Surefire L4 vs L5

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I have had an L4 for just a few days (4) and I am starting to wonder if I should have gotten the L5 instead. The L4 is a great light, but I am looking to replace my G2 and I think the L5 may be a better match. The L5 looks to be a bit bigger, but it appears to have alot better throw with still pretty good flood/spill. I want to do this while I could still exchange the two. Are there any of you that have both and could compare real life use for me. Thanks for any info.

Ron

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct,

It is a matter of size vs throw vs flood.

I use an L4 much more due to the size and that most work I do is relatively close range stuff. The L5 will throw more but is not a throw monster.

This question really is a personal question on how you will use it and what size of light meets your needs.

cy

Flashaholic
one advantage of L5 is ability to bore out body to accept 18650 cell. Huge improvement in runtime

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both, and the L5 definitely has more throw than the L4. It's not fantastic, though--probably on par with the KL1. It won't beat the G2. But you will definitely notice an improvement in throw over the L4.

If you want a 2x123A Luxeon light with throw, go for the Pelican 3W 2390 or the Aleph 1. The Aleph has the advantage of 2-stage output.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Think of the L5 as an L4 on steroids. Similar flood, but with much more throw (as ASDalton and JonSidney correctly indicate).

Being an E-body, the nifty L4 is more "pocketable."

The L5 is heftier and built for any tough duty you can toss at it... including tactical illumination alongside a heavily-recoiling handgun. In fact, I understand that the L5's big brother (the 3 X 123 L6) is now a favorite of many combat pistol-craft instructors for night shooting (exercises... and the real thing). Still, the L5 is plenty adequate for nocturnal confrontations of the worst kind -- and it sure beats the big old Mag-charger I used when I took my first night shooting course 20 yrs. ago.

The L4 probably has slightly better (flatter) "regulation" than the L5 in that most tests show it running flat for about 75-80 minutes, whereas the the L5's heavier drain on CR123 lithium batts will cause it to begin to fade at about the 60 min. mark. However, the L5 will then give you another 30 min. of useful (though diminishing) light. I've found this diminishing "tail" light from my L5 to offer still decent/useful flood... but rapidly "shortening" throw.

Another L5 advantage is its ability to take a rechargeable Pila 168S battery.

In summary, the L5 trades about 30% of the L4's flat runtime for a 75% + increase in throw for about an hour.

Both are great lights. However, the L5 is one of the few LEDs that have enough punch (throw) to work well OUTSIDE (in urbia/suburbia) where competing ambient light clutter cuts most LEDs' effectiveness.

My L5 has become my main Night-Walk light. I accepted that it would chew through an additional $15-20 worth of 123 batts per annum compared to some longer-running lights, but I figure the enhanced "situational awareness" and intimidation/safety benefits it provides are worth it. I occasionally turn to my Pelican 3W LED (longer throw, but weaker flood) or a SF C3 incan (almost TOO bright) when humidity/rain/snow/fog conditions require even more punch, but the L5 cuts-the-mustard best 90% of the time.

"Sean's Flashlight" website (a fellow CPFer) has some great beamshot photos comparing the L4 and L5. They speak a thousand words.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then how will the L6 compare to the L4 & L5?

I'm considering buying my first Surefire, and since my budget only allows for only ONE, I'm leaning towards the L6 instead of the M4 because of price & practicality, and LEDs seem like the way of the future.

A friend who has many Surefires including the M4 and the L5 tells me that the L6(and I quote) "throws like a b*tch" :lolsign: while having good spill. And Surefire's 65 lumen rating for the L6 is waaaaaayyyy underated, he says its more like 120 lumens.

Opinions anybody??:shrug:

ront

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for the info guys. I am new here and I really do appreciate your help!! Is the L5 still of a good enough size to be pocketable?
TonkinWarrior, your comment on runtime have me interested. In the Surefire manual they list the "High" run time on both L4 and L5 as 1 hr and then the usable light on the L4 as 1 1/2 hrs and the L5 as 2 hrs. Sounds like this may not be accurate?
How will the beam from the L5 compare to the beam of KL1 lamp on my L4 body? I suspect it will be much better, but I am new to this and really don't know. asdalton said that they are probably about the same though.
I have been to Sean's Flashlight website and that is one of the reasons I am considering making this change. The L5 appears to have considerable more throw with still a very good flood.
One more question please. Could anyone compare the beam of the L5 to the beam of a Inova XO3?
Thanks for your help guys.

Ron

Last edited:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
I also have an L4, and had been concidering the L5 or L6. I currently find that my L4 is useful for all of my night time "up close" searches, or in a completely dark room. If I feel the situation is not suitable for the L4 I pull out my M3CB, or my Ultra Stinger. Honestly, I guess I could find a situation for every light (L4, L5, L6 etc)...but lack the duty belt space for all of them...not to mention I would be an easy target for laughs (already get teased for having a lot of lights)

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't the L4 run off Pila battery? Thanks!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
L5 Plus:

1.) L5 can take 18650 size cell if you bore it out (longer runtime)
2.) L5 has bigger reflector which gives you slightly tighter beam if that's what you want.
3.) L5 has bigger mass to dissipate heat much better than L4
4.) Can run for extended periods without frying the short-lived 5W Lux

L4 Plus:
1) Smaller, more pocketable.
2) Moddable (if you want to do that sort of thing)

ront

Newly Enlightened
Boy, there are sure pro's and con's. I sure I knew which way to go. Thanks for all of your input.

Ron

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L5 doesnt come close to the l4... The L5 has absolutely horendous runtime.

-David

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi David, dumb question time. Does Horendous mean good or bad? Like the word bad can mean bad or it is so good that it is bad. If you mean bad, then the light does not match the specs.
Sorry, I just want to know for sure what you mean.

Thanks, Ron

nc987

Enlightened
Then how will the L6 compare to the L4 & L5?

Ive got a L5 and love it. Ive used the L4 and though it is nice i prefer the L5 because of its ability to throw and flood pretty well but that brings me to the L6.

Ever since I got my L6, its my #1 flashlight. I have a M3T, U2, E2L, E2E,, E1E, 6p, and a Kl3 head on a 6P and the L6 beats them all imo.

It throws farther than the U2 and L5, not by much but it does. Its beam is absolute perfection. The body is the same as the M3T which is one of the most ergonimcally friendly flashlights I have ever held. The runtime is great thanks to the 3 cells. Overall its just a great light and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks....

nc987 said:
Ive got a L5 and love it. Ive used the L4 and though it is nice i prefer the L5 because of its ability to throw and flood pretty well but that brings me to the L6.

Ever since I got my L6, its my #1 flashlight. I have a M3T, U2, E2L, E2E,, E1E, 6p, and a Kl3 head on a 6P and the L6 beats them all imo.

It throws farther than the U2 and L5, not by much but it does. Its beam is absolute perfection. The body is the same as the M3T which is one of the most ergonimcally friendly flashlights I have ever held. The runtime is great thanks to the 3 cells. Overall its just a great light and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

hburner

Enlightened
I would have to give my kutos to the L5 also. I am a big fan of throw and medium spill, thus the L5 is the LED for me. I also like the L5 because with the right LA and bezels you also have the M2 and the C2!!! Add a one cell extender and a P90, whalla you have the C3!