Widest Flood From A Single Cell?

Spin

Enlightened
Which led light has the widest flood using a single AA, C, D or CR123?

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
imho, look into getting a Nuwaii Q3. Great Flood beam very simillar to that of a Surefire L4 only not as bright. The Q3 works great with regular CR123 but it does way better with 4.2V RCR123 rechargeables.

greenLED

Flashaholic
An L4 will give you a floody beam. Also, Lux-modded Infinities give really nice, smooth, floody beams - they're perfect.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
A KL4 on a Surefire or Vital Gear 1 cell body is going to give you a lot of flood in a small package. I dont think the QIII is nearly as much of a flood. I like the beam on the QIII a lot, but I never really thought of it as a flood like the KL4, more of a nice hotspot and fairly bright spill.

Spin

Enlightened
I appreciate the suggestions concerning my request for a "wide flood" but i did mention a "single cell" light not multicell!!!!!!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to wait a while (May, by the last update...but who really knows), but the LRI Photon Proton single AA light will be all flood due to its six 5mm Nichia CS LED cluster. While these LEDs might be "low tech" by current standards, they still offer the best lumens/watt available and the light will have lots of sweet features like infinite brightness levels and a red LED for night vision. Lots of anticipation and hype surrounding this one, but LRI puts out a good product and I think the Proton will live up to it when it finally launches.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one of those was multicell?? They're all single except for the L4, and having read GreenLEDs posts in the past I'm sure the idea was to create a TW4 or similar running on one 123 cell..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Gerber/CMG Infinities, Arc AAA and AA, and the Dorcy AAA (old style) all give a pretty good flood beam.

Geoff

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
The Gerber/CMG Infinities, Arc AAA and AA, and the Dorcy AAA (old style) all give a pretty good flood beam.

Geoff
Agreed, Milkyspit put a 26k led and Write Right in a DorcyAAA for me, and it's a nice tiny flood. He also WriteRighted my Pimped Q3, and it floods nicer, while still having a hotspot.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For relatively bright lights, it would pretty much have to be a KL4 on a single cell body.

For less bright options, the Infinity Ultras would be up there. I also did a Solitaire mod with a sanded down Nichia CS that runs direct on a 10440 LiON cell. That thing is ALL flood and has a wider beam profile than an Ultra.

Whoever mentioned the Q3, esp on an R123 cell... that's a good answer. When I first tried it, I was pretty much blown away by how bright the spillbeam was though mine had a T-bin rather than the stock star!

Edit - just so you know, the red X5 is a single cell light...

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm... Maybe the new CR2 Ion. I was going to say a Solitaire mod like the one in my sigline or a Dorcy mod but they are AAA single cell lights. hmm

greenLED

Flashaholic
ACMarina said:
Which one of those was multicell?? They're all single except for the L4, and having read GreenLEDs posts in the past I'm sure the idea was to create a TW4 or similar running on one 123 cell..

Yup, thank you, ACMarina. I should've said "KL4" (+ single-cell body, obviously).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends on your criteria of "flood".

Most of the widest coverage lights I measured were the general type with a hotspot and side-spill/corona -

Probably not the answer you're looking for but the widest "single cell" coverage I got as in these threads -

Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics
and
Light Coverage - spill-diameter

was actually a Ray-o-Vac floating lantern with the reticulated/orange peel reflector - it managed 122deg which is the coverage of a 12mm lens on a 35mm camera (extremeWide - almost fisheye) using a single lantern cell(!:huh: ).

As examples the measurements I got were (I do realize not all the lights are single cell) -

Light/ Diameter/ Angle/ Lens equiv on 35mm camera
Ray-O-Vac Lantern/ 43"/ 122deg/ 12mm (extremeWide - almost fisheye)
Streamlight Scorpion/ 36"/ 113deg/ 14mm (extremeWide)
SureFire 9P/ 26"/ 95deg/ 20mm (ultraWide)
Ultra-G/ 22"/ 85deg/ 24mm (very wide)
Dorcy 1AAA/ 21"/ 82deg/ 25mm (very wide)
ArcAAA/ 15"/ 64deg/ 35mm (semi-wide to normal)

However for a 1watt Luxeon using a single CR123 cell I really like the inexpensive S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123 - it has a very wide coverage -
but NOT what I would have called flood type beam - it managed 20.5" diameter at 12" - so using the same calculations as above -

S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123 / 20.5" / 81deg / ~25.3mm (very wide)

Fenix L1 v2.5 / 18" / 74deg / 29mm (wide)

MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA / 24" / 90deg / 22mm (very to ultra wide)
- included as a reference - the angle measurements for the regular MiniMag 2AA unmodified with standard incandescent bulb is exactly the same.

I would not regard any of these as true flood lights - just regular type beams with central hotspots but pretty wide side-spill/corona coverage......

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:

Meduza

Enlightened
in you want a real flood it should be a light without reflector or optic and just a bare luxeon, that is the ultimate flood.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon with reflector...I just unscrew the reflector and use bare luxeon, as above.

Latest posts