Please make my ideal light!

What do you want manufacturers do more of in the future?

• I prefer flashlights with easily upgradeable parts

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • I prefer to buy a new entire flashlight

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I think things are great the way they are now

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Haz

Enlightened
After reading the another thread
Re: Will your favorite lights today still be your favorites in 10 years?
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108501

It got me thinking, most people's light will unlikely be their favourite light in ten year's time, that time may even be shorter. Does that mean most lights with high quality coating and material may not be worth all it's money?. If the purpose to pay for high quality material is for the flashlight to last for a lifetime, and the actual usage of the light is for a few years before the flashlight gets replaced or obsolete, then it's sensible to purchase a cheap one, since it's not going to be used for that long.

However being flashaholics, sensible has a different meaning, we want the very best in material, and anything less is unacceptable!!... Now being realistic, what I want to see is more upgrades and more user friendly upgrades for that matter, so i get more life out of a quality flashlight. More like "Plug'n'Play. I want to pop in the latest circuit, latest emitter, upgrade lens if it gets scratch, upgrade switch if it fails.

For example, an expensive light made from titanium; this should pretty much last a lifetime, if not, many lifetimes. Sadly the interior degrades, gets superseded, and becomes obsolete over time. Given that this exterior (Titanium) is so strong, durable, i think it's a waste if the flashlight is not easily upgradeable. i want to be able to purchase parts that i can simply drop in, with little knowledge of electronic, soldering or the likes. Perhaps a few screws, and clips i don't mind, but anything more is a bit too complicated (for me at least!). I guess it's also not convenient for a person overseas to send flashlights to the US, and back for upgrades/mods due to the added cost of shipping and packaging.

If there is a light that allows the end user to mod/replace easily the following that would be ideal. Lens, switches, LED/Luxeon, Electronics circuit, that will be great. I don't want to have to boil loctite, uncrimp heads, solder. Having no experience in modding, i don't want to stuff up the light when upgrading. What i'm saying sounds like that i should probably purchase a M*glite (due to some having simpler upgrades), however, i want something that is made from a higher quality material, and better design, imho, Hard Anodise III minimum, better still Titanium etc, and something that is on the same calibre as Peak, Arc, HDS etc.

To sum it all up, i don't want to buy an entire unit, when it's perfectly in good physical condition. I just want a simple drop module in to make it brighter, better regulated perhaps, in line with the latest technology. Hopefully this will save a few dollars, and use less natural resources.

Here are 2 suggestions
1. What i want to see in the future is a manufacturer make a quality light, and rather than support it with newer replacement lights. I would like it to be supported with better interior upgrades.
2. Universal measurements/size agreed for drop in modules, so manufacturers can work around the specifications, and module makers can make modules to suit different needs. Different sizes for different battery sizes.

I understand there are financial reasons for selling a complete light, rather than just parts, but it would be nice if it becomes more common.

How many others feel the same way?

Haz

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need a good mix of both. To some extent we already have that with some of the Surefire type lights that are supported by other manufacturer's parts and modules. Even Maglite has retrofit upgrades.
But cheaper lights can't always be made that way since it often adds cost to be constrained to a less than manufacturing friendly assembly process and standards sometimes stifle innovation because you can't change things in a standard part.
I would like to see more modularity though, especially in the midrange lights. The Brinkman Maxfire LX accepting P61 or BOG LED modules is a start. Drop-in lamp and regulators in standard sizes would be great any time.

So I choose modularity. I want to be able to piece together exactly what I want from an assemblage of parts.

tron3

Banned
I started that thread. Thanks for the exposure.

The problem with getting your dream flashlight is the dream changes at some point. Sure, we all love our Fenix's and Surefire's, but for how long? Even if we can mod it indefinately, won't we tire of the same thing at some point? It no longer serves as a historical piece because it changes with history. A Maglite can go from a standard bulb, to Krypton, to Xenon, to LED. It no longer represents lighting technology of 10 years ago when you bought it. It simply bears the historical scars of wear.

"Wanting" is a peculiar human trait. You can desire something for days, weeks, months and even years. Once you get it, you are happy as a pig eating slop. Sooner or later the happiness wears off, and the contentment becomes dull. You start shopping around for something new and exciting.

That 27" Tv is no longer the crowd pleaser it was. Now you must have that 42" widescreen Plasma, or LCD. We sell our souls in search of happiness. In the end, we find it can not be bought - only borrowed.

Haz

Enlightened
You have a very good point, I agree with you and like regular changes too, to satify my 'wants'. One of the important factor when deciding on a purchase is the amount of light that comes out of the flashlight, and thoughts into how long i can use this for before i feel it's getting 'too dim', knowing there is another light with a better output just released. The light output for me is essentially the heart and soul of the light. The outer casing is merely there to protect it. Although i would like to buy a new flashlight now and then, i need to give it a good thought to decide what i want to purchase, as depending what type of material is used for the casing, it can contribute to a significant cost of the light. So if i have a good solid casing, such as Titanium, and i feel it's cosmetically nice to look at, then i want to retain that, to minimise ongoing cost. Consequently, I can then divert my resources to concentrate on better Leds, and better electronics, since they are the ones that improve over time.