Anyone here from IOWA?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Just from all the postes that I've read, seems like there aren't many people from Iowa or even the Midwest. Are there any "Flashlight Clubs" around? That would be cool to have clubs in each State. I hardly ever hear of anyone around or see anyone with flashlights on them. Most people I talk to just think a flashlight is a flashlight and wonder why I have a G2, M3, X5 and X1 on my belt, even in the daytime. I'd love to meet other flashoholics, share ideas,stories and check out what they have.

Aaron

greenLED

Flashaholic
I thought nobody lived in Iowa. :nana:

Welcome aboard, Aaron! You'll never be alone while CPF's around.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I thought nobody lived in Iowa. :nana:

Welcome aboard, Aaron! You'll never be alone while CPF's around.

No no... that's Idaho... and Wyoming!

I've been through Iowa a couple times and just into it from Illinois a couple more times.

greenLED

Flashaholic
cratz2 said:
I've been through Iowa a couple times and just into it from Illinois a couple more times.
See, that's what I mean - nobody lives there, so we just go through it.
:laughing:

I think I've met 2 people from Iowa in my entire life.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I just don't think the midwest is a hotbed for $30+ flashlight activity... I mean, Indiana has the 11th largest city in the country (last time I checked anyway) and I think I only know of maybe 3 other CPFers from Indy.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! I'm from Iowa.

Actually, I used to do a fair amount of IT consulting with Pella corp. I've been to Pella many times. I've even bought letters. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I feel left out...
icon9.gif

Of course, I wasn't following any threads on the SHOT show so that might have something to do with it...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Really? I feel left out...
icon9.gif

Of course, I wasn't following any threads on the SHOT show so that might have something to do with it...

Does going to school at Iowa count? Go Cyclones :nana:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in Iowa and went to college at Iowa State, with a 4 year tour in the USMC in between. Since then, I've worked in St Louis, MO, and Peoria, IL.

As a practicing EE, there are a limited number of places to do interesting work. Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids would be an option, but after working at the former McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis, I'm a bit wary of working in the aerospace business again.

Iowa is a nice place. Not too hot, not too cold, no hurricanes, no grass fires, no earthquakes, no arguements about water allocation. The state places an emphasis on providing a good education for everyone. And after moving to Illinois, I'm amazed at how clean the politics were in Iowa. The scenery is a bit understated, but you adjust. :)
Besides, there's some rule of thumb that says that if a place is scenic and beautiful, it'll be so crowded with people so fast that the misery of overcrowding will balance out the scenery. i.e. think of southern California.

from the land of corn and soybeans...
Steve K.

Greens_Rules

Newly Enlightened
I live in Iowa City, IA. Well when i am at home that is! Over the Road trucker that runs to Washington State every week.

Rob

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Cool, some people from Iowa:) I had been in Pella for the past year but now, I'm back in Cedar Rapids. I grew up in Iowa and have come to enjoy it hear. Most of the people are friendly, not too crowed but the scenery isn't the best, depending where you are. In Pella, we were lucky enough to have the States largest Lake (Lake Red Rock) so that was kinda nice for camping. I know its nothing compared to alot of other places but it was close to home. I'm trying to recruit the guys at work (security department) to get into flashlights. They all think I'm a little crazy but a couple of years ago (when I used to work up here), I got one of the guys to buy a surefire G2. Last night, I brought my new AE 24w HID powerlight and my new Surefire M3 to work and showed the guys. Hehehe, they thought the AE was insane but really liked the M# (except the price).

Latest posts