2 days no power light review

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
lost power about 36 hrs ago and im now just powered up. if i had thought i would be without power that long i wold have been more scientific report,
my report . lights used SF e1l, arc aaa p,fenix lop,NO gladius, my first thing i noticed was my gladius started blinking after 10 min using battery station batteries bottom stamped "1005" i tried 6 different sets all the same results(10 min started to flash), however the batteries powered my gladius at a high output for1.5 hrs and longer, turning it down just a few levels it stayed longer then i could i could stay up, A+++ for my gladius, ( note the BS batteries did well on all accounts except the high power GLADIUS test)note with surefire batteries my gladius showed no signs of low batt untill 100 min of use , im gonna use up my bs batteries and go surefire only, after this test

fenix LOP and ARCaaaP im sure everybody knows the fenix is much brighter for about the 1st hr, at about the 1hr 15 mi mark the arc caught up and they were about equal , after that the arc kicked the fenix ***. by a VERY large margin, i also ran a SF E1l during the same time as the arc/fenix test, it did a very good job and stayed bright, at the 3 hr mark the fenix was worthless, the arc was great the E1L was still very good, note i had a 4xd mag running as well but it was already depleted but it did a good job at throwing a weak yellow light for 4 hrs , better then i thought it would do so it did well in my eyes i used a SF M3T as well but nothing tested that is relevant to this episode EDIT im gonna get a SF light diffuser and try it on my gladius, i used my gladius alot and most of the time it was used straight up as a candle i cant say enough about how well it did , all the way down to super low power that worked relly well in middle of night when i set it at that when i went to sleep and it still was at that level later on

Last edited:

atm

Enlightened
Thanks for the report, these real-world extended light use stories are always good value IMHO.

Interesting about the Gladius, I'm still on the Night-Ops batteries that came with mine. I have some 1005 stamped BS one though, going to throw a couple in the light now and leave it on high for a while, see what happens.

Andrew

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
atm said:
Thanks for the report, these real-world extended light use stories are always good value IMHO.

Interesting about the Gladius, I'm still on the Night-Ops batteries that came with mine. I have some 1005 stamped BS one though, going to throw a couple in the light now and leave it on high for a while, see what happens.

Andrew
yea let me know what you get on or BS . gladius

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reviews. You might want to track down a few Energizer Folding LED compact lanterns. With or without this upgrade they're quite nice. Unfortunately they've been discontinued so they are harder to find.

-LT

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of report is the best. Beats pics of wall shots any day.

Gonna go check out my Eternalight. I think I'd go for it first in a long-term outage.

best regards

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
TENMMIKE,

Thanks for taking time to share your power failure experiences. Reports like yours give us all a chance to reevaluate the lights and batteries we have and how useful they would be in an emergency.

atm

Enlightened
OK, 2 new BS batteries (stamped 1005), tested at 100% on ZTS tester before putting them in. Gladius on high with a fan blowing on it so it didn't need to reduce power due to temp, 1 hour and 8 mins until first low-batt warning.

According to the tester they were at approx 15% capacity after this run. Given that the Gladius can reportedly get 400+ hours from new batteries on it's lowest setting no doubt it could still run a fair while on it's lower levels with these cells.

I don't have any other brand of new cells to compare, so not sure if this is typical or not, but it's at least way better than the 10 mins you got TENMMIKE. I wonder if one of your cells was a bit dodgy and it was just a once-off.

Andrew

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
atm said:
OK, 2 new BS batteries (stamped 1005), tested at 100% on ZTS tester before putting them in. Gladius on high with a fan blowing on it so it didn't need to reduce power due to temp, 1 hour and 8 mins until first low-batt warning.

According to the tester they were at approx 15% capacity after this run. Given that the Gladius can reportedly get 400+ hours from new batteries on it's lowest setting no doubt it could still run a fair while on it's lower levels with these cells.

I don't have any other brand of new cells to compare, so not sure if this is typical or not, but it's at least way better than the 10 mins you got TENMMIKE. I wonder if one of your cells was a bit dodgy and it was just a once-off.

Andrew
hmmmm well i have a complete new batch of bs batts coming , they may well be 1005 as well but they are a few weeks apart , this is very interesting, our results, like i said before the batteries worked well , it just i got the low batt blink within 10 min but i got full time of use, im gonna try 2 more pairs, i dont want to do any more as its hard to keep up with the pairs. thanks for your input

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
well hell i just tried 2 paires 1, the first pair started blinking in 20 seconds the next pair is still running 10 min , FLUKE meter test15. batteries all should be new
1.3.28v
2.3.30v
3.3.30v
4.3.27v
5.3.29v

atm

Enlightened
TENMMIKE said:
it just i got the low batt blink within 10 min but i got full time of use

I agree that this seems strange, you'd reckon if the batteries were running low enough to set off the blinking then they wouldn't be able to run it much longer on high.
thinking.gif

Maybe someone else has a theory that could explain this.

It'll be interesting to see if it happens again.

Andrew

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need an Energizer Folding Fluorescent lantern. Four D cells power it 40 hrs (so they say) with one tube lit, 20 with both tubes lit. Folds to size of a thick paperback book. about $15 Home Depot

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
Double_A said:
You need an Energizer Folding Fluorescent lantern. Four D cells power it 40 hrs (so they say) with one tube lit, 20 with both tubes lit. Folds to size of a thick paperback book. about $15 Home Depot
i do? ok if you say so. ill get right out and get one just cause you said so:poke:

atm

Enlightened
5th try at posting this without it crashing the browser... then i get this "Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds." :ohgeez:

20 sec! It'd be interesting to see the voltages of those cells straight out of the light when it blinks.

There is a lot of variation in those 15 for new cells eh. I just checked the 8 I have left with 1005 on them, 1 was 3.21 the rest were all 3.29 (no load).

Andrew