Spotted a new Dorcy 3 Watt Luxeon LED pocket light at Sears!!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has one of these. It looked pretty nice. It had a black finish, made in Taiwan. Took 3AAA's (argh!). 3W Lux LED. I'd never seen this one before. Was priced at $39.99. Any chance they'll go on sale soon? They only had two left. They hadn't got any of the Dorcy's that run on 123's since I bought the last one back in November. Seems like alot though, especially since Maglite is coming out with their stuff soon. It was nice and small though, very pocketable. Wish it ran on 123's like my Dorcy 1W Luxeon.

Now I'm gonna do some searches and see if I can find any reviews on it or anything!!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I should mention, it looked just like the 3AAA version, only it was black and of course 3W.

This is the 1W version that runs on 3AA's:

I have the 1W version that runs on a single CR123A battery and is a bit smaller. For some reason, it is not even shown on Dorcy's website though.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super1w.htm

I'm wondering if I should wait and see if they release a two CR123A version in 3W? This is the 1W which I have:

**Hotlinked images removed, per CPF rules**

Last edited by a moderator:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the pics on the review web site shows that this light (or at least part of it) is made in Taiwan. I'll take Taiwan manufacturing over mainland China any day.

Despite that, the 1W Metal Gear's case (powdered metal) is probably made in China, and it's excellent quality.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else notice that physically the Dorcy lights look identical to the Sam's Element? Are there internal similarities as well? Anyone got both of them?

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Redjam said:
Anyone else notice that physically the Dorcy lights look identical to the Sam's Element? Are there internal similarities as well? Anyone got both of them?

Similar in shape but not identical, yes I have both, but I'll "steal" this jpg from elsewhere on the forum....
element2.jpg

Gryloc

Enlightened
Ok, really quick. I had the Dorcy 1W from Sears, and when I got it in the car and tried it out, I was deeply disapointed. It had a ugly blue spot with many artifacts that was also amazingly dim. Anyway, one day in December at Sams Club, I found the Elements (2 of 'em) in a package sitting next to the bulk packages of ink pens. Those are so much better! They are both a nice white and very bright. The dorcy cost me 29.99 and the 2 elements were on sale for the same price. I got those in the car and tested them out when I realized these were the same construction as the Dorcy! They are completely interchangable. The battery holder is the same, along with all the other plastic and metal parts inside. The only things different were the electronics (Dorcy, when pressing the button, was on/flashing/off and the Element was simply on/off), the LED (The Element's Luxeon I was binned at RXOH :naughty: and the Dorcy was an old Batwing Star), and the outer body shape (the insides and threads were the same and the Element had a hole for a lanyard on its tailcap). The reflector was the same, also. You can get both and fool around with them. Mix'n'match if you like (it'll become ugly). The only thing I reccomend is make sure that you dont turn the electronics module around and put it in backwards or you will get some nice pirdy white smoke from the power transistor. If you look closely, it will show you which way to slide it in. Now my Dad has the normally opperating twin Element that I cannot touch or modify in any way (that is so hard to do -must make brighter-). Currently I have a clicky switch (2 position with a resistor in there -so it goes off/bright/off/dim) added and the LED on the bright position is mildy overdriven (wont tell you by how much, he he, except its 2.3 times its normal current) with some extra heatsinking added. At dim, it runs at a mere 20mA with plenty of light for getting around with. I hope I was of help to you, especially Redjam. Wow, I thought this would be quick, too. HA! Yeah right. Good luck! :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Hmm, found this:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super3w.htm

Wow, that runtime chart is even worse than I expected..

I think I'll definately pass on this one unless they come out with a CR123A version..

What can you expect from 3AAAs? From my experience, they are the worst power sources for 3 watt LEDs among common batteries. High voltage in a small package with higher than average output for no longer than 15 minutes. This is why I avoid 3AAA lights.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Mine doesn't have a tint problem, but then I have the lithium battery version.. mine is pretty white with just the tiniest hint of green towards the center. Almost unnoticable. I'm heard people say they've gotten anything from blue to pink tint in theirs.

I bought it to run my old lithium batteries in, but I'm not sure it's quite the battery vampire an X5 is.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Would nimh do any better for runtime in this? According to the graph in the review youd get about 5-10 min of bright light,then decay after that. seems tempting but such a short runtime.Any mods such as a li on to help?

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about the Li-Ion route too - I run the only other '3 AAA in a carrier' type light that I have this way. Currently I use a 14500 to run my River Rock Combo light (the one that was recently on sale in Target) using wrapped paper round the cell to make it fit, but I intend to upgrade to an 18500 to increase run-time if I decide I like the setup enough to spend money on it. I have upgraded the incan bulb to make it useful though as the stock is junk.

How is the carrier arranged on this Dorcy? Does it have the +ve & -ve terminals at one end, or is it like a normal cell with the terminals at opposite ends? The River Rock light I have has the 2 ended setup which means you can just drop in a replacement li-ion without making a carrier. Depending on the size of the carrier it may even be possible to use one of the new protected C li-ions that AW has on order.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
C lion should give good run time! Anyone know if this could work?

Last edited:

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
It'll depend on the size of the carrier used. A C won't fit in the only light I have with a 3 AAA carrier, but if the Dorcy has a chunky carrier you might fit one in. Then the run-time would be amazing!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Craftsman Club sale flyer in the mail today and saw the sale on this light. I might pick it up for $20 and see how it performs with NiMH or lithium AAA's.

-Keith

InfidelCastro

Banned
lithium AAA's are kind of expensive though in my experience and not easy to find. And the battery carrier is annoying IMO. I wish they'd make one that ran off of 2 CR123A's. Should be slimmer and not much longer.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
So, has anyone determined whether this flashlight is a candidate for a direct drop-in of a li-ion cell? And would an 18500 or 18650 better match the length of the battery carrier?

beakman