Pocket flashlight advice

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I've been interested in lights for over a year now and currently own a SF U2 as well as a SF Executive Defender. In and of themselves those two lights may seem to be all that anyone would ever need, but lately I find that the U2 does get a little bulky in my suit, and that the E2D does come across more tactical that I'd like in an office type setting.

What I'm looking for is a small light that has long run time and fairly decent power behind it. The two that I've narrowed myself down to are the SF e1L and the L1 lumamax. Ideally, I would love to get a HDS EDC but they only seem to be available in my case from online distributors and I personally never buy anything without feeling it out first.

Between the e1L and the L1 which would you say is the better value? I still don't fully understand the jargon around here so please keep any advice given at the noob level. Cheers and thanks! :thanks:

carrot

Flashaholic
If you get an E1L with a dual-stage McGizmo tailcap (available from Lighthound.com) you can choose how bright you want the low output mode to be. L1 has better regulation and is dual-stage out of the box, but the E1L is cheaper, and much smaller, as well. They have the same light engine (the KL1 head), so the beam pattern should be the same on both. Me, I'd take the L1 simply because I like the way it looks better, but I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have the E1L, this uses a optic. It is a square of light with almost no sidespill (All hotspot) (No Flood).

It serves its purpose, its small and produces light with great throw for its size. I know nothing about the L1. I would think the clip on the E1L would put wear and tear on your suit pants over time. Honestly in a office setting both seem to "tatical".

How bout a McLux PD?? It has the best clip ever for a flashlight IMO. Mordern looking, not military looking. Two stages of light, 40 hours on low!! (runs on 1 CR123/ R123) Even high gets like 1 hour 30 minutes. The PD is the way to go, I to work in a office setting, the PD is my EDC. After spending ALOT of $$$$ searching for the perfect EDC. That search came to a end when I got my McLux PD.

Heres the McLux PD order thread

drizzle

Enlightened
Spydie said:
Ideally, I would love to get a HDS EDC but they only seem to be available in my case from online distributors and I personally never buy anything without feeling it out first.
I completely understand that attitude. I have had the same one for most of my life. Once you look around here though I think you will find that some of the best lights you can get are only available through the internet.

One way to get "hands on" experience is through a pass-around. I haven't been part of one myself but I think it's a great way to try out a light that you think you would like.

kukula

Enlightened
Office type setting? Small? Long running? Bright? I say check out the CR2 Ion. Very stylish light. Bright for its size. And the flood light that it produces is best suited for close up work or indoor use IMHO

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
In this case I would recommend that you really reconsider your view on internet ordering and consider the HDS series of lights. If you are unwilling to do that I would recommend the E1L. It is a great base light and you can put an incandescent bezel on it, a two stage tailcap as mentioned above, and the much brighter KL4 LED head if you wish.

magic79

Enlightened
I have the L1, but not the E1L. The L1 has optics, too, as PSM mentioned on the E1L. The beam is very tight, but projects suprisingly well for the rated lumens. It's a nice all-around light, and after getting my first two-stage light, I find multiple levels invaluable. Sitting my L1 next to my E2D, they are very close to the exact same size.

Having said that, I also have an HDS EDC Ultimate 60. It is head and shoulders more versatile (and brighter) than either of the Surefires. That's the light I carry every day. It have four programmable brightness levels, and I've used all four.

The less expensive Basic version has the same brightness selection, without programmability.

You might consider that if you buy an HDS on the 'net and you don't like it, you can get 85% or more of your purchase price selling it here. I'm not sure what costs are involved in a pass-around, but it can't be too much more, and you don't have to wait for one to come around.

If I could only have one light, no question, it'd be the HDS.

Regardless...you will love any of those lights.

Better yet...buy 'em all!! (you will eventually, anyway!)
:sold:

Last edited:

Sturluson

Enlightened
Exactly two cents worth: buy the McLux III PD. As stated, it offers low and high beams and long runtimes. It's also the best thought-out light you'll ever find, is simple, elegant and sophisticated. It has the best reflector ever, with good throw yet a nice spill. Two ways to turn on - tail momentary and head twist.

