Is Miltitec-1 grease okay for my ARC AAA's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colubrid

Enlightened
I hope this stuff gun enthusiasts swear by is okay for my ARC AAA's. I put it on about 9 of my ARC's and now I am worried I might have used the wrong grease.

Anyone not familiar with Militec-1 grease it is a synthetic metal conditioner.

www.militec-1.com

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you're worried, immediately wash all the o-rings with soap to get rid of the lubricant. Leave one o-ring coated with the stuff. If your o-rings crack and/or dissolve within a week (or more), it was a poor choice. :green:

I use lube-gel from RatShack; never a problem with o-rings.

colubrid

Enlightened
greenLED said:
If you're worried, immediately wash all the o-rings with soap to get rid of the lubricant. Leave one o-ring coated with the stuff. If your o-rings crack and/or dissolve within a week (or more), it was a poor choice. :green:

I use lube-gel from RatShack; never a problem with o-rings.

Take the O-rings off?? How do you get these puppies off (or on) without tearing them? Do you pull them over the threads hoping they will not catch and tear?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup. Unless the Militec has damaged them in the last 40 minutes, they'll be just fine - they stretch quite a bit.

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
I thought I read somehwere where Peter said that petroleum products will not hurt the O-rings in the ARC because they are made of a special material (?). I don't know what the Militec-1 grease is,.. so I have no idea if it will hurt the O-rings.

Taking nine ARCs apart is no picnic. I hope that Mr. Granese will chime in before I have to take them off:bumpit: .

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm no expert, and i have no idea what's in militec, but i can't imagine it doing any harm :shrug:

i do think it'd be a little runny for this though...

personally, i use nygel on all of my lights ;)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid said:
This militec-1 grease stuff is real thick and sticks.

Can you explain what you mean? Militec 1 is some of the runniest oil I have ever used. If you imagine that you beat an egg for an omelette it's sort of that (approximately) in contrast to some greases which are much thicker and don't run.

I tried using militec 1 on my arc aaa - I found that it migrated very quickly and the action degenerated. Just my 2 cents. Didn't affect them at all (this was ages ago) but I ended up using another grease that actually stayed!

FWIW, I also used militec-1 on the tail of my mag 3d but found out very quickly that militec-1 doesn't conduct.

Spudman

Enlightened
Grox,

Militec-1 grease is different from regular-old militec-1. You are thinking about the regular lube stuff and it is more like an oil. The grease is just what you'd expect a grease to be.

Gary

icecube

Newly Enlightened
After I decided the switching action could be smoother due to the o-ring, I -ut a little -enetrating fluid on it...

Never had a -roblem.

Ahem.

Go-hergoingwildGo-her

cy

Flashaholic
best lube for ARC AAA is nyogel 959. most any lube will work when you are not having contact issues.

AAA alk seems to leak more than any other alk cell. most intermitten issues are traced to AAA alk cell leaking at base.

nyogel 959 seems to cure contact issues with most every light used on, including Kroll contact issues. Surefire uses 959 at factory.

main problems is finding a small container of 959. a little bit will last most a lifetime. Seems Cobb was thinking of selling 959 for a fundraiser. may be worth sending him a PM.. :D

cy

Flashaholic
$9 for a 10 gram tube + shipping at lighthound.

where's Cobb?

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
this stuff works great and is cheap, i use to use it back when i wrenched on trucks, 2 oz is only 3 bucks it is what is used on connectors and threads and light seals on commercial trucks, its a light grease, worth a look, having said that im actualy using this and nyogel as a comparrison
it is non-conductive
795-NYK.jpg

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
if you go over to militecs site. you'll see in the knife section there is a document on how the knife collector lubed his knife. after its applied, you will have to add heat. the knife guy uses a blow dryer afterward to dry(i guess) the militec from getting all over the knife.

NoShadow

Enlightened
colubrid said:
I hope this stuff gun enthusiasts swear by is okay for my ARC AAA's. I put it on about 9 of my ARC's and now I am worried I might have used the wrong grease.

Anyone not familiar with Militec-1 grease it is a synthetic metal conditioner.

www.militec-1.com

I have used Miltec and I doubt you have done irreparable harm to your O-rings. I spoke with the local maintenance technician at one of our local McDonald's restaurants and asked him where they buy the lubricant for all the 0-rings in the food service equipment and he gave me a tube of what they use. It works well for me. Just a little goes a long way. I would e-mail ARC and ask your question. Can't go wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.