I think I killed my Nuwai TM-301X-5

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
And I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that it was by running Markcm's 3.0 volt rechargables in it. When I first tested out the rechargables, I measured a current draw of about .7 amps with primaries, and .8 amps with the rechargables. I didn't think it anything to worry about at the time, but now I am not so sure.

Anyway, I measured a current draw of about .4 amps a bit ago, and now it's down to about .2 amps. (with fresh primaries). The light, obviously, is dimmer now too. In any case, is there anything I can do about it? If there's a Nuwai warranty, I probably broke that too. I also can't see any way to get the head open, so I probably can't go messing around in there either. Any advice?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like a lot of products from Asian manufacturers, I don't think Nuwai's carry a warranty unless the retail vendor offers a warranty. However if there was some sort of limited hardware warranty, you're probably right in having voided it by using the rechargeable batteries.

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
in my experience/ opinion , 3V RE LI CELL SHOULD NOTBE USED IN 5 W AS THE ENERGY CONSUMPTION IS VERY HIGH .

those 123a 3v with device to lowering the 3.7v to 3.0v that alot of heat is released .i have been used in 5 w longbow & tm301x ,after just burn 5 minutes, the temp increase to 40 to 42 degree c .
i have discussed with the owner of sk (sk is producer of tm series) who recommend use lisun rechargable cell 3v after testing so many re-li 123a cells .
i only used in my q3 or tm-303-3 (3w) only.
for 5w ,i use sanyo 123a or lisun disposable cells .
if you want to buy a new one for replacement , pm me .
for asia producers , they enagae in mass prodcution rather than brand name establishment ..... mail :[email protected]

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
Heat could very well be a factor in this. I remember that it got pretty hot after running for a bit, though I think it got hot on primaries too. I don't think that I damaged the LED though, because all 4 dies seem to have the same brightness, and it was/is putting out a respectable amount of light, for the power it's running at. Maybe I just killed the circuit.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the LED can be damaged and pull less current yet still light up possibly too. The phosphur could be cooked and thus be dimmer. The led could be hurt too and resistance go up... In fact I think I've seen that happen before...

You could sell it to me for cheap and I could modify it for my own evil needs (hmm true cyan luxIII?) muhahah :)

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
I'd prefer to modify it myself, rather than to sell it to someone. Does anyone know how to get one of these open?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran my TM-301X-5 on 4.2v li-Ions after I found out the Vf of the LED was around 7.2v. I think pushing that much voltage through it fries the circuit and makes the light go DD. Since I did that its not as bright on primary cells as it used to be.

Anti_Neutrino

Newly Enlightened
Are the 5w Luxeons made up of 4 small emitters? May be something to do with it.

I have done something similar out of sheer stupidity, and achieved the same outcome :) (not that it's something to be happy about...)

[font=&quot]υ¯ [/font]

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think what happened was that the li-ion were driver the lux V far too much, causing it to overheat which inturn cause it to draw more current which result in half dead luxV

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
You ran yours on 4.2 volt lithium ions and it's only slightly dead, where mine is more dead from 3.2 volt rechargables? Unfair.

Can these be boiled to take them apart like the Q3? It looks to have the same head. I might try to take it apart and stick a K2 in there at some point.

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
Agent_K said:
It worked on mine. :thumbsup:

Cool. What should I expect if I do open it? I suppose I'll have to put some kind of circuit in there to replace the one I probably blew. I don't really like resistors.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Are there any circuits that I could drive a K2 with, that would fit in this head?

Thanks.