Help me decide?

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
I've spent quite a bit of time lurking and taking in all the valuable information you guys have already provided. . . however, I have a question I still need some help with.

I'm looking for a good, multi-purpose starter light. I'm currently rolling with a minimag w/ the nighteyes LED mod and momentary tail-cap switch.

Not much to roll with. While this light is great for say, mapreading, outdoors it doesn't even throw all the way to the ground.

I also keep my 4D Maglite in my car for emergencies/defense, and a $10 11,000,000 candlepower emergency light for starting campfires.

So, I believe I have narrowed it down, can you help me come to a decision?

Thanks in advance!

1. Surefire G2. Surefire, nice and bright, inexpensive, plenty of accessories. However, not versatile, battery life is short, and it would set a map on fire rather than illuminate it.

2. Streamlight Tasklight 2L -- nice balance of LED for close and Xenon for distance. However, haven't found any filters for the tasklight series yet (are they out there?!). Red would be ideal.

3. Streamlight Scorpion. Same pro's as the G2, however the filters seem harder to find (for a realistic price that is). Also, no LED of course.

If you have another suggestion please feel free to share. The A2 looks like the best bet for me, but I'm not able to spend that kind of cash yet -- the wife and I are saving for a house.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello and Welcome to CPF!

How about the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. Or go for that Mini Maglite, go with a drop-in LED from TerraLux available at LED-Replacement or the "higher" output ones from The Sandwich Shoppe.

The SureFire G2 is a nice "entry-level" choice, plus you can always get the BOG/G&P drop-in 3W or 5W LED from Lighthound.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

magic79

Enlightened
I will reinforce CHC's recommendation: the ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon is a surprisingly good light with excellent throw and a good momentary/clickie switch. The plastic body makes it nice for tossing in the car, toolbox or whatever.

Don't you hate it, though, when you ask a specific question and folks recommend something else?

I've owned two of the lights you inquire about though. The G2 is a nice entry light, good price and durable. However, at least for the one I had, I was not pleased with the beam. It had bright and dim spots...didn't seem well focused to me.

The 2L was nice a few years ago, but it doesn't hold up well against current multiple brightness lights. However, it's the only one of the three that has multiple brightness capability and that's a big positive. The LEDs provide adequate light for map reading or use in a confined space like a car. The Xenon light is bright, but the beam has a few artifacts. Of the three you list, this would be my choice.

Good luck! You'll end up buying more lights than you think!

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll suggest a Surefire 6P and an Inova X5T to polish off the "used" batteries from your 6P. You can pick up the SF 6P from OpticsHQ for $46 with the CPF discount (see greenLED's discount thread in my sig) -- or if you like, a G2 for $29 -- and an X5T elsewhere for about $20-30. I just picked up an X5 today from Target (paid $35, before I found out that it could be had for cheaper elsewhere), and found the flood beam surprisingly useful. In fact, since I picked up the X5 this morning, I haven't once needed to use my A2 -- its light output is perfect for nighttime fridge raids. (I didn't try the X5 outside yet, too many streetlamps.)

If you don't mind carrying two lights, a G2/6P and an X5T is almost like a poor man's A2. And later, when you *do* have the finances to get an A2, the X5 will still be useful (I transferred my "used" batteries -- always kept in pairs -- to my X5). The 6P (if you choose it over the G2) can be converted into a 9P with an A19 extender and P90/P91 lamp assembly. Thus, you have no 'waste.'

(But if you're like me, you'll end up carrying all your lights around regardless.)

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I'll suggest a Surefire 6P and an Inova X5T to polish off the "used" batteries from your 6P.

(But if you're like me, you'll end up carrying all your lights around regardless.)

Any reason to choose the 6P over the G2?

Thanks for the discount thread, I had no idea!

Also, if I don't get a task light or similar dual function yet, is the diffuser a wise purchase for a G2/6P?

carrot

Flashaholic
Arclight said:
Any reason to choose the 6P over the G2?

Thanks for the discount thread, I had no idea!

Also, if I don't get a task light or similar dual function yet, is the diffuser a wise purchase for a G2/6P?
There is some discrepancy about whether or not the G2 works with the A19 cell extender that allows you to convert a 6P into a 9P. The older A19 does work, according to Size15's. But the newer one might not. General consensus is, it looks kinda funny. Plus, I assume you, like most people, would prefer a metal-bodied light whenever possible.

Edit: I found a thread with the A19 on a 6P compared to the 9P. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105077
I believe the A19 only comes in black.

Last edited:

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

_X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
_X__I am in North America. More precisely I am in ___Austin, TX___.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60. (could, but trying to stay lower)

2) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

4-6?
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

Don't really like the look of the 3A lights, too skinny. Minimag/P6/TL-1 size is good.

5) What batteries do you want to use?

Either I can get. I have about 10 2500 mAH NiMH AA at home, and haven't bought batteries in 5 years or more.

