Dang, is the regulation of the Pelican PM6 2330 really that bad?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at the flashlightreviews.com review of the the 2330 and man that regulation they are showing is AWFUL. Anyone have any experience with this light?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've no experience with any Pelicans, but the runtime plot does seem weird, especially compared to several of their other lights which appear to have excellent flat-output regulation. Maybe it's somethign to do with the 3-mode switch (better regulation at lower outputs?).

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What *I* don't understand is why my Golston 7W is obviously brighter on the same batteries when it also is direct drive. My only guess is that my Pelican 1w has a high-Vf luxeon. Wish there was some way to take advantage of that.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the runtime is good for an unregulated light. Could be worse right? I doubt your golston gets better runtime though.

-David

Delvance

Enlightened
Archangel,

Your Golston should be brighter as it's using some clone Lux3 emitter that's being overdriven slightly. The Peli 2330 only uses a Lux1 emitter.

Or am i reading your post wrong lol

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant to add the "nearly dead batteries" part, but yeah, i kinda forgot that the Pelican was a 1w. Obviously i was a bit shy of caffeine when i wrote that.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard model 2330 M6 LED is NOT regulated. In actual everyday use, I don't see significant output drop until about 1:30. So, even though the graph shows a large drop, its not too noticable to my eyes.

New 2390 Lux III M6 LED is regulated, and its output graph is very good...flat regulation.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it that there are complaints about an unregulated light with decent runtime, and no complaints about any other untregulated lights having low runtime. Is it because there is a certain expectation of Pelican lights?

-David

vtunderground

Enlightened
357 said:
In actual everyday use, I don't see significant output drop until about 1:30. So, even though the graph shows a large drop, its not too noticable to my eyes.

I agree. I was suprised when I saw Quickbeam's runtime plot, because I definitely didn't notice any decrease in brightness until after an hour or two of use. My experience seems to agree with the runtime plot on the LED Museum site:

http://ledmuseum.thefire.us/pelm6led.htm

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
look at that runtime, that is great for an unregulated light, so what the problem is??? (quote from Martin Lawrence)

-david

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:

ok, for those people who dont watch martin lawrence... what the problem is means "what's the problem." Its a decent light.

-David

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
ok, for those people who dont watch martin lawrence... what the problem is means "what's the problem." Its a decent light.

-David

Not what I was talking about. The 2330 has a pretty bad runtime if you ask me. I found myself changing batteries after just an hour or so to keep the brightness where I wanted it.

vtunderground

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
The 2330 uses a resistor, the LED isnt getting the full 6v. Not a good buy in my opinion.

Isn't that a good thing? This isn't a Lux-V... I'm pretty sure 6v would cook the 1-watt emitter.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Not what I was talking about. The 2330 has a pretty bad runtime if you ask me. I found myself changing batteries after just an hour or so to keep the brightness where I wanted it.

OK... just look at flashlightreviews... come on... what do you expect from an unregulate light. Its runtime is very good for not being regulated.

-David

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
VT, well the resistor is a must or it would fry the led. But a resistor is a poor method for current control when dealing with high currents or battery voltages far from the voltage forward of the LED. What happens is you waste lots of watts in the resistor, and of course there is no regulation so it dims like an incandecent.

The 3W version has HA nat, and a regulated circuit. And I guess a 3W led. (does anyone know if the regulation circuit is buck or buck/boost?)