Jetbeam        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

129 58.64%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.73%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Hi guys!

I know that a number of us have missed the first run of Don's fantastic McLuxIII-T. (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102325)

Just wanted to know how many, more precicely.
    So, if another run takes place, would you be in?

To vote, let's assume that the price is under 450$...
    Last edited by tino_ale; 02-25-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    Bead Blasting McGizmos - PM disabled, email aoc.paypal (at) gmail.com

Flashaholic*

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

As much as I am sure that this light is a true work of art, there is no way that I can currently rationalize owning a $400 light. A PD in HA-Nat, on the other hand, has been tempting me for some time now....

Even for $450.00 easily I'm in!! Put me down!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

PSM,

Regentag may have landed the biggest stroke of good fortune I've ever seen on these Forums when Don made his knockout suprise gesture, but I must say I believe you deserve the award for most openly desiring a Ti light out of ANYONE on CPF. I sincerely hope you get your wish sooner than later and that you dont have to pay any silly premium prices. I think your enthusiasm deserves that reward.
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Unenlightened

Hi Tino_Ale.

For sure, i'm in fot 450 $ to.
    This isn't too expensive to miss that piece of art work ...

Flashaholic*

I'm in!

PSM,

Regentag may have landed the biggest stroke of good fortune I've ever seen on these Forums when Don made his knockout suprise gesture, but I must say I believe you deserve the award for most openly desiring a Ti light out of ANYONE on CPF. I sincerely hope you get your wish sooner than later and that you dont have to pay any silly premium prices. I think your enthusiasm deserves that reward.

Thanks LM for the very kind words, but no suprise, you are a kind guy. I was a very good sport when Don sold that Ti to Regentag, I was pleased to see someone get one. I would be lying to say I wasnt a lil jealous though. One of these days my quest for the holy grail of custom lights will come, hopefully. I have my chrome PD, so I am thankful for that.

I just dont know how I missed the Christmas time Ti sales thread! I was here, somehow I missed it. I have not forgiven myself for that yet! If only I had a time-machine, I would go back and order one....
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice
    As much as I am sure that this light is a true work of art, there is no way that I can currently rationalize owning a $400 light. A PD in HA-Nat, on the other hand, has been tempting me for some time now....

I agree 100%. Spent too much on expensive lights.
    HUG YOUR DOG!

Interested!

ARC AAA Premium / Amilite Neo T3 / Peak Caribbean / Fenix L2P / HDS EDC U60 XRGT / Princeton Tec EOS / Elektro Lumens ELX-6 / SF 10X Dominator / UK Light Cannon 100 / (2) Streamlight Ultra-Stingers / Mag 3D 4D 2C 2AA / River Rock 2aa 2c 3aaa / Glo-Toob FX (Amber) / Spiral Mini Mag85 Silver / Mag85 Black / Amondotech HID / Harbor Freight 35W HID / Stenlight S7 / (2) CPF Multi-Level / more

Flashaholic*

Yes, please.
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

Congrats PSM, looks like dreams do come true, Thanks Don for all you do.
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

YES...count me in...

I would not miss the chance if it came around again. I would love to see him make it in the PD form, I use the momentary feature far more than the constant-on.

It would also be great if Don would offer the 27T head as an upgrade to the current PD's as well as the Ti (if they will work on both)

I'm in, definately.....although a Ti-PD would be even better!!!

WP

I'd be in for any McGizmo Ti light. I'm especially interested in the 27LT. I like the 2x123 with 27L size.

Flashaholic*

Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
    Good luck everyone.
    Kind Regards

David

Thinking Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

I'm fortunate to have a McLux-T Ti light and my single biggest gripe for EDC use is lack of the Piston Drive tailswitch especially for quick momentary operation. Don had stated the Ti and standard McLux PD heads are not interchangeable, and I found he was half right. I placed the Ti head on a Chrome McLuxIII-PD body and achieved a Piston Drive McLux-T Frankenlight of my own. The Ti body will not accept standard PD heads, but the Ti head fits and works as a twisty and PD on a PD body. Cheers to PSM for the inspiration to do the "mod". Heres a quick and dirty pic:

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDoc
    Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
    Good luck everyone.
    I'm with you!!!
    This makes the titanium host a lifetime investment. Whatever happens:
    - do not like the tint
    - find by chance a terrific bin, UYOH or so...
    - LED or concerter failure
    - huge improvement in the future that would justify an upgrade
    You can always count on your McLuxIII-T to be tweaked.

