Gladius Fades

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I got a new Gladius today, and it does something I've never seen before in a LED light: when switched off, the LED glows and fades out.

For example, I hold the button down in momentary and release to turn it off. The LED glows slightly and fades out for a little more than one second. Other modes and all brightness levels behave the same way. My SureFire M3 with the 225 lumen HOLA does the same thing.

Anyone seen a LED do that before?

Scott

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
Hi Guys,

I got a new Gladius today, and it does something I've never seen before in a LED light: when switched off, the LED glows and fades out.

For example, I hold the button down in momentary and release to turn it off. The LED glows slightly and fades out for a little more than one second. Other modes and all brightness levels behave the same way. My SureFire M3 with the 225 lumen HOLA does the same thing.

Anyone seen a LED do that before?

Scott

Must have a capacitor or similar in circuit, possibly to allow strobe pump effect.

BBL

Enlightened
wasnt exactly that behaviour a disadvantage of incans in tactical situations? (could give a hint in which direction one moves, after he switched off the light)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL said:
wasnt exactly that behaviour a disadvantage of incans in tactical situations? (could give a hint in which direction one moves, after he switched off the light)

Afterglow is what I think they called it. An operator is supposed to light briefly, shut off, then move. If the light leaves a trail while you're moving you're giving away position.

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
i have 2 gladiuss (gladii?) and neither one of them exibit this type performance...hmm...maybe someone with a little more knowlege of the circuit design could chime in?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
darkhanger18 said:
i have 2 gladiuss (gladii?) and neither one of them exibit this type performance...hmm...maybe someone with a little more knowlege of the circuit design could chime in?

Should that be Gladio lights !!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be going back for warranty service for a problem with the tailcap, apparently unrelated to the fading behavior.

"Gladius Interruptus."

Scott

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 and this is not normal behavior. Nigh-Ops will fix it. New tailcap might fix it.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just chiming in, my Gladius drops off pretty much instantly. My HDS EDC does glow for a bit though, probably about 3/4 of a second or so.

Last edited:

DrDark

Newly Enlightened
Friends:
My Luxon lights do it too.
Could it be the phospors glowing after the UV "exciter" is shut down?
Go to a VERY dark room and close your eyes tightly. Turn on your light and let it run for a few seconds. Turn off the light and then, open your eyes and look at the LED. I bet it glows for up to 30 seconds.
I have seen the same thing with the flourescent lights in my basement.

Lexus

Enlightened
Both my Gladius and my HDS have an afterglow, but not the same:

If I use my HDS in constant mode and switch it off, the LED glows very dimmly with constant brightness for a fraction of a second, flickers slightly then it shuts off. When using momentary on, I can't see any afterglow though.

The afterglow of my Gladius looks quite different: It quickly fades just like an incandescent. Maybe it's the phosphor coating which still emits light and causes this glow? But then, all white LEDs should do the same, but they don't...:thinking:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me to see it I stand in the dark looking into a mirror. I shine the light at something "off axis," i.e., not straight back at me. When I release the switch I point the light at my reflection and move the light, as if to simulate a "flash and move" tactic. Then I see a green streak that fades out.

I should point out that it is not anywhere near as pronounced as with my SureFire M3, but nevertheless it is noticable with my particular Gladius.

I had a Gladius before, but it didn't do this; the old one just went out.

I really don't know if it is much of an issue. The potential problem is of betraying your movements in tactical situations. But an M3-CB -- a light designed expressly for combat -- is far worse. Even my G2 does it to some extent.

I suspect this behavior is just another aspect of the "Luxeon Lottery."

BTW, the folks at Blackhawk were very easy to deal with. I would purchase the light again.

Scott