Help deciding...

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Man, this flashlight stuff is really making it hard for me to save money :rant:. And I need help with my next choice.

Anyway, I need (want :naughty: ) a new flashlight and I've been searching for awhile now for a fairly small light with bright, big throw, flat regulation and no less than 1.5 hours runtime in regulation and have come to the following choices (so far).

1. Surefire E2L - Small, bright, reportedly has great throw, Surefire quality and has good runtime.

2. Streamlight 2L3W - Small, brighter and may have better throw from what I can determine. Inexpensive but has plastic lens. I kind of the like the side switch as something different than the tail switchers.

3. Pentagon L3 - Don't know much about this one and hoping for some comparison comments. Probably not pocketable like the first two but with a 5W 3 cell configuration will probably be the brightest of the bunch. I wouldn't want a light any bigger in size. No idea on what it throws like. Amondotech has these with 20 CR123 cells for $159. Seems like a good deal.

4. Gatlight - Not available yet but I most certainly want one, especially if it's regulated.

5. Wait until Fenix comes out with their next light. I have an L2P and love it, but want more bright throw for spotting targets outside in the hood.

Thanks All,

Dave

IonFire

Enlightened
Imho, that list is all over the place, non are really similiar.

So in fashion, i would suggest getting the top 2- 3 lights to start with.
If, in doubt buy both is the mantra, If you can afford it, get all of them.

If you can't, my totally biased opinion says grab a E2L or E1L for sure, if you don't like it, i bet you can get most of your money back selling it. That speaks volumes about it imho.

Happy Illuminations

IF

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
pm6 3w outthrows the e2l, and has much more output.

-David

IonFire

Enlightened
Didn't see it on the list.

Plus, he may actually want to EDC it, i have a hard time EDC my peli with the slightly larger head on it, where as my SF's are on my all the time an actually used because of this.

Best light is a carried light.

Peace

IF

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would proabably get a gatlight then E2l, in that order. If you want an EDC light look into the E1L.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
cheapo said:
flashlightreviews has a review on it.... take a look

www.flashlightreviews.com

and if you do decide you like it..... this is the cheapest I've seen:

http://mobilessearch.com/index.php?id=102603

But i dont know if they are reliable

-David

Thanks Dave. Great price too! I think for the sheer output numbers I'm seeing I'll get the Pelican. I emailed the folks at the link you provided, but I'm not sure if their reliable either. Can anyone comment here?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont know about the dealer, but I love the light... I think you would like it.

-David

Last edited:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that price the dealer would proabably send you the lux1 version. AFAIK only 'approved' dealers get the HAIII luxIII edition.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
JUST SPECIFY THAT YOU WANT A "GREY" 3W VERSION THAT SAYS "3W" ON THE SIDE. See what they say, and then you go from there.

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
JUST SPECIFY THAT YOU WANT A "GREY" 3W VERSION THAT SAYS "3W" ON THE SIDE. See what they say, and then you go from there.

-David

Are there 2 versions of the 3 watt? 1 with natural HA3 and one with died HA3?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
no.... there is only one 3w, and it is HA3.

-David

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I have my reservations about this place. When you click buy, you fill out a form with name and email, then they say they'll get in touch with you within 48 hours with payment info. Methinks if there's trouble they might be tough to contact. I may just get the combo deal from amondotech. I've bought from them before and they seem to be good.

Dave

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is a very good idea... that combo deal is nice! Amondotech has a good rep.

-David

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Just ordered it. I must be crazy :ohgeez: . Now the waiting. Thanks all for the comments.

Dave

IonFire

Enlightened
Congrats, nice light.

I'd use mine alot more if it could handle rechargeables like the EL-Series Surefires do.But for when i want throw an to chew through my batteries, its the one i turn i turn to.:whistle:

Thier newer M1 is a nice smaller EDC too, still has that 1.47 bezel dia, but length is nice. Must get one of these for myself.

IF

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so it cant handle 3.7v rechargeables??? I was told it could....

-David