Mouse jumping?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an LED mouse (and probably a laser one) and every once in a while the cursor jumps or does odd things, like backing up a bit after you stop it's probably your fault, but you can blame it on your dog.

Mine did this and I finally traced the problem to little tiny hairs that get stuck at one end across the light path.
You move the mouse and the hair bounces a bit after you stop.
Some can be really hard to see and I've taken to using a magnifying glass and tweezers to get at most of them.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Thanks, I just cleaned off my mouse, I'll see if it will help. I've always just passed it off as a cheap $15 mouse.

watt4

Enlightened
my optical mouse has recently been going almost dead for several seconds at a time. the scroll wheel would still function, but not the cursor. I eventually noticed it was "unlit" when this happened, as if connectivity was lost. but the scroller still worked. I went looking at biglots for an old fashioned mouse today, but only saw opticals.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Compaq recheargable optical mouse I bought on sale at radioshack for like 15 bucks a few months back, it has been working flawless, has scroll and 4 programable buttons, recharging dock. very nice. I have not experienced teh jumping mouse but sometimes the mouse very slowly started to move, I cleaned it and problem solved.
Thanks for the tip!

AlexGT

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stary hair causes mouse jumping? Man, isnt the same system used to guide missles too? Opps, a stray hair caused the bomb to mis its target.