What's the diff........??

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me the difference between a stippled reflector and one with Orange peel ?

I don't mean the mechanical difference, that I know. I mean, for instance a MOP vs a Med stippled. Is one better than another or are they just two ways to get to the same thing ? (Same for heavy and light)

Thanks, Cliff

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. As I understand it a Stochastic (or "orange peel") reflector has little dents in it. A stippled reflector has little bumps or some other type of surface coating (such as a flat spray paint).

Yooper

Enlightened
Neither is "better". It depends on what you want.

If you use a smooth reflector you'll maximize throw but there will be artifacts in the beam due to the filament of the bulb not being a point source of light, and not much of a spill beam.

Stippled reflectors have a "rougher" surface than orange peel reflectors. This will cause more diffusion of the beam - you'll get a more even, flood type beam but not quite as much throw. Heavy orange peel will diffuse the beam more than medium or low orange peel. Heavy stippled will diffuse the beam the most, resulting in the least throw.

What I don't know is where the crossover is, if any, in roughness or beam profile. For example, is a heavy orange peel about the same as a light stipple? I don't know, but I think the crossover is about at that point.

There is a thread in the Group Buys and Passarounds forum about a reflector passaround that has some beamshots I think. Search for that...

litho123

Enlightened

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Thanks folks, especially for the beamshots, they were (dare I say it?) enlightening. Seriously though, this is excellent info. Those beamshot postings should be in a sticky, especially for us newbies.

Thanks again, Cliff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only used the orange peel (light and medium) aluminum reflectors but I've stippled countless reflectors using two different techniques. The one that results in a heavier stipple gives a beautiful large hotspot and is what I have in my ROP Low. HUGE hotspot. But the heavier the stippling, the more it decreases the throw.

Personally, if I want a lot of throw, I'd go with either a smooth or a light orange peel and if I want a large hotspot, I'd go with a medium or heavy stipple.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what Litho123 referenced. Also I too can hardly if ever, tell the difference between the #6 and #7 stippled aluminum reflectors.

Enjoy!

Yooper

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
I've only used the orange peel (light and medium) aluminum reflectors but I've stippled countless reflectors using two different techniques. The one that results in a heavier stipple gives a beautiful large hotspot and is what I have in my ROP Low. HUGE hotspot. But the heavier the stippling, the more it decreases the throw.

Personally, if I want a lot of throw, I'd go with either a smooth or a light orange peel and if I want a large hotspot, I'd go with a medium or heavy stipple.

cratz, unless you're depositing aluminum, I think you're talking about sputtering. It's slightly different. The stippled reflectors are manufactured that way, i.e. the reflective surface itself is stippled, it's not clear paint added on top. Stippling doesn't kill throw nearly as much as the sputtering process.

Not trying to be contrary or :poke: , just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same thing, especially since the definition of stippling is the essence of this thread.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right... I used the wrong word... but the effect is going to be strikingly similar. And my comments regarding which I'd use if wanting throw vs which I'd use if wanting a large hotspot are still dead on.

wink2.gif

Certainly didn't mean to imply that my sputtering was on par with the custom made stippled aluminum reflectors recently coming to market.