CR2 ION turnaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find amazing the number of these flashlights that have already found themselves on the secondary market.

What is up with this? Don't people like this light? Is it because it doesnt have a luxeon in it?
Is it too small? Is the beam too wide?:awman:

Interesting, A new cool light hits the market seems to sell well and then all of a sudden is all over the BST forums.
Personally I don't get it. I am going to hang on to mine.
It is a really cool little light, that 2 stage switch has a GREAT action, better than most twistys.
Personally I like the CR2 ION. I think it is in terms of form and function this light blows away the much lower priced ARC AAA. My only problem with this light is it's high price. It manages to hold it's own though.
The CR2 ION is a unique light.
Now that I have thought about it a bit I think it is cool to see them on the market, more people get to use them, the price will stabilize, and people who really want a good small and functional wide beam light have a really good light to turn to.
Free market forces at work here I guess.
Yaesumofo

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is because it isnt a luxeon and it is too floody.

-David

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of buying one as an update for my Arc AAA as EDC, but I saw the pic of the ION vs. a Jil at about 20 ft. Although it is brighter, don't think the ION would do all that much that my AAA can't.

I suspect the all-flood beam, which makes the light look less bright than many others, is at fault, in addition to the rather high price for a "keychain" light. I'm not dissing the ION at all here- its just that when someone pays $150, they better get what they are looking for. If the price was around $90, I bet more people would be holding on to them.

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to start a thread that is simmilar to this.
The battle between Jil vs Ion had a deep impact on me especially when I m looking for a CR2 light.
But got to admit the CR2 ion is much better looking than Jil

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR2 ION is very well made, has excellent run time, good tint, and is very small. OTOH it is a pure flood beam, much more than an Arc AAA or even flood-oriented lights like a Nuwai TM-301X-5 or a Surefire L4. Mine required approx 100 degree rotation from reliable off to reliable on, and another 180 degree rotation to high. I think that's expected, but it's a lot of twisting.

There are numerous tasks the CR2 ION is ideal for: anything close up, reading a book on low, hanging inside a tent, looking behind a TV or computer, etc.

However I'd personally prefer a more middle-of-the-road beam design which retains close up utility while giving some mid-range ability. A good example is the HDS beam design -- not too broad, not too narrow.

The Arc AAA beam is another good example that's well matched to its output and intended usage.

I'm not sure it's possible to achieve a narrower beam in a CR2-size light if using the Cree Xlamp emitter. Beam width is significantly determined by ratio of emitter size to reflector diameter. The Cree emitter is much larger than a Luxeon I/III, which means the resultant beam width will be greater unless the reflector is larger.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I'm totally happy with the smooth white flood of my CR2 Ion, much better than expected and much prefered over my Jil. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste and requirements. I just had mine in the back yard and the wall of light it throws against my 12' hedge from a distance of 30' brought a big stupid smile to my face, if I want distance I"ll use my T3.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it interesting that people compare the CR2 ION light with any of the JIL lights. I don't know why the comparson had not occured to me. I have several JIL's one CR2 ION. The beam type is just totally different with the JIL lights having a good hot Spot. The CR2 ION has no HotSpot. When it comes to WIDE beam the CR2 ION is the winner. I love my JIL lights they remind me of my ARC lights. I have got to say that if I were to compare the JIL to the CR2 ION the fit and finish of the lights while quite close... the edge has to go with the JIL lights ...there is just a bit more precision in the JIL....and no battery rattle.
Both are great Lights.
Yaesumofo
Yaesumofo

kukula

Enlightened
I too find this phenomena interesting. In fact, I was discussing this same issue with a friend. I have a Ti CR2 Ion and I love it. I have no plan of letting her go. I actually love that it is 100% flood. First in my light collection that does that, and what a refreshing thing it is :laughing:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I echo these same sentiments.

The light is not very WOW bright like most are accustomed to getting from CPF. and the low is loooooowwww :)

As I told Enrique last a few days ago. These lights need to find their rightful owners. They are definately a VERY nice light and have their own place in the collection, practically standing alone. No, actually standing alone with the new emitter. The light reminds me or a Larry model and a Jets22 Blackbird. I'm definately getting one. Still trying to decide the color.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I bought a second one. You either get floods or you don't I guess. The JIL has an excellent compromise beam for a small light I think, very broad spot, and if it was two way mechanically I might not have even looked at the CR2 Ion. I'm glad I did though. Feel in hand is important to me, and I can't believe a light this small feels so right. The only quibbles I have so far is a little to much rotation from low to high (reliable off is no different to me than any other twisty I have) and low is just a touch too high, but not enough to matter really.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't received my Ion yet, but it'll replacethe L0P on my keychain. I want the Ion specifically because it's a flood. Since I already carry a "throwy" larger light (formerly HDS, now a PD), carrying a smaller light with a similar beam (like a Jil) would be rundant. I feel that the floody Ion will add more usability in my "urban survival" package. Even on low, a regular light with a hotspot and diminishing spill isn't best for upclose use, or for mulling around the house with night-adjusted vision (although ceiling bouncing works OK), and a flood like the Ion is better suited. The L0P is serving well, much better than the blue spot/puke yellow spill of the Arc, but I'd like it even floodier.

