Has anyone seen the new Nite-Ize C and D drop ins for sale?

Raven

Enlightened
The Nite-Ize website seems to indicate that they are available, though I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
From what I'm seeing, they don't ship until March 1st at the earlist, along with the colored LEDs and possibly the new tailcap switch, which may not be until April. But hey, that's only a week away. I'm personally getting one for a 3D I keep at work, along with all the color LEDs for my MMs. I have all these lights, some of them brand new from the Target sale, in their packaging, waiting on my desk to be reborn with ten times runtime. It's torture.

Raven

Enlightened
Well, the new Mag drop ins only cover 1-4 cells, so I'd think these new Nite-Ize will be able to find a niche for anyone with one of the old 5 or 6 cell Mags.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Most definitely, 130 hours runtime off a 6D is just worth the weight. I'd really rather have the two 3Ds, but if I ever need an aluminum bat with an LED on it...

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Yeah, Nite Ize must have saw Mag coming. The colored LEDS are probably their lifeline if the new MMs really take off, I'm personally buying one to retire my NI MM. But Mag doesn't mess with colors, which I need.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
But seriously, it was a smart move on Mag's part to phase out the 5-6 cells. the retired 7-cell Mag...well, that just sounds ridiculous. The 6D is probably up there with the Solitaire sales-wise because of how many batteries it takes. The 5D, which is somewhat more common, suffers from the same problem. The 4-cell has become the new maximum size, which has been the opinion of some flashaholics for years. The 3D is a personal favorite of mine because for thirty bucks I can get six NIMPH D-cells and have a working light with ready back-up cells, or two lights at once, no money down on alkalines. With a 6D, I'd be paying thirty bucks to power a single light for who knows how long, with no spare cells. I'll get the NI drop for my 3D, see how I like it, and when Mag comes out with theirs and if the reviews are good, I'll pick that one up and use the NI for an emergency kit light or give it off to a friend, at least it's better than incan. Sure, Surefires blow everything Mag has away, sometimes you need something that can break bones AND light up a room.

Raven

Enlightened
AlexSchira said:
But seriously, it was a smart move on Mag's part to phase out the 5-6 cells.

I never saw the 5 or 6 C cells sold locally, so you're probably right about them being less popular, but I'm glad I own one of the 6C Mags, and wish I had a couple of spares.

Last edited:

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3,4 and 6 D Mag, the 6 D (at least in my case) does not focus the beam as well as the 3 and 4 D versions. The 6 is plenty bright of course but doesn't really help as much because of the pattern. I probably wouldn't worry about getting a LED drop-in for that 6- just because it keeps 6 batteries tied up, when the 3 and 4D actually pattern better and still last appx as long anyway. I am looking forward to the comparison of the Nite-Ize/Mag-LED side by side comparison though- If the Nite-Ize is comparable in output, and half the price---it will probably get my $$...unless I am missing another impt detail?
Rando

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if bought at Walmart/Target, they can be returned if you don't like them, hassle free. Big plus.
Chalk me up as not-very-patiently-awaiting the colored dropins.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a 6D at a construction supply store one time and it looked like a caricature of a flashlight. Plus, it was hanging right next to a 2C light...

Honestly, I'm all for having more options, but I can't imagine ever carrying anything larger than the 4D. Actually, though I own 2 4D Mags, the 3D is the biggest I've touched in the last year. If I needed the runtime of the 6D with an LED, I'd be a lot more likely to take 2 3D lights.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Exactly! I once read a review of the 6D that said a 'police person' recommended it to the reviewer. How many cops carry this thing? I work at a police dept, that's where I first discovered lights. Heck, the 3D I'm going to LED was actually paid for with Chicago tax dollars.
...I'm sorry...but...they left the supply room unlocked?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - Yes this is a pretty accurate timeframe per what I've heard from Nite Ize.

Check out my site as we'll have them as soon as they ship - and at a great price as usual!

http://www.BatteryJunction.com

/MattK

AlexSchira said:
From what I'm seeing, they don't ship until March 1st at the earlist, along with the colored LEDs and possibly the new tailcap switch, which may not be until April. But hey, that's only a week away. I'm personally getting one for a 3D I keep at work, along with all the color LEDs for my MMs. I have all these lights, some of them brand new from the Target sale, in their packaging, waiting on my desk to be reborn with ten times runtime. It's torture.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was from the mid 70's and the Kel Lite days, before Mag ever went into business. I'm sure those guys (it was before the days when women worked the streets), are long since retired and some (may they R.I.P) are probably now in a better place. I don't think anyone in their right mind ever tried to carry a 6 or 7D flashlight in place of either a straight stick or a PR-24. Not to mention that the ASP should have been invented 30 years ago (but that's for another discussion :) ).

Some departments no longer issue a flashlight, it's part of the equipment in the vehicle. Though I do know of several departments that issue their officers their own SL-20. Sorry to hear that yours still issues a 3D Mag, but that's a helluva lot better than the old days when a department (one that I won't mention to protect the guilty) issued flashlight was a 2D rubber light from one of the lesser known manufacturers (i.e. not RayOVac, Eveready, et al) and the batteries were always carbon-zinc. On the other hand, that was probably the reason that companies like Kel Lite, Mag, and Streamlight enjoyed the success that they did right from the very start. :)

So you relieved the city of a $15 flashlight. So what!? Do you realize how much money in paper work you just saved the citizens, by not returning it? ;-)

AlexSchira said:
Exactly! I once read a review of the 6D that said a 'police person' recommended it to the reviewer. How many cops carry this thing? I work at a police dept, that's where I first discovered lights. Heck, the 3D I'm going to LED was actually paid for with Chicago tax dollars.
...I'm sorry...but...they left the supply room unlocked?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I actually got it so easily, because we have a BOX of unopened ones sitting around.
The flashaholic who introduced me to the craze, who just retired, upgraded the place to Streamlights before he left. The Mags are usually car-only gear.
...Funny you mentioned the ASP...I currently own six, in varying colors and types. That I actually paid for, with dept discount online. As you may have guessed, I'm one of the gear guys, hence the easy access to that dusty box of Mags. Technically...the city paid for them, and according to my soon to be sacked supervisor, this means we have to keep them. So, I kept one.
And if I like these drop-ins, I may just keep the whole dang box so the tax payers won't be paying for nothing. What would a little Polish jack of all trades like me...do with twenty three uniform-black 3D Mags?
...Times like these...I'm glad I live with my girlfriend...I'm fine with just the one, because that's all she lets me have.

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this C & D version bulb a 1w bulb or a single 5mm LED? It doesn't state that info on the website. Only gives run-times.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexSchira said:
Most definitely, 130 hours runtime off a 6D is just worth the weight. I'd really rather have the two 3Ds, but if I ever need an aluminum bat with an LED on it...

I've seen a flashlight embedded in a plastic bat, and a wooden bat http://www.davebarry.com/gg/giftguide/2000/docs/gift11.htm and can't help but think that a real aluminum bat would make an excellent host for a bunch of hot LEDs. Think of all the room for batteries; and the extra heft from a SLA battery would not be out of place for defensive purposes either. I mean they sell those aluminum billy clubs to truckers by labeling them as supposed "tire thumpers" (low tire pressure checkers, and no they don't work), so why not make them actually useful too?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
...I just reacived word from Nite Ize via email that they will soon be selling their products at Target.
I'm going to go find some one to hug.