• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Fenix L1P on 3-4 volts?

frisco

Enlightened
It's been several months now since the Fenix LP1 has been out and there has to be more than a couple people out there useing a higher voltage battery! I have read most of the posts on this subject and not one person has smoked a L1P head??? or there not speaking up? I have tried the L1P with a CR2 battery(nekomane body mod) for about 5 seconds and I loved it! I'm just not brave enough to put it through the test! Anybody here useing a higher volt battery on there L1P head??? And for how long???

Thanks, frisco

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Hi, i have the head off my L1p wired to a 4xAA battery holder
this has 3xAA ni-mh and a copper strip instead of one of the AA
fully charged it is reading 4.3v
when connected it is running at 3.5v
these are just taped onto the handlebars of my mountain bike, and a local on/off road/dirt track route takes me around 1 hour
ambient temperature recently is around 7c and the head only gets warm not hot
.... so i say don`t hesitate any longer !! :)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im running mine off a AA Li-ion/ 4,2V off the charger.
Man it is bright :D

Dont know how long it will last like this though..

Benny

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Benny,

You are running a stock L1P with a 14500 cell? For how long (continuous or intermittent)? Whats the runtime like? You are more of a risk taker than me. I put LiIon in everything, but I love the L1p in stock form so much I dont want to ruin it (or risk it) with a double voltage. I've heard a few folks running an L2p head on L1 body and 14500 but not ramrodding 4V to the poor thing. Darnit, you have me tempted to try....

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have a clue on runtime,it gets waay to hot to try.
:D
I figured it was a nice way to justify a Millermod on it if i blew it up ;)
But it just keeps on running... :shrug:
I use it on low for the most of the time though,but it is so funny to click high every once in a while.The output is insane!
Almost puts my LionCub to shame.

Since i have not managed to blow up the durn thing,im figuring i must have a J or K bin in there.And that the circuit is running DD when the voltage is to high.

Benny

randyo

Enlightened
If you look at the output of the 1 Watt SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon, it is indicative of how much you can force out of these emitters. Obviously there are differences in the electronics, but the SL is using 6V, and driving the emitter pretty hard. I've left my SL on for 2 hours and believe me, that polished aluminum reflector/heat-sink was VERY hot. I don't see anything on my L1P which leads me to believe it would be capable of handling that much heat dissipation. Although it might be fun to do, and perhaps OK for short durations, I wouldn't recommend it for continuous operation.
I guess the real proof would be for someone to get brave, stick in a L-Ion, and let it run for 2 or 3 hours sitting on the table. THEN check the temperature. What the heck, it's only forty-something bucks.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
randyo said:
If you look at the output of the 1 Watt SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon, it is indicative of how much you can force out of these emitters. Obviously there are differences in the electronics, but the SL is using 6V, and driving the emitter pretty hard. I've left my SL on for 2 hours and believe me, that polished aluminum reflector/heat-sink was VERY hot. I don't see anything on my L1P which leads me to believe it would be capable of handling that much heat dissipation. Although it might be fun to do, and perhaps OK for short durations, I wouldn't recommend it for continuous operation.
I guess the real proof would be for someone to get brave, stick in a L-Ion, and let it run for 2 or 3 hours sitting on the table. THEN check the temperature. What the heck, it's only forty-something bucks.

I dont think that is a fair comparison,the SL Propoly must have a resistor of somekind,if not the emitter would be toast in no time.
The Fenix is using a boost converter to feed the emitter the voltage it needs.
When given more than it really needs it goes Direct drive,supplying the emitter with 4.2V in my case.For the emitter to take that kind of voltage it needs to have a J bin or K bin to survive.

This is my theory...

If someone else tryes this it is at own risk,and the survival of the Fenix will depend on the famous Luxeon Lottery.

From the looks of it,my Fenix can handle the Voltage.But its life is shortened by the big overdrive.

Benny

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheusT1 said:
When given more than it really needs it goes Direct drive,supplying the emitter with 4.2V in my case.For the emitter to take that kind of voltage it needs to have a J bin or K bin to survive.

How sure of this are you? If the circuit converts to direct drive when using a li-ion, a simple DMM reading would tell you how much current the led was seeing. We are well aware of the Lux I specs, and you wouldn't need to know the bin info.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
smile.gif
is anybody out there running a L0p on a li-ion rechargeable ???
come on guys dont sit on the fence .... DO IT !!!! lmao

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is only speculation from my side,

But it seems like the apropriate answer.

Benny

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I'm still in the coward/interest camp on this one. I've got a MillerMods driver that handles the LiIon cell with ease, but my stock L1p is kind of a mainstay, I use it as a reality check to keep from going gonzo with custom project lights. A reminder of the KISS principle expressed in flashlight form and function. Even reverted back to a single stage stock switch. My evil twin keeps suggesting to try the LiIon in it....

Benny, you can sympathise with this one....

Once upon a time I had a really cool Icarus custom TriLuxIII 2C with Fatman and dimmer pot. It ran beautifully on 2x 18500 cells in a custom holder. Fatman was rated for a max Vin of 12V. My brother suggests replacing the 2x 18500 with 3x R123, as they are the same length and maybe it would run more efficiently with a higher source voltage. 12.6V in a 12V bag.

I N S T A N T L Y

White smoke billowing out of the light as the emitters flicker slightly, happened within 1/2 second of hitting the power switch. I done killed the Fatman, and killed him dead in an eyeblink, from a little bit too much Vin to a boost circuit. OOOOOOPS. Thats what keeps me anchored to the coward/interest camp on this one.

;)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oouch,

I feel the pain.

But you are comparing apples to oranges here a Fenix is not the Rolls royce of Flashlights the way i see it.
And i really wanted that Millermod,catch my drift.
But now it seems like i dont need a Millermod,because my Fenix Runs Great on
Li-ion.

I could not be happier :D

And if it goes it goes,then i`ll just buy a Millemod.

It has to be said that i would not even think about doing this with any of my Custom lights,unless the intention was to upgrade it later with some better circuit or Luxeon.

:nana:
Benny