What computer(s) do you use ?

What computer(s) do you use (Multiple answers ok)

• PC (Compatible)

Votes: 78 92.9%
  • Apple Mac

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • I don't use a computer !

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

carrot

Flashaholic
What kind of a question is this? Brands? Operating systems?

Brands (desktop):
custom, built by myself

Brands (laptop):
Apple
IBM
Fujitsu

Operating systems:
Gentoo Linux
Mac OS X Tiger 10.4
Windows 2000 SP4

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Fujitsu Siemens
Athlon 64X2 dual core 4.200+
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7800 GT
250 GB SATA
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS and Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcards
etc.

Win XP Home
Netscape
Cubase
WaveLab
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Mechcommander II

bernie

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
What kind of a question is this? Brands? Operating systems?

I deliberately omitted OS's, as I use Apple Mac, and don't know all the variations of Windows.

Please feel free to generate such a poll.

I use Mac OS 10.3.9 Panther on my G3 iMac, with extra memory and upgraded HD.

Others are

Mac OS's

7,8,9,10.1, 10.2, 10.3.1, 10.3.5, 10.3.9, 10.4

That's as much as I know, there may be others

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a home built PC with Win2K Pro, a G3-upgraded PowerMac 9600 with OS 9.2, and a Toshiba laptop with Win98se for daily use.

I also have about 70 others that include Macs going back to 1984--System (Mac OS) 1.1 rocks! :)

Plus Apple IIs, Commodores, and uncommon things like CP/M and Amiga machines.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Under "other" I included Tivo (a custom linux system) A Sharp Zaurus (pda) a Palm Tx (pda).

Under PC (compatible) I included several Intel and AMD powered desktops and laptops running a mixture of linux and windows OSes.

Some one who does not use a computer managed to indicate that in the poll. Howdhedodat?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
PC - Dell Dimension 2300 (I needed something in a hurry when I started university, and they could deliver) - normally I'd have put something together myself. Intel P4, 2.3GHz, 256Mb RAM, patheric i845GL onboard graphics, and I can't even remember what soundcard I stuffed in there, running Windows XP Home. It's a boring system, but is dead stable, and does what I ask of it without grumbling. Haven't even had the cover off other than to clean the cat fluff out of the air filters in over a year.

Also have the following:

Laptop - Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 1000. P166, 32Mb RAM, 2Gb HD, running Win98SE (slowly!). Bought for univerisity/college a couple of years back for about £80. Just a word processor I could take with me really, and it's served that purpose well. Now has started to develop graphics issues, and the battery's just about had it...but after surviving getting dragged back and forth to and from Aberdeen every day for three years and taking the beating it has done, I'm certainly not going to complain, especially given that it was ancient when I got it.

Also - in the "other" category. Amiga A1200, with a Blizzard 68030/50MHz accelerator, 64Mb of memory, 4Gb harddrive, running Amiga OS 3.0. This is all but retired now as I've got an emulator which is at long last stable, and runs just as quick on the PC, and I don't really have space in here for it as well!

Have got an Acorn Archimedes A5000 (Risc based machine) that I wish I had space to set up as well.

Really want to get a proper RiscPC at some point, but haven't managed to afford one yet. They seem to be holding their value astonishingly well!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked on Macs... Actually, I used to build Macs for Liberty Mutual and Avid, but I've never particularly enjoyed them. I'm a PC guy.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My kids gave me this for Christmas in 04:

eMachines T3256 with:
AMD Athlon 3200+
160 GB HD
512 Meg RAM
48x CD-ROM
10/100 Eithernet
5 USB ports
8 in 1 media reader
56k Modem
DVD+/-RW
NIVIDIA GeForce MX Graphics

All that into a Sharp 15 inch TFT Monitor.

Delvance

Enlightened
Custom built...i'm planning on upgrading soonish actually
P4C 2.8 @ 3.0Ghz
1gig ddr 400 @ 428
Leadtek 6800 agp @ 6800GT+ specs
120gig SATA
Gigabyte 865 chipset mobo

on an LG 8ms 17" lcd

It's amazing how far computers have come recently...a 3 year old computer with a format will still satisfy most home users just for general usage.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
this one i use for internet bs is a retired server board with 2x p3 s 1.4ghz 2gb ram,u160 scsi with 4 146gb 15k drives and 2 dvd recorders.
free except for the capacitors i had to replace on the mobo.
running fedora 3.
i have others starting at a imsai 8080 all the way to a quad ht xeon box.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use a computer ! --->1---->1.79%

Are you on Space Shuttle? (no .. just wondering) how were you able to vote in this poll....

perhaps... a Web-TV or similar such device.. (but doesnt it have a Computer beneth?)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Mac Ibook G4 1.5Ghz with a 60GB HD, 12 inch screen, and a 6 hour battery life. Before that an IBook G3, before that another Mac, and so on.

Just got a gateway Wide screen laptop for school work(programming) with a 80GB HD, 1G RAM, and the whole nine yards. Amazing for videos.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
270, you know there are several very good programming environments for the Mac that also compile for windows :) if you're learning VB or whatever they are calling it now you should check out realbasic.com it's syntax is very similar and the IDE will be familiar enough. It compiles for classic mac os, OSX, windows and even linux, (I think KDE, but I could be remembering wrong, might be gnome... I dont use that often)

also it's almost funny converting C++ programs from macs to windows. Back before everything became a directX plugin program conversions were simpler. I used to laugh out loud, I'd look up a similar windows call to the one I was making on the Mac and, well look, it's exactly the same as in the Mac API. well, look the whole list is nearly the same as the Mac API... it's almost as if someone went through the Mac documentation and duplicated all the system calls for windows... gee, I wonder how they happened :D

around the house I have 6 or so Macs online at any given moment. They range from ancient to recent but all perform useful functions, like media player, house X10 server (running the app I co-authored for home automation XTension) or just being my daughters game machine or my regular work machine here that I'm sitting at now.

there are 2 windows capable machines in the house. One is actually connected, an old gateway under my desk that i have loaded with linux for testing cross compiles, and a REALLY old alpha processor machine currently in the closet, also loaded with linux. It used to be my house firewall/gateway a long time ago. but there is a version of WinNT that can run on the alpha processor.

Been a computer programmer for 15 years, never needed a windows box yet :D

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use a P4 @1.8GHz (512MB RAM 93GB HD) and Windows XP Home as my work machine, a P2 @350MHz (256MB RAM ??? HD) and Windows 98 as my lab computer, and occasionally fire up my SX-64 ("luggable" Commode 64 with 5" color CRT, 80KB RAM and 5.25" 170KB disk drive) on occasion for old time sakes.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
my win2k box just died on me yesterday, (custom-home-built athlon xp 2500, GeForce Ti500, 1GB DDR 333, 40GB Maxtor ATA100, all from a few years ago)...

so i'm using my 1GHZ emac that's upgraded to 1GB ram (helps immensly) for now untill I can afford to *fix* the wintel machine(which means, take opportunity to UPGRADE!)... used to run linux a lot (slackware), kinda got sick of having to compile source code for every app I wanted, and kinda got sick of going to the command line and fiddling with samba config files and recompiling the kernel every time I made a system change, had wine/winex working for awhile t run windows progs... decided to go back to windows/mac only because i'm just more of a GUI kinda guy, though it sure does look a lot COOLER to be punchin in commands at a promt! lol