What is now best/brightest drop-in for Mag 2-D light ?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't recall seeing a consensus on what's finally considered the best / brightest drop-in to buy for 2-D MagLight . (and 3-D model)

Has there been a hands-down winner ?:)

Looking for final opinions from real-world testing.

And do they shine brighter with rechargeables ? :grin2:

Users..................care to vote ? .:popcorn:

Please:)

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is now best 3W drop-in for Mag 2-D light ?

Thanks John....I didn't realize that.

Now I guess I'll have to go back and reword my whole 1st post so it will apply to a 2-d light.

Never considered moding my old Mag light till just recently.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diamond seems to make the best dropins, but it is confusing what they actually make. The tests on flashlightreviews.com mention different electronic drivers and side emitters versus lambertians, but when you go to sites that actually sell these things they don't mention any of these options.

Steve C

Enlightened
Well, I dunno about "best/brightest", but I can tell you my experience.

I am a cop, and have been "spoiled" by high-output flashlights since I bought a Streamlight SL-20 in 1979 and a Laser Products (now SureFire) 6P in the late 1980s. I have never been impressed with any sort of stock MagLite; to include their rechargeable "police" lights.

My mother, bless her heart, purchased two 2D MagLites at WallyWorld and gave one to me in preparation for the Event That Wasn't... Y2K. I thanked her, threw it in the back of the closet when I got home, and promptly forgot about it.

I found that thing, still new in the package, last year. I was going to use it as an Xmas gift for someone, then read about the EverLed drop-in LED bulb here. I felt a bit foolish spending more than twice what the whole flashlight costs for a bulb; but its only money, right?

Let me tell you; the EverLed makes an entirely different animal out of the 2D MagLite. Its every bit as much of an improvement as the Opa-Lec Newbeam is for the AA MiniMag. Aside from a much more pleasing and more useful beam, the LED will run 24 hours straight on two alkaline D cells, and still have some dim light left. It makes the perfect "storm light", since MagLites are, if nothing else, as durable as you can get.

Anyway, I keep it by the bed, as a supplement to the 6P-with-KL3 that serves as my "house light". My wife has one of those StreamLight 3-C cell incan/LED hybrids on her side of the bed. Between those three, we have many hours of usable light for power outages, etc.

I'm in plainclothes now, and use a SureFire A2 professionally. But if I went back into uniform, I'd throw that 2D Mag/EverLed light in the unit to use for poking around wreck scenes, etc. The problem with high intensity lights for police work is two-fold: the batteries, whether rechargeable or lithium, don't last very long. And the light is usually TOO bright for non-confrontational applications.

The 2D Mag/EverLed combo is plenty bright enough for "normal" use, and lasts incredibly long on two batteries that are available anywhere. While it would certainly not be my choice for those "can only take one" scenarios, this combo is a solid, VERY useful general purpose light.

Your mileage, of course, may vary...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it is not advertised for them, the Diamond DB-3W drop in will work in a Mag2D. The DB-3W is a good thrower in a Mag3D running at the full 3 watts. In the Mag2D, based on beam appearance only, it seems to run very close to the 1 watt EverLED. If you need something that can swap between 2D and 3D only, the DB-3W would be a slightly cheaper solution at $25 than the EverLED at $40.

DB-3W: http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/index.php/cat/c1243_3-Watt-Luxeon-LED-s.html
Cheaper $25
Brighter in Mag3D -Full 3W
Only usable in Mag3D (officially) and Mag2D (unofficially)

EverLED: http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html
More expensive $40
Dimmer in Mag3D -Only 1W
Works in any 1 to 6 cell (Officially: max 9 volts) light using PR based bulbs

Melven

Newly Enlightened
What about the Sears 3AAA tasklight (Luxeon) bulb. You have to buy the flashlight to get the "bulb" but it is cheaper than most Luxeon PR based "bulbs", and reportedly very bright. I am considering going this route.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about that sears light also, for the 3D. The Nite-Ize should be about $10?, the sears is $15 on sale/$20 regular?, and the MagLed will be $20? The Nite-Ize can be used in any of the flashlights though, the others are dedicated to each individual size. I'm just curious to see which way ends up being best bang/(bulb) for the buck..runtimes and brightness comparisons and heat issues?
Rando

sorry- Just realized that I was on the wrong topic..

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple 4 step process,

1. Cut the tail spring back a bit
2. Take 3 C batteries and a plastic split tube and slide the batteries in.
3. Install the 3D 3W drop-in
4. Mix well and enjoy

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add another two cents worth...

A direct drive Lux, like some of the Diamonds and like the Sears 3AAA light, will usually want about 4.5V. In a 2D mag I think you can make a slight modification and use 3C's in it. I have a 2D that I'm not using and I'm thinking about doing this to it, I just haven't decided to order a Diamond or track down a Sears. The problem with ordering is that the Diamond might be $25 but shipping is another $12.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the DB-3W (bright and white I tell you!) and you can also check them out among others from LED-Replacement.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Turbo_E

Enlightened
steve C: get a quad lux, 2 D mag with a fatman and a dimmer. you'll be glad you did.

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened
I got the Diamond 3 watt and it doesn't focus very well. the tightest focus I can get will have a donut hole after about 3 feet. It's fairly disappointing.

I did put the bulb in a 2D Blue Mag and used 3 1/2 D batteries from a disassembled Magcharger battery. It's very bright, but just doesnt throw very well due to the focusing issue.

CLHC

Flashaholic
With the "focusing" aspect of it, all I did was "sputter" the stock reflector with clear high lustre coat from Rust-Oleum. I got the desired lighting pattern with no artifacts whatsoever. . .Then again, Your Maglite May Vary.

Enjoy!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
SubtleIrony said:
I got the Diamond 3 watt and it doesn't focus very well. the tightest focus I can get will have a donut hole after about 3 feet. It's fairly disappointing.

I did put the bulb in a 2D Blue Mag and used 3 1/2 D batteries from a disassembled Magcharger battery. It's very bright, but just doesnt throw very well due to the focusing issue.

I bought the Diamond 1W Lambertian Regulated for a Mag 2D and I had the same problem. What I did is to add an o-ring about 1mm thick around the bulb holder so the reflector will push it deeper. It solved the donut hole problem! I cannot focus it as well as my Lux3, Downboy1000, o-sink Mag 2D but it was a great improvement.