Take a chance, make the leap: order it online this week. McGizmo is going to Maui in a few days, so hurry. Buy the bells and whistles too, i.e. the tritium vial in the tail and the titanium bezel ring. You will receive the best little priority mail box ever.

I have the HDS U60, too: a very fine light with a user interface that makes it lots of fun to play with and very usable, too. But the McLux III PD is in a class by itself.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Spydie said:
Ideally, I would love to get a HDS EDC but they only seem to be available in my case from online distributors and I personally never buy anything without feeling it out first.
That's a good liner there. I too wanted to purchase the HDS in the past, but after seeing and using one for a while (from friends and fellow CPFers) I found that it's not for me. "Short and stubby boys, short and stubby. . ." is how it turned out to be for me.

The SureFire E2e and E1e is "just right" for me. You've already made an excellent purchase choice—referring to the SureFire E2d Defender that is. . .Also, like what the others mentioned above are good suggestions too. The McLux.III.PD is one that is a VERY well made and purposeful illumination tool! That's perfect in fit and finish and does fine in my hands, and when EDCing it. Sometimes I forget that I've got it on my person. If you have the means, then the McLux.PD is one that is "fit to be tried!"

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
I have the E1L, this uses a optic. It is a square of light with almost no sidespill (All hotspot) (No Flood).

It serves its purpose, its small and produces light with great throw for its size. I know nothing about the L1. I would think the clip on the E1L would put wear and tear on your suit pants over time. Honestly in a office setting both seem to "tatical".

How bout a McLux PD?? It has the best clip ever for a flashlight IMO. Mordern looking, not military looking. Two stages of light, 40 hours on low!! (runs on 1 CR123/ R123) Even high gets like 1 hour 30 minutes. The PD is the way to go, I to work in a office setting, the PD is my EDC. After spending ALOT of $$$$ searching for the perfect EDC. That search came to a end when I got my McLux PD.

Heres the McLux PD order thread

I couldn't agree more! I've been through MANY, MANY EDC's since becoming a CPFer four years ago, and since getting my McCluxIII PD I haven't looked back (...or forward for that matter) when it comes to EDC's! The McCluxIII PD is hands down the best EDC I've ever had. Sure it's considerably more expensive than an L1 or E1L, but it's MUCH more versatile: throw AND spill, no luxeon lottery to worry about (you'll know what bin you're getting when you order it), CR123's OR RCR123's, a USEABLE low mode; and like PSM stated, the best pocket clip ever devised (IMHO). I've had an L1 and an E1L, and as far as I'm concerned, they're not even in the same league as the McCluxIII PD!

PJD

magic79

Enlightened
I'd like to buy a McLux III PD. However, all the linked threads are miles long.

Is there a simple link to options, price, PayPal payment? It shouldn't be this difficult to wade through threads to get options/price.

Thanks!!

IonFire

Enlightened
The E1L is a nice little light.
You can use rechargeable batteries in it from Lighthound.com no problems.

Fairly slim, bezel is at an inch in diameter, so a little smaller then the bigger SF's.
Price is reasonable for a well built light, and is about half the size of the L1.
If you want 2-stages, a 2-stage tail cap can be had for it.

Still keeping it less then the L1, and still alot smllaer then it aswell.

I wasn't around, or i would have chimed earlier before the HDS crowd drowned this out.

If you do grab one, im sure you'll like it, and or the HDS too.

IF

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the L1 is too long for a 1 cell light. I could look at the light empirically and think that it's OK, but I can't; I have to compare it to other similar lights, and when I do that, it's too long. A McLux III PD is nearly an inch and a half shorter, yet has very similar features (2 stage, 1 cell).

One thing I've always disliked about Surefires is that so much sticks out of the pocket when clipped. The E1L looks especially topheavy. Again, the PD is the best when it comes to pocket clips. If your'e set on the E1L design, I'd get a KL1 head, stick it on a VG FB1 body and run it with rechargable lithium ion R123s.

