Mag 3D & Wiz2 - which Luxeon?

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mag 3d I want to convert to LED, but there are a few options I have to choose from.

I have a Wiz2 converter board which I want to use, but I can't decide which bin Luxeon would be best. I prefer the *WO* bins, and would like to stick to Lux III. I was thinking maybe a TWOJ or TWOH, and maybe even a UWOJ (if they even make that in a Lux III) Where can I order Luxeon LED's other than The Sandwich Shoppe?

The other problem is: should I run 3-D cells, or 4-C cells? Would the number of cells affect the bin of Luxeon I should use?

Also, would it be possible to build a PR based Luxeon while running the Wiz2 converter? (basically a home-built, regulated drop-in, like the Diamond drop-in).

Finally, would anything I built using the Wiz2 be comparable to a Diamond drop-in?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have Wiz2, you can take 4C and 3D, does not really matter. TWOH is a nice bin. UWOJ is better if you can get one :p

J Vf will makes the converter works more efficiently, though not by much with H. However, H Vf will give you more run time.
Be careful though, i read in the past that TWOH is actually making, on average, less output compared to TWOJ, in the same current setting. You wont be able to notice the difference for sure, but it is there. If you can get TWOH, use the TWOH. Else, TWOJ is a close second.

photonphanatics sells lux also.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you already have the Wiz2? What is the current set at or can you replace the resistor?

I just sold a mag 2C with a UX1L on a Wiz2 at 937ma... brightest Lux III light I've ever owned. I also have anohter 2C with a UW0K on an nFlex and even at the full 1 amp setting, it's not as bright as the UX1L was at 937. Of course, I prefer the versatility of the nFlex.

I'd personally go for a J or K Vf... The Hs always scare me for some reason at the higher current levels... Never had anything bad happen to any of them, but I just have a bit more faith in the Js and Ks.

I've bought most of my Luxes from forum member PhotonFanatic and have always had an outstanding experience buying from him.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
The Hs always scare me for some reason at the higher current levels... Never had anything bad happen to any of them, but I just have a bit more faith in the Js and Ks.

I really don't understand why ? :huh2:

Any explanation? The lower Vf you get, the less power will be consummed at the same current, the more runtime you will get, and the less heat you will generate... I just can't see any drawback ?!!

Whatever the bin is, those components are rated to handle 1000mA, so why should there be any issue?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
what he said.. if you are using a constant-current driver, the lower the Vf the better.. it literally means they run at lower power, so most often more efficient and longer runtimes. The lower Vf are only 'an issue' like described if using some form of 'direct drive'.

-awr

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
tino_ale said:
I really don't understand why ? :huh2:

Any explanation? The lower Vf you get, the less power will be consummed at the same current, the more runtime you will get, and the less heat you will generate... I just can't see any drawback ?!!

Whatever the bin is, those components are rated to handle 1000mA, so why should there be any issue?

Ohh... I definately meant that it was an irrational fear.
str.gif

And completely unfounded.

jwl

Enlightened
Gonzo - I have two Mag 3D's running Wiz2 boards and TWOH emitters. I think it is a pretty good combo. See my signature for the Mag configs:rock:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Ohh... I definately meant that it was an irrational fear.
str.gif

And completely unfounded.

Ok! Actually, my english is not my mother language, and I'm not fluent as I would like to be...

So, sorry if sometimes I don't catch a detail or clue in the tone... :thinking:

:wave:

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I think I am going to go with a setup similar to jwl's:
3D Mag
Energizer NiMh
3W-LuxIII TWOH
Wiz2 driver
jwl - could you tell me what you did for heatsinking? Did you use a star? also, is there such thing as a UWOJ or UWOH?
What about focus-ability? Can you still focus from spot to flood?

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
Should I even consider the K2 emitter? Where can I order one, and where can I find specs/info on it? Opinions? (I tried a search for K2, but it won't search for a word that short)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
in a single-emitter light i wanted to make very bright with a mag reflector *I* personally would definitely use a K2. You can put 1.5A into it and get the output simliar to a LuxV.. you can buy a K2 for as little as 3.45.. look at the BST forum.

-awr

jwl

Enlightened
Gonzo - Here is the list of parts and where they came from:

Sandwich Shoppe:
Hotlips-D (heatsink)
Arctic Alumina Adhesive 2-part epoxy
Wizard2 937ma

Flashlightlens.com:
52.1mm UCL lense

Photonfanatic:
LuxIII TWOH emitter, look here.

The Mag 3D's I already had for a couple years.

BTW - I am still running alkalines as I haven't got the Nimh's and recharger YET.:)

Latest posts