49 led 3AA torch battery warning

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent torch from excellent supplier.

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/2mode-3xaa-p-387.html

Similar, probably exactly same torch available elsewhere on ebay.

Quite sturdy, similar output to 1watt true luxeon, 3watt Chinese luxeon.

2.75 hours useful runtime 49 leds, 7 hours 12 leds.

One thing to be aware of though, very tight fit of 3AA battery carrier, it stripped some of my nimh battery plastic casings, on some makes of nimh, the internal screw thread is the culprit.

Leading to possible shorting internally.

If the carrier is a squeeze fitting, don't force it, it is stripping your batteries.

It also makes getting the carrier out very difficult.

No problems with ordinary AA batteries.

In the UK, OK nimh batteries are Kodak, Uniross and Sony.

I found Soshine nimh (Emil) stripping.

Others too.

(Yes I have quite a selection of nimh AA's)

Excellent torch in other respects.

Flat end cap, stands up with lanyard removed.

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I've thought of getting this light to mod. Is it mod friendly? Specifically, if I take out the entire LED assy, what is behind it? I would want to install a reflector. What is at the end of the battery tube? That is where I would have to install a Luxeon Star. Can you describe the switch?

Lots of questions, but I hope you can answer some of them.

Thank you,
Bernie

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
I've thought of getting this light to mod. Is it mod friendly? Specifically, if I take out the entire LED assy, what is behind it? I would want to install a reflector. What is at the end of the battery tube? That is where I would have to install a Luxeon Star. Can you describe the switch?

Lots of questions, but I hope you can answer some of them.

Thank you,
Bernie

It's only $19, go buy one. :dedhorse:

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
It's only $19, go buy one.
It doesn't bother me at all if someone is not able/willing to help me out. I am not entitled to someone else's time. However your reply seems dismissive and unhelpful.

I have been waiting to hear about this light because it is a unique 3XAAA host with a very large head possibly capable of housing a McR-45 reflector. I was hoping someone would post about it.

I'm not upset or offended even if it reads that way. However, your original post suggested that you were willing to share information. Your reply was inconsistant with your post, and the spirit of this forum.

(I thought of deleting the following because it sounds disrespectful. I don't like to come across this way but it needs to be said .)
If I bought every light I was curious about, i'd be broke, with a bunch of goofy lights like this laying around. That's why I come to CPF. I shop with my brain before I shop with my card. It works most of the time.

Respectfully,
Bernike

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 45 led 4 X AAA battery available from the same dealer and it's easy to mod.
A 52.1mm UCL lens fits perfectly and a pair of CR123A sized cells will fit in the battery space behind the switch.
The switch leaves something to be desired in that it doesn't feel as smooth in operation as I'd like but it's the exact same size as a Q3 switch so it's easy to swap out (or buy new even) if you have a extra Q3 switch left over from a 2 stage upgrade.

The head assembly is not even close to being deep enough to house a McR-45 but a McR-38 just might be shallow enough to fit.

The 45 led flashlight is bigger than the 49 led model so I doubt anything larger than the McR-38 would have a chance of fitting the 49.

Perhaps the 49 led model would make a good host for this 50mm super narrow collimator from Litemania?

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Thanks SuperNinja!

If I can figure out how to keep a lens and reflector against the end of the bezel I may be in business. I'll have one here soon! And of course I meant AA, not AAA.

LumenHound,

I'm still trying to figure out how to translate that website. I love it! It shows one in a Mag. I'd like to try that mod if nothing else. I can't even tell how expensive the optic is, but it looks pricey. Thanks a ton!

Bernie

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperNinja said:
You mean a 3XAA
And when you click the link to the "4xAAA," you find that the light is described as a "4xAAAA"! This AA vs. AAA vs. AAAA confusion is rampant. I've found it frustratingly difficult to know which dealer's description to trust.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Last edited: