HDS EDC Basic 60 LE performance

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have one of these and how do the settings work. I presume the main click is maximum on, followed by three decreasing settings, is this correct? What do you think of this light...Is the max setting good enough as a tactical light?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a nice tactical light, one click and its on the max brightness (blinding enough in low light situation).
double click and it goes to primary brightness, another double to a lower secondary brightness. tripple click will activate minimun brightness.
For normal use I would have to cover the lensswitch it on, and then double click to primary. Other wise Max setting is too bright for a medium sized room search.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, one more question...what happens when you click on to max and a second later, hold down the button, (like on a surefire) what level does it go to. On the Basic 60 this goes from primary to max level and when you release, it goes back to primary....

G-2

Enlightened
On a basic, 2 clicks followed by a hold will keep the light on steady high brightness (brightest setting), 1 click to turn it on to 2nd highest setting, 2 clicks and it dim's down to 3rd lowest setting follow with 3 clicks to dim it to it's 4th and lowest setting.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
G-2, thanks, I would like to know what happens on the Basic 60 LE when you click "on" to get max level and then hold down the button....

Y

yourHDSguy

It depends on how quickly you depress the button after the initial release. If you click again quickly it turns off. If you click it on then hesitate before the next click, nothing happens.

Blazer

Enlightened
I'll let you know in a few minutes, UPS is on the way with mine today. weeeeeeeeeee

Edit:
Just arrived, I'm impressed, but then again it's not hard to impress me with a flashlight...but it is a well constructed, versatile flashlight.
gonna take some practice to get used to the settings...I'll update when I learn how to operate it fully.

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main answer I am after is; on the 60 LE, after the original "turn on", what happens if you press on the swith and keep your finger down on it (no clicking) like on a surefire, thanks...

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
cernobila said:
The main answer I am after is; on the 60 LE, after the original "turn on", what happens if you press on the swith and keep your finger down on it (no clicking) like on a surefire, thanks...

You will get a sore finger after a while and nothing else.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks AZLight, I think you answered my question...the reason I asked this is because on the normal Basic 60 given the same sequence, the light goes from primary setting to maximum as long as you keep your finger on the button...when you release your finger it goes back to primary....Looks like on the 60 LE it stays on maximum.

Blazer

Enlightened
cernobila said:
Thanks AZLight, I think you answered my question...the reason I asked this is because on the normal Basic 60 given the same sequence, the light goes from primary setting to maximum as long as you keep your finger on the button...when you release your finger it goes back to primary....Looks like on the 60 LE it stays on maximum.

Yup, tried it,
The LE starts at full brightness, so holding down the button does nothing.
Any other experiments you want me to try?

pcmike

Enlightened
Yup, take some pictures Blazer and don't forget to register in the HDS registry! Welcome to the fraternity (I've got B60LE #2516)!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, looks like I may get the B60LE after all. I like the idea of having the max setting available instantly, once you are comfortable with your surroundings you can then select the ideal lower outputs for the task...I like the size, initial cost, simplicity, versatility and max output of this package...BTW what other lights can give you these same points?...I don't want to spend any more and I want the same size and max output...any ideas?

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I got a Basic 60 a few weeks ago and continue to be incredibly impressed with it. It is much smaller than my Surefire L1, MUCH brighter, more flexible, and has a vastly superior beam (I am not a TIR fan). Amazing to have so much output from something so small. Looking forward to the U85!

cfb

revv11

Newly Enlightened
pcmike said:
Yup, take some pictures Blazer and don't forget to register in the HDS registry! Welcome to the fraternity (I've got B60LE #2516)!

What is the HDS registry?

BTW, HDS Basic 60 is my favorite light.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
yah, whats a HDS registry?
mine is B60LE #2510.

By the way, cernobila, were you hoping that by holding down the switch it will boost brighter output?
well, yup it actually would, but you need to get a HDS 85 ;)

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
pcmike said:

:thanks:

B60LE #2490
Guess it's like a badge number, looks like I've got seniority so far...:nana:

Gotta get the digital camera away from my wife, she's photo crazy. Amassed over 4000 images in about 4.5 years. Thankfully the DVD disks can hold a lot, only filled up 2 so far.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ghost, had no idea what to expect, I thought maybe it would go down to primary setting....anyway, my normal Basic 60 is #1597...if they would make a Basic 85 LE I would most likely get that, I dont think this would happen so I am getting ready to get the Basic 60 LE, this would be good enough...I dont like the extra cost and complications on the U models, I would never use the extra features anyway, under stress you want things to be simple...

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
cernobila said:
Ghost, had no idea what to expect, I thought maybe it would go down to primary setting....anyway, my normal Basic 60 is #1597...if they would make a Basic 85 LE I would most likely get that, I dont think this would happen so I am getting ready to get the Basic 60 LE, this would be good enough...I dont like the extra cost and complications on the U models, I would never use the extra features anyway, under stress you want things to be simple...
I ll hang on to my wallet and skip the 85. Next stop would be a HDS120 once they are produce.
It would be real neat if the LE feature a fast strobe like Gladius.
click> Max > hold > strobe :wow: