Looking for a backup light

Cymro

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks:
I've been EDC'ing a Streamlight TL2 LED for about 8 months now. Many thanks to those of you on this forum who helped me make that choice, and to select the emergency FL I keep around the house!
Now I need to tap your collective knowledge again. I'm looking to carry a backup light. I keep a photon on my keychain, but I'd like a more substantial reserve. I really enjoy my TL2, so something along those lines would be prefereable. In particular I'd like something that runs the same batteries, to limit the backups I have to carry...
This is getting out of control. I can see how flashaholism sets in.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
I really like my River Rock 2AAA LED. Good amount of light, no dark spots, cheap batteries, and the best thing - the cost: under $10 at Target!

rikvee

Enlightened
well.... it could be an opportunity to go beyond the TL-2.
The Pelican 2390 HA3 3W LED has an excellent long throw reflector, a better beam than the SL ProPoly 4AA and is nicer to my eyes than many Surefires, similar to McGizmo, but it's less than 100 bucks (notice the 10 free CR123's in Battery Station's offer).
Very nice shape too, with a professional HA3 finish that's pretty and durable.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
Big fan of my Fenix L0P with one AAA. 30 lumens makes it brighter than a 3 D-cell maglite with standard bulb. (About 24 lumens)

Great to keep in your pocket at all times. Whip it out in a flash until you can get to a "real" flashlight.

The funny part is, that little bugger is probably brighter than any flashlight your friends or family owns.

dim

Enlightened
Many flashaholics, such as myself, carry an AAA flashlight for backup. While AAA batteries may not be a flashaholic favorite because of their limited capacity, for lower current drawing, backup type flashlights, it's not too bad of a trade-off with their small size.

For the keychain, both, the high quality Arc and Peak product lines have strong followings. With its rear twistie w/momentary on, I'm partial to the slightly larger and, at $6, considerably cheaper Dorcy AAA. At approximately 4 lumens from its lone LED, the Dorcy is surprisingly bright and effective, particularly with night adjusted eyes. My best-of-four Dorcy back-up flashlight has a great flood pattern and is excellent for close-up work and at "arms length" when, aided by its rubber boot, used as a "mouth light" for "hands free" work.

Reported to draw 245mA, the Dorcy AAA runs for a reviewed, 3:51:00 to 50% on alkalines. 850mAh NiMH batteries should provide about 3 hours of mostly regulated runtime. I rotate older 600mAh batts in mine with no runtime issues. The Dorcy may be a just a touch too big for most keychains, but as it has that tail switch, my preference, I just keep mine in my pocket. Because the Dorcy is such an excellent little low-level and back-up flashlight, I use mine as much as I use my primary EDC. At $6, the Dorcy AAA is one of the best flashaholic values available.

dim

VWTim

Enlightened
I guess it depends what kind of backup do you want. Something bright that uses 123's like the SL so you can share batteries? Or something small and unobtrusive to carry in addition for true "backup" all else has failed use? Staying with 123's how about a Nuwai Q3, pretty cheap and runs 123's. The Target River Rock 2xAAA is an excellent light, it was my secondary EDC until I got a L0P, now it rides in my backpack. The L0P is and excellent light if you don't mind paying ~$50 for one. I have 2 Sanyo recharables I keep in rotation, so anytime I've used it for a while I just swap batteries.
hth,