Been told "Sir you can not have a light in here"

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks.. Has anyone ever been told they can't have a light in a club or any place? Night clubs in Boston sometimes have a metal dectector and a "pat down" to enter. I'm concerned that my E1L would be taken if I have it with me 24/7.

Does anyone have an suggestions or stories?

prof

Enlightened
uh, stay out of the clubs?

Or, consider plastic. Not my favorite, but works.

Personally I take a minimag with nite-eze dropin when I fly--I figure that everyone knows what a minimag is, and even if they take it, I'm not out that much cash.

mateen

Enlightened
I have usually found that the smaller the light the less likely it is to be looked at twice. Also if it is clipped to your keys security doesn't seem to care much about it. That is how I've taken my Firefly and McLux PD into nightclubs and planes in the past.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, never had a problem carrying a light with me; flying, into all kinds of clubs, even into some seriously secure Federal buildings in W. Virginia.

I personally, however, make it a point not to go to commercial establishments that run metal detectors and frisk their patrons. If I am not making a fuss then there is no reason for them to want to lay their hands on me. I don't go to our state capital here for the same reason unless I have to for work. YMMV

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
mateen said:
Also if it is clipped to your keys security doesn't seem to care much about it.

They seem not to like my keys. Don't know why.

ultrastinger.jpg

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Yes, this happened to me once, and only once mind you.

I was at a Strip Club and I got into the club fine, with the Light in plain view on a Holster by my side.

Eventually when I got up two bouncers came up to me and asked why I had the Light. I explained that due to a legit eye condition my vision was not too strong, thus I take the Light with me. I asked them if it was against the rules why I was not stopped when checked at the door.

Long story short, we compromised, and I put the Light in the car, and they let me stay in the club.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... Just wondering why any place would have a rule against having a flashlight? I've never been stopped for having one on me, and I would definitely not go into any place that has a rule against me having one... :) Weapons, I can understand, but a flashlight? :shrug:

Regarding the metal detector... Does anyone know if a titanium flashlight will get through one without activating it? :naughty:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I imagine some museums may have rules about lights. They keep the light level fairly low to reduce fading IIRC.

I can see a movie theatre saying "no" too.

I don't recall having to surrender my lights anywhere.

Daniel

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it kinda lies along the old line of "The first rule of breaking the rules is to never get caught". I've taken my flashlight into movies and museums time and time again, and as long as you're not doing anything stupid nobody's going to mind. It's not being sneeky - it's being prepaired. I've never had anybody make a big deal out of any of my EDC gear..

And I'm not going to any club that requires a pat-down before entry. I don't feel like I need to go anywhere that badly..

bole64

Newly Enlightened
When I did the Statue of Liberty tour in NY, I had my Surefire 6P on me. They have airport style security with x-rays and medal detectors. When they got to my 6P the guy called over his supervisor and asked him what to do. He took it, turned it on, and said, "it's just a flashlight," while handing it back to me. So I don't think you will have a problem.

dim

Enlightened
While not a an Ultra-Stinger, my EDC, a Gerber LX3.0, is a fair chunk of metal that may cause a security guard to err on the side of caution. On a recent trip to the county courthouse (don't you just love traffic tickets?), I opted to leave my LX3 in the car. I still had my Dorcy AAA though. It was scanned with my keys and other pocket detritus without issue.

dim

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
gregw said:
Regarding the metal detector... Does anyone know if a titanium flashlight will get through one without activating it? :naughty:

Even if it was plastic, it will probably set it off due to the batteries.

I agree with Revolvergeek's approach. I prefer not to go anywhere that requires invasive security. Heck, I even can't stand those warehouse stores that want to check your recipt when you leave.

If you can't avoid, something small (ala Firefly) attached to your keychain will probably get past most invasive security.

In places like a theater, you should be able to carry in pretty much anything you like as long as it doesn't leave your pocket.

-john

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Mammoth Cave park in Kentucky and got yelled at a couple of times for using a flashlight on the underground tour I was on. The tour was supposed to be by gas lantern light only, and no other lights were allowed. I had a broken toe at the time though, and got in trouble for using my ARC AAA on some uneven gorund we were walking on. Only about 1/3 - 1/4 of the people had lanterns (I didn't)

I have to walk through a metal detector going into and out of work every night (UPS). I carry a UK 2L incan, a PT Blast, and an Inova Microlight into work every night. The detector does not go off as long as I have the lights in separate pockets. If the blast and 2L are in the same pocket, the detector will go off. Occasionally the head of security will be in the guard doing random checks. My lights set off the detector (on the same split ring at the time) and he asked me about them. I turned on the UK 2L as it was aimed directly at his face. He didn't ask any more questions. FWIW the titanium card (from CountyCom) in my wallet never set off the detector.

-Keith

Monolith

Enlightened
gregw said:
Hmmm... Just wondering why any place would have a rule against having a flashlight?
I'm thinking that an E2D would be enough to warrant "no flashlights." And the brass knuckle flashlight with an LED taped to it probably won't pass muster either....:D

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once blinded a ghoul in a hanuted house. Mind you I was 18 shades to the wind and would have NEVER done it sober. it was so funny how it was pitch black and then "BLAM" U2 on high.... i "flashed " is a number of times.. That should have gotten me kicked out but for some reason didn't. I think the ghoul like my light lol

I get worried about the normal places like clubs, bars etc... not that I go there all that often, just don't want to lose a light, ya know?

Now for the real question: Has anyone been pulled over by a cop and displyaed their lights for them?

I have a number of friends who are cops and I always display the newest for them... i wonder if anyone trys to impress/get out of a ticekt with impressive candle power :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monolith said:
I'm thinking that an E2D would be enough to warrant "no flashlights." And the brass knuckle flashlight with an LED taped to it probably won't pass muster either....:D

maybe i'm not seeing it right... How is the E2D a weapon? It looks kinda like a slight weapon but, not too scarey lol

Then again, it's agressiveness was enuf for me to get a E1L just incase :p

Malpaso

Enlightened
I don't mind "taking my business elsewhere". I love it when businesses think their rules are more important than their revenues.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover: haha I took a 2D cyan LuxIII mag into a movie theatre once. Blasted the screen a few times from the back in a sweeping motion durring the commercials. People just though the projector was messed up or something, but it was bright!!! Of course I hide it in my coat. Soon I'll be building a 2C pewter cyan light, that will fit in my back pocket for summer time theatre shenanagains!

Anyways, more on topic, I'd say a E1E would be ok. A E2E would be pushing it as it could be used for punching or hitting someone on the side of the head with the bezel (think e2defender ouch). And anything else longer that is metal would be considered a weapon in a club. A G2 since it's plastic might be ok, but it's pretty big so they might think you'll be shining it everywhere.

I say short, and small like E1* or McLuxPD/HDS/FenixL1P they would probably let it slide due as long as it's on a belt clip or looks like you carry it everywhere and you're not just bringing it in to cause trouble.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried lights like a QIII or Inova X5 into concerts. These are pretty innocent-looking lights and haven't caused any problems.

I've read threads about what knives are allowed where, and one rule seems to be that knives that are more radical looking get more attention, and serrations get more attention. So a non-serrated plain-looking knife can get by where others can't. The same thing might be true with lights. A "tactical" looking light with points around the bezel would probably draw more attention than a mini maglite of the same overall size.