I'm honestly of the opinion that the E1L or L1 don't make good personal lights with their tight beams with no flood. They might impress with their throwing ability, but it doesn't do you much good when you're trying to see 10 feet in front of you, or find your keys under your car 3 feet away.

In regards to the HDS lights, I can assure you that you'd be happy with the performance. Even a Basic one is extremely versitile with 4 output levels at the touch of one button (I only ever used 2 levels with any regularity). What the HDS lacks however is looks. It ain't the ugliest light, but it sure ain't the prettiest. My biggest complaint about the HDS was the pocket clip. It works OK, but I'd prefer bezel down, or at least deeper bezel up carry. It's hard to clip to your pocket with only 1 hand. It looks better without the clip IMO, but you'll probably feel compelled to fill the screw holes with something.

If you plan on pocketing the light instead of clipping it, IMO there's some better choices than any of these. Go with a twisty-only switch (no buttons) to prevent it from accidentally turning on (a powerful light in a cramped pocket can get hot rather quickly, not to mention draining your batteries). A Jil 1.3W or Intelli makes a nice, small, classy pocket light. My preference is the Intelli since it's smaller and more versitile. The amount of light that comes out of a Jil can make almost any other light look like an oversized hunkojunk. An Amilite Neo T3 is a larger, yet still small (smaller than either the SF E1L or L1) CR123 pocket rocket. The Amilite website has a nice picture of several lights. The Neo T3 is the smallest, and the E1L is the center light (your E2D is 2nd from the right). The Jil (not pictured) makes the Amilite look big. My final reccomendation would be a Peak Caribbean, especially a brass or stainless steel model. These look especially classy.

All of those lights would be fine in an office environment; none would raise any eyebrows of your coworkers (unless you shined it at them) like an E2D might.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bid on an E1L on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had a link to the tailcap site...I went to Lighthound.com but got confused quickly lol What resistance has anyone found useful?

ALso, does anyone use the thread grease they sell @ lighthound?

Thank You!

carrot

Flashaholic
Manzerick said:
Yep, I use Nyogel 779ZC on everything. Works fine, even on conductive threads (tested it on my Maglite Mini with NiteIze drop-in).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
GadgetTravel said:
In this case I would recommend that you really reconsider your view on internet ordering and consider the HDS series of lights.

I agree... even the $120 HDS Basic 42 or $140 42GT light should make a LOT of folks happy... And if it turns out not to be exactly what you were expecting, they tend to sell pretty quickly on the B/S/T forum.

Between the E1L and the L1, I'd personally DEFINATELY go for the E1L. Much more modular and MUCH shorter. If you like the general proportions of the light, you can always pop a KL4 head on there for MEGA flood.

IonFire

Enlightened
I just bid on an E1L on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had a link to the tailcap site...I went to Lighthound.com but got confused quickly lol What resistance has anyone found useful?

That is a nice little light.
Also, it can run the rechargeables that john at lighthound sells aswell,get yourself a pair of protected Li-Ion 750Mah and you are set.

I had a tail cap resistor mod done on mine, and removed it once i got rechargeables, and use a beam diffuser for when i need low level light.
My diffuser is a kitchen chair leg bottom cap, measure in at 1in ID, put a 1/4 inch hole in it an line with a standard pop bottle cap.

IF

Fringe

Enlightened
Wade through all the PD talk, it will be the best wading you will ever do. As the few said, get the PD. I LOVE mine. If Don made a PD with a Ti piston. I would have the best light ever. Get all the options too. Now I am starting to feel like a need an extra one. I always do this when the subject turns to the PD. Did I mention I love the PD?

LowWorm

Enlightened
Next to the McLuxIII-PD, which is an incredible light, I'd nominate Jon's new L-Series light (if you can wait a little bit - he just made the announcement tonight).

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108321

For those who have been around CPF longer than I have, this has to be some of the best new flashlight news you never thought you'd hear. :)

Looks to me like you could fit three of these in your pocket. I'm guessing it will have two-stage (or better) capability and the same great brightness that those who have one are lucky enough to know firsthand.