Need New Torch (Like Pila GL4)

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Im a beginner in "Flashaholicism" :)

Ive owned a Pila GL4 for about a year now, and love it, but im finding it difficult to get hold of the actual Pila Lamp assembly, (some kind forum members gave me a helping hand in a previous thread stating that a Wolf Eyes lamp is the same...Thanks)

I love the light output of the Pila GL4, im thinking of getting another torch, which other torches will you recommend that have the same "quality" of light output like Pila GL4...by this i mean, there is no hotspot, just s nice quality uniform light spread. i love that

I like the idea of surefire because their bulbs etc are easily available. what kind of light output do they five (ie spotlight effect or a large spread of light like the Pila GL4)

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
FYI, Pila is coming out with upgraded lamp assemblies (high-pressure) that are much brighter than the current ones. That'll be quite an enhancement.

If you're interested in LED's at all, the SF L4 puts a "wall of light" similar to what the Pila lights do.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you seek a beam that's both bright and wide, in a form factor similar to the PL4's, the Surefire P91 9V lamp remains the gold standard. In the past, the P91 has been a niche light, something of a novelty, because there were no bodies that could hold both a P91 and a pair of lithium-ion cells large enough to power it for at least 45 minutes. But all of a sudden we have two, maybe three such bodies:
  1. The $60/$70 2x18650 Surefire E/C-compatible body sold by CPFer TranquillityBase in the Custom B/S/T forum. I think that's the forum.)
  2. The $60 Nextorch NT7 (RT7?) sold by CPF dealer Emilion. I don't know for a fact that a P91 will fit its 38mm head, but it might.
  3. Emilion's $10-ish 18650 extension tube coupled with a 18650 Surefire P-compatible body. Emilion has been reticent about how one can get this body, but it exists.
Pila and Wolf Eyes now make different product lines. Wolf Eyes lamps now have 25 to 50 percent more output but the beams are less wide than before.