Trouble with Vital Gear Clickie

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I just received two VG bodies. 1 for my KL1 and 1 for my KL4. I'm having trouble with the one using the KL4. It didn't want to stay clicked on. I swapped switches and it does the same thing with the KL1. It feels kinda spongy compared to the one that works consistently.

Anyone experience this before?

How can I take the switch apart without destroying anything?

I haven't contacted Lighthound yet. I'm sure he'll take care of it, I just thought maybe I coud investigate a little further before I send it back.

The bodies are sweet though and I love the bezel down carry. I'm not too excited about the reliability so far.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Ok, something strange here. The other one, the firm one, is acting up too. It will work, I set it down, and five minutes later nothing. I can unscrew the tailcap a little and then it works. Five minutes later, nothing. Screwed on really tight it works....then not. Really loose it works....then not.

I'm not a TOTAL moron. But what the flip? How tight should they be screwed on? If that's even the problem.

I hope I'm doing something wrong and they aren't defective.

lexina

Enlightened
try and do a search - I remember reading about the VG switch problem in earlier treads and some DIY fix-it that was posted.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think that instead of tearing it apart I'll just get ahold of Lighthound and see what he wants to do.

Longbow

Enlightened
Yeah, LunarTic is right. Yesterday John of Lighthound fame e-mailed me saying he'd shipped my VG F2. I don't anticipate any problems with it, but if any exist I know John will make it right.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this still a problem with the latest VG bodies? If so, I'm surprised they're so popular considering the poor design and QC issues from the many readings/mentions I've seen on this problem. Or is the problem sporadic?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I have said it many many times, the tailcaps of these lights are very poor. I have told many people that there money is better spent elsewhere. I have had 3 of them, and all of them had problems. THe first 2 I had were the new ones, and they had resistence (light wasnt as bright as it should be), and then I got the third one and I had to replace the O-ring, and now it works well, but I have to loosen or tighten the tailcap when using different batts so that the metal will touch the bat. VG just isnt worth the time and frustration IMHO.

-David

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Well, we'll see. I contacted Lighthound and he is sending me replacements and prepaid postage to send the original two back. I hope these work alright.

I also ordered a SW02 for my M3. I'm probably more excited to get that than the other stuff.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing VG products but I'm not entirely optimistic about the new bodies.

Although to be fair, I have two U2's and one of them had the switch problem that I corrected by bending up the little tabs on the inside of the switch.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably its a quality issue, mine has been working flawless for a few months now, talk to lighthound he will take care of you.

HTH
AlexGT