__X__I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__X__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

ALL OF THE ABOVE :D

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--------X-------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

_X___60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
__X__240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

__X__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
__X__I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

__X__I don't care, but most likely:
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__X__I don't think I care because both have benefits.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

__X__Red (night vision preserving) filter
__X__Waterproof – how deep: _____________
__X__Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
__X__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
__X__"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the obvious answer is you want two lights. The only production hybrids I know of are the SF A2, SL TT series, and Pila GL series. Only the SL TT series is in your price range, and they aren't as good as a Surefire.

Edit:
A bag of 99¢ coin cell keychain lights and a Surefire G2 could work nicely for you, if you don't like my above suggestion.

Last edited:

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
I think the obvious answer is you want two lights. The only production hybrids I know of are the SF A2, SL TT series, and Pila GL series. Only the SL TT series is in your price range, and they aren't as good as a Surefire.

Edit:
A bag of 99¢ coin cell keychain lights and a Surefire G2 could work nicely for you, if you don't like my above suggestion.

Thanks carrot - you're on overdrive today!

I guess as for the SL TT -- how close are they to the SF series brightness? I really liked the idea of using LED to save on battery if that's all you need, but having the blinding power if it was necessary.

Also, I do have a few ridiculously bright Innova/Brookstone keychain lights -- one dual white/blue, second just white. Maybe those will solve my LED woes for a bit.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though your initial selections have all been xenons, I'd suggest an LED light instead. I have xenons and don't use them nearly as often as my LED lights as my LED lights last much longer and provide more than enough light for virtually all my purposes.
Since your price limit is ~$30, I'd suggest the following:

Nuwai Q3 - ~$30 + sh, good output and useful flood, pretty good throw, uses only 1cell so any spare cells you carry will help it last even longer when needed.Can use R123A for more light with less runtime and more heat. Can be modded for a 2-stage switch.
Nextorch Z1 - $30ish + sh, similar to the Q3, a bit longer (~0.2"), looks simpler and nicer (IMO), uses only 1x 123A.
Pelican M1 2310- ~$35 + sh, not as much total output as the Q3 as the spill light isn't as bright, but has good throw, better than the Q3. A very nice light and I'd trust it with my life more than the Q3. Also a 1cell light and it lasts about 2.5hrs before reaching 50% output and still produces good light thereafter.
Fenix L1 - ~$30 + sh, this is the non-premium which seems to be hard to find. About the same total output as the PM1 with a good combo of spill and decent throw. Uses a single AA. Skinnier than the 123A lights.
3W V2 - $20, has great throw for such a small light! and I love the look of the light. Spill is large and fairly dim, but still usable to see what's around you as you're walking a path. More output than a Q3 on primary 123A and just a tad less than a Q3 on R123, but still more throw than a Q3 on R123. Uses 1x R123 and has good runtime on a rechargable. It doesn't get hot at all either, which is nice. A combo kit with 2x R123s and a Nano Charger is about $35.
Streamlight Scorpion LED - ~$40 + sh (search on the net for good deals), a bit above your limit, but it's got amazing output and throw for a Lux1, more than most Lux3 lights. It has the most output and throw of all the lights I listed. Uses 2x 123A and lasts almost 3hrs to 50%.

If you still want a xenon light, pick up a SF G2...best xenon for the money. I keep a xenon around for the times when I need that much light and throw, but 99% of the time, I don't.

amv

Newly Enlightened
"an X5T elsewhere for about $20-30"

Where can you get this for $20-30?

Thanks!

Macaw

Enlightened
Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
amv said:
Where can you get this for $20-30?
To be sure, I don't know, but I was told by another CPFer that he had bought one at a brick & mortar store for $20. I think $35 is still a reasonable price for it, though.

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
Well, a lot of you guys are recommending the LED solutions rather than Xenon. . . so, what is the brightess LED light I can get for $40 or less? Multiple modes would be great.

I was skeptical because the lights I have had do not have much throw at all, and are nothing like a traditional torch. Also, I have had poor results from outdoor LED use (but I haven't used that many).

I liked the idea of a smaller light rivalling my 4D maglite.

magic79

Enlightened
carrot said:
You can pick up the SF 6P from OpticsHQ for $46 with the CPF discount (see greenLED's discount thread in my sig) -- or if you like, a G2 for $29
Actually, with membership and CPF5 coupon, the 6P is only only $44.60 and the G2 $27.50, both with free shipping! A2 is $150.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Another one to consider is the SureFire L2 with the simple two-stage lighting. Besides, AW sells the rechargeable batteries for said light which should save quite some bit on spending batteries. Or you could go with the SureFire E series plus some "upgrades" via Lighthound, and multi-stage tailcaps from The Sandwich Shoppe. But with these, one would ante up the price! ($$$)

With the SureFire G2, you can get the drop-in LED such as BOG/G&P 3W or the BOG/G&P 5W from Lighthound or BugOutGearUSA. ($$)

With "throw" factored in there somehow, somewhere, the SF.9P is another option with the upgraded SRTH from Lagger-Pro! ($$$)

Once and Again—Hope you find what you're looking for!