where to buy brightest 5mm LED?

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
:help: What is the brightest 5mm white LED and where can I buy them from?

I bought several kinds from eBay and they are all disappointing. Some even claim to be 125,000mcd !

Thanks

dcarch8 :candle:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Do you mean brightest in terms of total lumens or mcd? There are some 10mm LEDs which claim in excess of 100,000 mcd by virtue of focusing the light into a very narrow beam with a lot of artifacts. And then there are some 5mm which have a somewhat wider beam and a lot more actual light. The best 5mm I've tested thus far in terms of brightness and total output are the Jeled 50,000 mcd 5mm whites. I actually got in excess of 40,000 mcd, 5 lumens, and 80+ lumens per watt out of them at only 20 mA. The beam is a little blotchy, but I imagine in a project using a few dozen the artifacts would cancel. If you sand the case with very fine sandpaper these would make an excellent very efficient area light.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the stock leds of a 45 led flashlight with the 50K leds and the beam artefacts do indeed blend out almost entirely in a mass array. I prefer the 50K's over the 35K's for total brightness and the light from them is just as white as the 26K leds that were popular in 2004.

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
My Jeled 50cd leds arrived yesterday.
They were very disappointing.

They had the same brightness and half intensity viewing angle (10-11 degrees) as my other two leds:
- 40cd from a local seller (possibly ebay source)
- 30cd BestHongkong (stated as 20-30 candela by the manufacturer)

So if you visit besthongkong.com and order their new 40cd leds (stated as 30-40cd) they will possibly be brighter than "Jeled 50cd" leds.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered some of the Jeledhk 50cd 5mm's myself... will take a chance on 100... the price is certainly right! About $30 shipped.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Those "125,000mcd" 10mm Ebay LEDs really do suck.
I purchased a bag of them following an email I received, and this LED measured 33,500mcd at an If of 19.28mA.
This LED has an advertised viewing angle of 25°.

125,000mcd?
Horse puckey!!!
Horse puckey!!!!!!
HORSE PUCKEY!!!!!!!!!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
Those "125,000mcd" 10mm Ebay LEDs really do suck.
I purchased a bag of them following an email I received, and this LED measured 33,500mcd at an If of 19.28mA.
This LED has an advertised viewing angle of 25°.

125,000mcd?
Horse puckey!!!
Horse puckey!!!!!!
HORSE PUCKEY!!!!!!!!!

Craig, a LOOOONG time ago I sent you a 10mm LED for that Milky Candle you acquired. It was sourced from MPJA (not sure who the original manufacturer might be) and was spec'd at 15,000mcd. I believe in the case of THAT one the rating might actually be too low! I do know the hotspot intensity absolutely SMOKES any other 5mm or 10mm LED that I've ever used. :eek:oo: Did you ever get to test that one? I'd be curious as to the results. :naughty:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
milkyspit said:
Craig, a LOOOONG time ago I sent you a 10mm LED for that Milky Candle you acquired. It was sourced from MPJA (not sure who the original manufacturer might be) and was spec'd at 15,000mcd. I believe in the case of THAT one the rating might actually be too low! I do know the hotspot intensity absolutely SMOKES any other 5mm or 10mm LED that I've ever used. :eek:oo: Did you ever get to test that one? I'd be curious as to the results. :naughty:
Hi Scott,

I used that one briefly in the Milky Candle; the unit was then accidentally knocked to the floor and that LED flew out & never did turn up before I left Seattle in late-May of this year. :shakehead:
I never tested the LED for intensity before losing it. :shakehead:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
Hi Scott,

I used that one briefly in the Milky Candle; the unit was then accidentally knocked to the floor and that LED flew out & never did turn up before I left Seattle in late-May of this year. :shakehead:
I never tested the LED for intensity before losing it. :shakehead:

Hi Craig, PM sent! :naughty: