The main problem with handheld torches is..

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main problem with handheld torches is....

that they are..

HandHeld !!

OK, so a few you can hold in your mouth.

But in general holding a torch uses up one hand.

Some will stand on end, great indoors.

Solutions---

1) 6 fingered glove..think about it, (6th finger on top or bottom of glove, open ended of course.
2) Wrist strap and torch holding strap..ie figure of 8 type, velcro or elastic fixing.
3) Small bean bag, possibly elastic fixing to torch
4) Headlight mounting, elastic or fixed to hat
5) Lanyard looped around coat / shirt button (my favourite when de-rigging equipment)

6) I have a great suggestion, which requires photo, when I work out how to post photo's full size, any help appreciated

Your suggestions..

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think the ideal hands-free carry would be an automatic, shoulder mounted light that follows your head and eye movements precisely-exactly like the Predator's blaster in the popular flicks, but maybe with slightly less resemblance to a tumescent male member!

Just a thought...

Difficult to be discreet though...

Never with Black Tie...

atm

Enlightened
A simple but very versatile little torch that is often overlooked is the Inova 24/7. Bought with the accessory pack you have many options, including; standing upright, on it's side, lying on it's back, clipped to clothing (pocket or any other area a clip can slide down on), hung by lanyard (faces forward), used with the headband as a very effective and comfortable headlight, as well as magnetic and wall mounting options.

The output is excellent (with 8 different modes to choose from including 2 white light levels (and the emergency strobe is amazingly effective)), battery life good, it's strong and waterproof and it's not at all a cheap/nasty plasticy thing to handle.

You can't wear it like a 6th finger, but it doesn't look anything like a tumescent male member.

As for posting pics, you need to make them no more than 640 pixels wide, upload them to a webserver, then use the method in the link below to actually post them.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

Andrew

IonFire

Enlightened
In a pinch, a couple elastic bands to hold it onto the back side of my right wrist, works like a champ.

Kind of similiar to the ones that strap onto a handlebar.

IF

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
I just watched the move "The Cave" over the weekend and they had lights strapped to the back of their hands. It looked like a converted headlamp, it had a wire running down to a battery pack on their waist. The lights had huge reflectors.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is why they make headlamps. Remember to buy one instead of your next torch.

I got a nite-ize headband. In addition to the minimags it is designed for the River Rock 2AAA, Nuwai TM-310H and Dorcy AAA will also fit. My UK 2AAA eLED clip will also work with it.
I expect most metal AAA/AA lights to work Plastic 2AA lights probably won't.

There is also the Quig light that sits in a shirt or blazer pocket with a head that swivel up to shine light in front of you.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for the most part the headlamp has this nicely covered.

You need light generally in the direction your head is turned. once the headlamp is fitted it just does that. The headlamp is not perfect as it does not move with eye movements but for practical applications head movement is enough.

IonFire

Enlightened
Yes headlamps, they do work best, but are a pain to edc.:grin2:

Get a lot of funny looks wearing them in public in daylight too.

IF