Where can I find the runtime chart for SF A2?

stockae92

Enlightened
Where can I find the runtime chart for SF A2?

does it stay flat for 60min?

the search function won't let me search the phrase "A2" :(

stockae92

Enlightened
SF advertise it for 60 min runtime for the bulb

with *only* 50 min in regulation seems a little disappointing

carrot

Flashaholic
In another thread in this forum called "The SF A2," js says that the A2 appears to be designed to cut out at about 50 minutes on purpose, to save 25% of the batteries for the LEDs, leaving you with plenty of extra time and light so you're not in total darkness. For me, having an extra 10 minutes of runtime would be really nice, but not really necessary. I'd definitely like to see a regulated E2 with the same kind of throw the A2 has got, though. However, as a general purpose light, the A2 is fantastic, a light with low flood and a high beam with nice throw for its size.

stockae92

Enlightened
i am trying to weight which one is better: G2 (P60) or A2

from the chart, seems like P60 spend the first 20min brighter than A2 ( > 50 lumen)

and at the cut off of A2 (50 min mark), P60 is having about 55%-60% of its original brightness (maybe about 39 lumen)

and that's still about 78% of A2's brightness, but P60 can give that extra 10-20 min of output

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
stockae92 said:
i am trying to weight which one is better: G2 (P60) or A2

from the chart, seems like P60 spend the first 20min brighter than A2 ( > 50 lumen)

and at the cut off of A2 (50 min mark), P60 is having about 55%-60% of its original brightness (maybe about 39 lumen)

and that's still about 78% of A2's brightness, but P60 can give that extra 10-20 min of output

I've had several G2's throughout the years. There's a reason they are the least expensive light in the SureFire line-up. It really depends on what you're looking for. I need that whiteness and regulation the A2 delivers. That P60 (in any of the compatable lights) is depressing for me after 15-minutes or so. I also prefer the feel of the A2 in my hand.

carrot

Flashaholic
this_is_nascar said:
I've had several G2's throughout the years. There's a reason they are the least expensive light in the SureFire line-up.
What happened to the G2s?

I have to say, after using the A2, I am spoiled... very difficult for me to go back to the G2. On it's own, the G2 feels like a terrific, solid light, but when you compare it to a metal-bodied Surefire... doesn't feel so nice anymore. And the A2's beam is whiter throughout the duration of the batteries.

Actually, stockae92, a better question is which light is right for me? The A2 is not for everyone... in fact, if it were able to use the incandescent on regulation until the batteries were nearly drained, instead of cutting out at ~25%, I'd like it even more.

Last edited:

wattsoccurring

Newly Enlightened
IIRC from reading some previous A2 threads, this is one of those light that generally out performs the lumens claimed by Surefire.
Looking at the overall output chart at Flashlightreviews.com, the A2 scores higher than the P60 lamp.
Even though I haven't had my A2 for very long I'm very impressed with the incan beam even in comparison to my SL Scorpion on fresh batts (nothing scientific about this, just my perception).
For my use, I found the extra utility of the leds was worth the slighlty lower runtime on the incan over the P60.
Plus, by using the leds for many of the tasks that you would be using an incan without that option, you are surely gaining a bit in overall longevity of the batteries (depending on your usage needs etc).
Just a thought...but there are many more people with far more experience than me here who can probably sum things up a little better.

carrot

Flashaholic
wattsoccurring said:
IIRC from reading some previous A2 threads, this is one of those light that generally out performs the lumens claimed by Surefire.
That's right, McGizmo measured about 79 lumens coming from the A2.