Streamlight 4AA PP 1W, If=0.5A???

I asked them what Ifwd is and they said it starts off at 0.6A, then stabilizes at 0.5A.

That's exceeding the 0.35A absolute maximum limit set by Lumiled..

interesting.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it gets rediculous throw and runtime... If only they made a 2xcr123 metal version....

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
those have much worse runtime and less throw.

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I don't understand. What's your point?
If your concern is the life of the LED, have you read the Streamlight warranty?

Handlobraesing said:
I asked them what Ifwd is and they said it starts off at 0.6A, then stabilizes at 0.5A.

That's exceeding the 0.35A absolute maximum limit set by Lumiled..

interesting.

lamperich

Enlightened
@Brighteyez

with these numbers the relative short Luxeon1 runtime and the heat issues isn´t a surprise anymore.
but how cares about long LED life in a 23$ torch.

c´mon guys where is the CPF spirit.
a025.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think current manufacture LuxeonI LEDs are the same as Luxeon3 LEDs. They are just binned for tint and Vf at 350 mA instead of 700 mA. If that is indeed the case, it should not matter that SL drives them at 600 mA. This is supported somewhat by the fact that under the current pricing structure, there isn't much difference between the LuxI and LuxIII.

This is just speculation on my part, but no one has found any visible physical differences between the two.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine just got here.

I measure 450 mA @ 6 V from the batteries, with the tipical constant-power curve, I read 650 mA @ 4.5 Volt from the batteries, and 400 mA @ 7 Volt.

The current to the LED is even higher than 500 mA, I measured 580 mA.

The LED module is almost all-metallic, to act as heatsink. The temp of the LED stud, after 30 min. continous on, is about 90 Celsius. During the measure, the bezel was on, but not screwed to allow the passage of the K-wire.
I haven't opened the module, but the way the temperature sets - is an indication of the presence of a temperature sensor.

Anthony

Last edited:

Bertrik

Newly Enlightened
That is some nice technical data, anthony!
What way does the temperature set? You mean it rises to 90 deg C, then suddenly stabilises?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
those have much worse runtime and less throw.

-David

thinking.gif

I compared the Streamlight 4AA Lux directly against my TL-2 2nd Gen and the throw was very similar... I just checked Dougs page and he measured 50% greater throw from the ProPolymer and, while I obviously can't dispute his readings, I can say that real world use... comparing the PorPolymer in one hand to the TL-2 in the other, it doesn't seem anywhere NEAR a 50% difference. To my eyes though, the TL-2 seemed like it was definately brighter overall. Of course, the lottery will play a role here.

As for runtime... a 4AA light is always going to run longer than a 2x123 light if driven to the same levels... That's just physics. I'm surprised that the 4xAA light only gets one more hour of runtime than the 2x123 light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suspect that the larger smooth reflector from the 4AA PP may have something to do with it when compared to the smaller textured reflector in the Scorpion and TL-2.

Insofar as David's comment about less run time; I think it's more a matter of common sense than physics :). Since an AA (alkaline) battery has over twice the current capacity of a 123 battery, it would only stand to reason that 6V of AA batteries at 2500-2900 mAh is going to cause a device to run longer than 6V of 123 batteries rated at 1300 mAh.

cratz2 said:
thinking.gif

I compared the Streamlight 4AA Lux directly against my TL-2 2nd Gen and the throw was very similar... I just checked Dougs page and he measured 50% greater throw from the ProPolymer and, while I obviously can't dispute his readings, I can say that real world use... comparing the PorPolymer in one hand to the TL-2 in the other, it doesn't seem anywhere NEAR a 50% difference. To my eyes though, the TL-2 seemed like it was definately brighter overall. Of course, the lottery will play a role here.

As for runtime... a 4AA light is always going to run longer than a 2x123 light if driven to the same levels... That's just physics. I'm surprised that the 4xAA light only gets one more hour of runtime than the 2x123 light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I'd I think it's more a matter of common sense than physics :).

so I dont have any common sense now??!!

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I'd say your original posting was just plain lacking.

If you want to take offense at my remark to Cratz2's comment about it being a matter of physics, and my contention that common sense would tend to dictate that higher capacity batteries would cause a portable light to run longer with all other parameters being constant ... well, then so be it.

In any case, I would still be inclined to think that the throw is impacted by the use of smaller textured reflectors in the smaller lights. But in response you your desire that Streamlight make a 2x123 Luxeon version with a metal body; they have, the Scorpion and the TL-2.

Now if you want a 2x123 that will throw as far as the 4AA PP and will have just as much run time, I'd say you'll probably have to wait a while.

cheapo said:
so I dont have any common sense now??!!

-David

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kids... and not-so-kids (
nana.gif
)

No need for arguing... physics or common sense... it's a simple fact that until we develop radically more effecient LEDs, that a Lux I on 4xAA cells will run longer at the same level than a Lux I on 2x123 cells. Judging from how many folks carry 2x123 lights, I'd suspect that many are willing to put up with the less runtime for the smaller form factor.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think I was arguing at all. Obviousely it is the reflector that makes the streamlight throw, because it has less output, but more throw than the tl2 led... also, whover said we'd have to wait a while for runtime and throw like that.... KL3

-David

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you measuring battery drain or actual LED current at the leads? Isn't there a regulator circuit consuming some of the juice - or is it resistored?

jayflash said:
Are you measuring battery drain or actual LED current at the leads? Isn't there a regulator circuit consuming some of the juice - or is it resistored?

The measurements Ray presented shows inverse relationship between voltage and current, which implies he's measuring the regulator input.

The values, 600mA If(initial) and 500mA If(sustained) came directly from the Streamlight engineering dept.

Latest posts