Because of the lack of throw and low usability for all-around tasks, I'm not supprised some aren't happy with the Ion. But it's been made very clear what kind of light the Ion is. Personally, I think it's a perfect compliment to a larger EDC like a Surefire E1L/E2L, McLux III PD, or HDS. It would never replace a larger light like the Jil might, but it was never meant to,

Of course, I do have a Jil Intelli on order, plan on getting a CR2 Pacific, and have a number reserved for the Exolion (and am paying attention to the new Larry Light thread), so some comparisons will be inevitable.

aosty

Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
Interesting, A new cool light hits the market seems to sell well and then all of a sudden is all over the BST forums.
Personally I don't get it.

My guess... buy it, play with it, flip it.

:popcorn:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact so many CR2 ION owners like the beam shows it was a good design decision. A few of us would prefer a beam like the Jil, HDS or Fire~Fly, but if we want that we can just get those lights. It was made clear from the outset the CR2 ION was a pure flood beam. However there's flood then there's flood. The CR2 ION is flood :)

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to say I knew from the onset that this was to be a flood light, I was lucky enough and patient enough to be in on the presale and then upgraded to the Al Bronze (best thing I did). before I begin I am a floooooody kinda guy and this light is the king of flood. I believe that most people didn't think that a little light like this could give off such a wide flood and with most people on CPF EDCing brighter and brighter lights this doesnt' fit the bill for the CPF need for brighter is bretter. this is a working light that fits my bill for the perfect pocket light and the feel is incredible mofo can read my mind when he started this thread, nothing is going to get this outta my pocket I don't need a dot at night I need to see everything around me.

Enrique... u rocked with this light

Doug

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not the floody nature of the Ion that has caused some disappointment, but rather what some folks (including me) perceive as a little less output than we would like. Others dig it, and thats what makes the world go 'round. :grin2:

Edited to add: I admire folks like Enrique for having the brains and motivation to get a product from the drawing board to production. :clap:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that if this group of people were happy with the output then they would complain about runtime (I know there are those on CPF who would sacrifice everything in favor of brightness).
I think this is a good balance between runtime and brightness.
The CR2 ion is a good little light. Not the brightest light.
Yaesumofo

powernoodle said:
Its not the floody nature of the Ion that has caused some disappointment, but rather what some folks (including me) perceive as a little less output than we would like. Others dig it, and thats what makes the world go 'round. :grin2:

Edited to add: I admire folks like Enrique for having the brains and motivation to get a product from the drawing board to production. :clap:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
It seems to me that if this group of people were happy with the output then they would complain about runtime

This suggests that some of us are chronic complainers, which I respectfully do not accept. :)

I am simply recognizing the reality that the JIL 1.3w runs as long and as regulated as the Ion, but makes more light. Its not a flood vs throw thing, its a more lumens vs. less lumens thing. This is not a swipe at the Ion, but rather is my (I believe correct) answer to the question raised in your first post.

Another factor, I think, is that someone might keep a $70 light with which they are only moderately pleased, but will emancipate a similar $150 light.

Given that there probably were a big bunch of Ions released last week, and only a few ended up on BST, most folks are probably happy with them.

peace

paulr

Flashaholic
I've noticed the unusually quick resales too. I think some buyers expected a dazzle bomb (surprisingly bright-looking light) and didn't get one.

I like flood beams and have seen a few special lights whose beams were just about perfectly uniform in brightness. I don't think any lights like that have been sold though. My original McLux (McFlood reflector) is still my favorite and though it's floody, it's not quite uniform.

It also seemed to me from the photos like the Ion's finish isn't quite at the level of some other lights that are out there. And the Ion still seems a little too big for a keychain light.

I still want to buy one but have postponed it due to non-flashlight-related financial ups and downs. I decided I'm not that crazy about the Al bronze so that leaves me deciding between HA and titanium, with Ti meaning even higher $$$.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow:

I have the Ti version and it is more than I expected.

Do like "floods" and this is the very best.............size and workmanship are great.

The Ti is a keeper and have a red anodized on order!

My likes, dislikes and requirements may be different than yours, that's OK with me!

Just used Ion in "candle" or tailstanding mode.............what a revelation!!

jeffb

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
I am simply recognizing the reality that the JIL 1.3w runs as long and as regulated as the Ion, but makes more light. Its not a flood vs throw thing, its a more lumens vs. less lumens thing. This is not a swipe at the Ion, but rather is my (I believe correct) answer to the question raised in your first post.

Which version of the JIL are you referring to? I've never seen a runtime chart of the JIL. Is it as flat as the ION because the ion's is downright flat and that's one of the main reasons I bought it.

Have you been able to verify that the Ion gives off less lumens than the JIL? I don't think you can properly compare total light output since the beam proflies are totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts