Just got my Fenix L1P

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
Its a nice light, a little larger than I thought it would be but, I like the tail clicker so its all good.

The light came in a bubble mailer, the box was crushed with typical post office handling, but the light itself was fine. I threaded the lanyard through the two holes (it was pretty tough, are you supposed to use both holes?) and the light was good to go. I like the little holster, even I probably won't use it for carry, the lens protection is appreciated.

The beam strength is several notches below the SL PP 4AA Lux, and several above my little photon with a new battery. The light has a just noticable green tinge which I was not expecting. Usually I find blue (as on the SL) - maybe I'll post a pic later and you can be the judge. It was not as green as my costco lux light, and I'd say the amount of light was about equal.

Even though its a nice light, I'm not sure where its going to go. Its size makes it a little awkward for a key chain light (might be going for an Arc AAA next) and its a little to big to edc in a (jeans) pocket. You don't need its smaller size for a car/around the house light, so I'm not sure where its use will be. Maybe when I'm travelling or have a bag with me. It just seems kind of limited. How do you guys carry yours? I know there are some key chain users but my keychain is at max jeans pocket comfort size.

Edit: I've been looking at the beam more closely and notice a weird phenomenon: right in the middle of the hotspot there is a circle of pure white, this is surronded by a ring of faint green and then a ring of faint violet. I'm not sure if my camera can capture it, but I'll try later. Is this weird?

Last edited:

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
OK, here we are, I took a picture of the Fenix beam compared with my SL beam. I bumped up the color saturation because it was hard to see the colors in the picture, but I have not actually added any color anywhere. To the eye, the colors are not this visible, but they are definitely there. See the band of green and band of violet?

L1Pcolors.jpg

Normal or not?

tron3

Banned
I had to look very carefully, but yes, it does seem to be the faintest sign of green. But you really have to want to see it. Otherwise I thought it is completely white.

I see no violet, but I did notice a faint ring outside the main corona. I thought R-bin LED was the best. What gives here?

:awman:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
"R bin" is just the brightness, or flux bin. You can have a really ugly tinted LED with a multicolor beam, and still be an R flux bin.

If you want to be sure the L1P you have is up to CPF connossieur standards, you should probably buy several, pick the one you like best, and give/sell the rest to family and friends.

thezman

Enlightened
Learn how to swap emitters and you'll have much more control over what your eyes see.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
My L1P should arrive in a few days. I have my fingers crossed for a good emitter tint. My L2P looks great. I got very lucky with my first Dorcy Metal Gear too. That was the last light I purchased before knowing there was so much variation from one to another. I was astounded that it looked so good for that price without knowing there was some luck involved.
I did finally get a white Nuwai 2xAAA/1xAAA, that only took 5 tries
smile.gif
but all the others are certainly useful for me and the two I gave to my girlfriend and sister.
It's an interesting effect to look at your beams together, then turn them all off but one... and slowly watch it turn "white" as long as the tint isn't too far off.
I'm sure it's been posted before, but about 8 inches worth of dental floss makes threading the Fenix lanyard holes a very easy task.
I'm in the same boat as the OP but with my L2P since I rarely use a holster. I think the L1P is going to be just right for me.

paulr

Flashaholic
The L1p is definitely too big for a keychain by my standards. I just drop it in my pocket and it's fine.

There are several posts from a while back about how to install the lanyard. The best way seems to be make a loop of dental floss or thin wire from a trash bag tie around the lanyard, and poke the ends through the hole in the light and pull through. Probably easier to show a picture than try to explain in words.

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
Threading the laynard only took about 2 minutes to figure out. Some floss would have been easier, I just used a toothpick to push the ends through the holes.

I'm just a little unhappy with the beam color of an otherwise excellent light. The size is also a little awkward, but it still has its place in the line up. Two more lights til I'm done for a while: G2 and Arc AAA (or maybe a Peak - gotta do a little more research).

It is true that if you look at the light alone, it looks pretty white, but what can I say, I like to compare (though I can still see the color variations looking at the beam alone).

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I recently got two L2P's and one L1P, and they are all a brilliant white like your shot on the left. They are even whiter in color than my SF-L2 in high or low beam. There is no green or purple tint or corona to any of my three Fenix's. I really looked carefully after reading this.

I think you got a bad LED bulb, and would try to get it replaced. Can't hurt to ask, and use the image you have above.

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
That Fenix light also looks too green to me. I have three and they all have varying degrees of green, but it's only noticeable when comparing beamshots of all three with brand new batts.

I actually carry mine in the key pocket of my jeans, since that keeps it away from my keys and readily accessible. It's awkward at first, but once I got used to it now I love it.