks me up when guys that just bought a Dodge or Chrysler refer to it as an American while dismissing Honda Civics and Accords as foreign crap. I mean, if they are both built here (employing Americans which is GOOD), but if Honda is a Japanese company and Diamler is a German company, what makes a vehicle with an historically American nameplate any more 'American' than Honda?

I will say that just last night I drove by the Dodge dealer near my house and saw something that caught my eye. It was a yellow and black Charger dressed up like the on 70 AAR Cudas... you know... with the black squares going down the sides. Certainly to attention-getting for my tastes, but I thought of you, cheapo when I saw it. I actually got out and looked at it even though it was something like 5 degrees at the time.

As for the SRT cars specifically, I don't care for the Crossfire at all. The Neon is still a Neon even if it is fast (though I will say that I would remotely consider the Neon SRT4 while I wouldn't even consider the non-SRT Neon at all and I get a discount on Dodge/Chrysler products). The Magnum or the 300 would be the SRT cars I'd look at most closely but they are bigger than I really prefer and the Viper is just too over the top for my tastes.

Now, I haven't even seen one in person yet, but the Caliber SRT4 might be my kinda car. If I had to buy a *brand new* car under $25,000 (which is EXTREMELY unlikely as I tend to buy 2 or 3 year old cars) I'd be looking heavily into either the Mazda3 hatch, the Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Wagon (basically a slow version of the WRX Wagon) or the WRX Wagon itself. I'd also consider the Scion TC or the Toyota Matrix, but probably not. These all feel like much nicer cars than their prices would insinuate. I've owned some pretty nice cars and I assure you that if you spend a week in the Mazda3 then drive the Neon SRT-4, you'll be very aware that you are in a car with a MUCH lower base price, much like the supercharged Cobalt... A cheap car modded to be fast is still a cheap car.

Hopefully if the Caliber is a solid step up from the Neon, it might be a worthy contender but Mazda is coming out with a turbo AWD Mazdaspeed version of the 3 hatch and that will have my strict attention.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I will say that just last night I drove by the Dodge dealer near my house and saw something that caught my eye. It was a yellow and black Charger dressed up like the on 70 AAR Cudas... you know... with the black squares going down the sides. Certainly to attention-getting for my tastes, but I thought of you, cheapo when I saw it. I actually got out and looked at it even though it was something like 5 degrees at the time.

thats funny :) Do you understand why I like that car now? It just has that "in your face" look... I love it.

-DAvid

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh... I totally understand why YOU like it... which is exactly the reason I don't like it!
nana.gif

Back to the whole new Charger vs new Mustang issue... today driving around with my kids, I saw an absolutely BEAUTIFUL new Mustang... Lightly modded - tasteful wheels probably 18 inches with a deep polished lip. Had the second set of headlights and the little 'windows' in front of the primary lights. A tasteful but agressive spoiler sort of like the 69 and 70 Mach Is. Dark metallic burgundy paint with a black (might have been carbon fiber appearance) hood. All sparkley and clean... It was really nice looking. I've NEVER seen a current charger that looked that agressive and tasteful at the same time.

It might have been a Roush, but all the 2006 Roush Mustangs I've seen have the '2 line' paint jobs and have the second set of lights right next to the mustang on the grille. Still, the Roush Mustangs I've seen have been quite attractive without being too over the top.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ha ha..... I just think that the grill on the mustang is a little dull.... where as the charger has the crosshair type design and a billet grill. Really cool IMHO.

-David

drizzle

Enlightened
Good stuff PSM!

This one is my favorite. So, how exactly does a 21 year old auto journalist come into posession of a 2006 Corvette C6? :huh2: :shrug: :D

Delvance

Enlightened
Nice car clips peeps! Alot of big displacement engine/car talk hehe. So i thought i might offer something a bit lower on the displacement scale. (Probably easy to tell i'm no fan of big tyre ripping monster engines...i suppose i'm what some call ricers =/...but i don't drive no rice car!)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5272072647348632544&q=mines
Check out this vid. It's a Skyline GT-R 34 tuned by a company in Japan called Mines, a fairly well respected name. The response and the way the rev climbs is simply stunning, and considering the modifications done to it (or lack of), it truly is, imho, a masterpiece. The car i'm talking about is in the 2nd half of the video clip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5272072647348632544&q=mines