Canon i 450 Printer Help

Marlite

Enlightened
Hi Everyone

Especially Canon i450 users. I had this problem - black wouldn't print! The email I printed had horizontal smears and words printed with horizontal streaks and blanks. I knew the cartridge was empty, the warning showing in the dialogue box. I usually get 20-25 more pages before this occurs!

I changed the cartridge and ran the alignment program and the last two boxes failed to print and the plus/minus adjustment boxes were only partially numbered and no black. Tried test printing. No black print. Tried head cleaning followed by nozzle clean. No black. So I head clean black only, still no black print. Repeat didn't work.

Recall someone @ Fix your own printer site said to remove carts and head and rub head on a pad of paper towels saturated with alcohol to scrub and unclog holes. I could see me making a mess. I took my old cartridge and dripped 25-30 drops of isopropynol alcohol (standard home medicine chest quality) into the ink contact "sponge" and ran the black cleaning cycle twice and printed a test page with this now "medicated cartridge" which worked! Put in a new (cheap reman- cartridge) from Inkjet Mart and I'm back in business again! Been using reman carts for almost 2 years, 1st clog ever. Guess I used a lot of ink for cleaning before I used the alcohol so that cartridge will be refilled as alcohol will evaporate. Be gentle with copper contacts on heads attached to cartridges. Heads are separate on the Canons and Black Reman Carts cost $2.97 Color Remans $5.58 Can.
Hope this works for someone's other brand as well. Just a small giving back for help I received from CPF's generous members.

Marlite