U2 Clickie problem

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a U2 that i bought in September 2005 that is having an issue in cold weather(it was 20 degrees today). This could be normal but when I click it on, it turns itself off in about 2-3 seconds. This happens for about 5-6 trys and then the light will stay on when clicked.

Any idea if this is normal or a defect?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know if this is your prob, but here is how I cured my U2 clicky problem. There are 3 little tabs inside the tailcap, the purpose of which is to provide electrical continuity with the body. I gently bent those tabs out with the point of a knife blade so there is more spring tension and better contact with the body. This is a common problem, and the fix worked for me. Before fixing it, I emailed SF and they sent me a new tailcap as well (it took a month to arrive, FYI).

best regards

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You!

I just emailed Surefire.

If anything crazy comes up when i try the repair I'll post pictures of what I have done :)

Thank You!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I think this is the lubrication issue. JasonC8301's thread is an excellent one - lots of info on how to fix the U2 tailcap probs.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 never had a fall or even a bump. This seems mechanical is it does not appear to "stick" when clicking it in if you know what I mean... I'm still waiting to hear for SF on it.

Hopefully all will go well.. I'm going to test it right now with fellow CPF'er Sixpointone....

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked it and it's working fine. Granted it's about 30 degrees now and this could possibly be due to only extream cold. I'll see what SF has to say about it.. maybe i'll re-grease it and take it from there...

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I agree.

Not only was there a great resolution to this issue, the speed in which it was done was top notch.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt so good about the Lumen gods being with me today I went out and bought a E1L. My way of saying thank you to surefire (and a great excuse to buy a light)

IonFire

Enlightened
Excellent pick imho:grin2:

I always have three reasons to buy another light,..

1.Last Night.(I didn't have this light)

2.Tonight.(I will use this light tonight)

3.Tomorrow Night.(I might need another light for tomorrow night, in case last nights light broke)

IF

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny how a regular mini mag was good enoguh 3 years ago... then, mini mag upgraded LED was good enuf... but now...it is still not good enuf.

Hello SF E1L :)

It'll be in by friday... i can't wait!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i noticed that the older surefire tailcaps have 3 little tabs in it... my new surefire cap has 4...

i pryed up on the 3 tabs on my failed tailcap and it worked right away ;) thanks CPF!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can't help but think that any click on button will fail (i've heard of maglights, streamlight, surefire etc...)... is it safe to say that twist on light such as the Jil and ARC may have better switch durablity?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm.. interesting question..

One would assume both can fail but at what rate... awesome question..

Does anyone have an idea on this one?