Anyone got the new Terralux TLE-DB3 yet?

chinesewelshman

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone got their hands on the new version of the Terralux TLE-DB3 yet? I want to upgrade my 3D M*glite and wanted to know how good the new version is.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I got one of these from Flash-lights.com around the end of January. The product number is DB-3W which is the one as shown in the Terralux brochure as "New". It is slightly brighter than the LPR-3 from Tektite, but is not what I would call a monster thrower. In flood mode, it has a huge donut hole at the center.... In spot mode it still has a very small donut hole and a couple of artifacts near the center. Not what I would call a smooth beam. But maybe thats just my particular reflector. (15 years + old Mag 3D). I have not tested the battery life, but flashlightreviews.com has. They show a drop off to 50% brightness after less than 1 hour and then constant for 12 hours, at which time they terminated the test.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've got the first gen one and it's pretty bright for my intended uses. Besides, after "sputtering" the stock reflector, there is no hole or other uggs from it. That is after dialing in the "sweet spot!" Very smooth flood light! Then again, Your Maglite May Vary. . .

Enjoy!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once thought about getting one, but after learning that it's direct drive and that the runtime graph is a bit disappointing, and given that I have a few TLE-5s in hand, I'd rather put good use of the TLE-5s and get the BA-2 adapter instead. Noe, may I know anyone has tried the TLE-5/BA-2 combo on a Mag 3D, what's its performance, and anyone has a runtime graph for such a setup? Thanks.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Yazkaz I have the BA-2 adapter for a 3d Mag. I just bought it out of curiosity back in January.. I installed it with the TLE-5 and played with it for about 10 minutes. Its brightness was on par with the TLE-5 in a MM but the spot is twice as big and of course a lot of side spill.

At the time, I did not have another TLE-5 MM to do a side by side comparison, so everything was from memory. My curiosity then being satisfied, I pulled it out of the Mag and put the DB-3W back in. The BA-2 is now relegated to a spot in the back of my "I might need this some day" drawer.

As far as run time, well I think they advertised it as something ridiculous like 12 days continuous, but that seems a little exagerated. I would guess more like 2 days continuous just based on the Mah of 3 D cells compared to the 2 AA cells of the minimag. I got the adapter from Zbattery for only $3.75. So it was a cheap thrill.

lexina

Enlightened
Does anyone know if this DB-3W will work well with a single 18650 LiIon? I am awaiting a Mag1C (cut-down from a 2C) from modamag and thought of running the DB-3W with a single 18650 in it. Thks.

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite impressed with the TLE-DB3 so far. Installed it about 3 days ago, and given my Mag 3D a good workout. The initial drop looks far worse on paper than a real life scenario, I get an output far superior to the stock Mag bulbs after 8 hours usage. (will post photos if needed)

There is the typical maglite doughnut on wide beam, but it focuses really nicely and provides a decent illumination throw at 75-100 metres, depending on ambient light. ( I ran it in dark conditions, got a decent illumination at 100+ metres over a field, but a better lit urban setting, it was only effective up to about 30 metres)

I'm seriously thinking about overdriving it at 4.8v ( NIMH), or 6v (bog standard D Cells), to see what sort of heat / light output it gives.

Overall, well worth the money, easy to install, impressive little mod.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine this week, and the new version is 90 lumens (v/s 80 for the old one) - it's great! The old version, reviewed on www.flashlightreviews.com, shows that it has a quick initial drop - but the level it drops to is the same (or slightly brighter) level as the initial level on the regular bulb - and on the regular bulb, that levels drops quickly, whereas the DB3 stays at that level for up to 12 or more hours.

As far as real life usage - I have the new version reflector, and on spot it has a really tight hotspot, and on wide you get a donut, but it is very regular and symmetrical, so it disturbs me much less than the weird-shaped one you get with an incandescent. i used it at night in my living room, and the spill lit the forward looking 1/3 of the room (about 120 degrees in front of me), and the spot was absurdly bright.

all-in-all, a good upgrade - and right now only $25 at flash-lights.com. good deal.