Hey, if you find a UY0H somewhere, be a pal and grab one for me!!! That would be one HELL of a dream LED....

Don promised a step by step LED replacement guide after SHOT, but didnt have time before hitting the warm waters of Maui, so after his return, be sure and remind him of that......

Hi,

The step by step will be rather quick!
    There is only two wires to unsolder, and one screw to take off.

Still I agree that a step by step "DIY" would be usefull for those who are not used to mod, and are (rightly!!) scared of spoiling anything.

I think there are also a few tips to know about, just like the use of a non adhesive thermal compound between the heatsink and the titanium head...

I'm ready in a heartbeat. The news that it will be a pd makes it even better.
    Don: I'm over in Martinez and a sea kayaker and your recent pics had my blood boiling !
    Happy to see your images during the miserable weather we're having here at home.

Seriously, I would love to get one of the TI's you come up with. This would be a great addition to my collection and my lifejacket.
    I was going to order when you returned or thru JS Burly.
    I guess the thing to do is Wait a few weeks and monitor CPF. I'm ready to pull the trigger when you return...

Great photography btw.
    Looks like you are getting that d70 figured out. Last few are like pages from Natn'l Geographic.
    best
    Mike
    my gallery at...
    www.pbase.com/draydur
    draydur
    I want to go to bed, ... but it's dark outside !
    current collection: HDS U60XRGT+2x123 tube, SF A2 g and y/g, SF spares carrier.
    Others: Inova Xo3, Photon Freedoms and older, Petzl Zipka headlamp, Streamlight TT 3AAA, Krill glow tube (a very cool thing), many mags

Missed the first run around christmas and thought there won't be anymore 'til this thread. This is such a great news! Never had a PD but been hearing alot great things about it. So hell yeah I would be in for one!
    -N O V E L-

Question Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

I have a big stupid question about Ti lights. Do they actually get carried? I know that they are supposed to be hard/durable, but do you pay that kind of bread for the ultimate pocket/EDC durability and then say, Well it is too pretty, too valuable, to be put to use--I wouldn't want to damage it?
    Does any one actually use their McLuxIII-T? It is so beautiful.
    The only way I would buy one would be to buy a PD too. I'd carry the less durable PD (with the Ti clip and Ti bezel ring) and leave the T on the shelf, worship it, pollish it--maybe take it to a black tie affair once in a while. Well, that would be in my dreams--if I owned one I would have to hide it from my wife.
    So I (in my dreams) carry the PD and it gets a few nicks, but if I carried the T instead it would be like Klatu--perfectly fine, and my PD would be pristine on the shelf? So, I should carry the T and leave the PD on the shelf--in which case I wouldn't need the PD?
    You guys are all nuts, but you are the only ones that can help me understand. Please help!

Its a problem with any really beautiful and expensive light - do you carry
    it and risk having it marked up?

I would imagine that with the durability of Titanium, it would be very difficult
    to scratch anyway, and any scratches would probably be so superficial
    that they could be polished out, so I would be inclined to carry this light
    if I bought it.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

BTW, I forgot to say that I'm first in line for the Ti PD Mclux 27LT
    with V-bin K2 driven at 1amp on high
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobweb Hunter
    Well it is too pretty, too valuable, to be put to use--I wouldn't want to damage it?
    Keep in mind that Don's flashlights are tools. Very durable, valuable, very well designed... But still tools.

My advise would be to USE IT! With care (don't try anything foolish with it), and extra care not to lose it. But use it. Unless you don't have any need for a flashlight? That would be a good reason not to carry it

Enjoy its function, enjoy its design. And see how good it is to own a jewel from Don.

Flashaholic*

I carry and use my McLux III T everyday in one of Matt's holesters. It is truly a work of art, but also a tool that I use constantly. While I don't want to drop my T (haven't yet), I take a few precautions to avoid damaging it. First, it is securely covered and held in a holester. Second, I've attached a thin wrist lanyard to the clip to allow me the security of it not hitting the ground, if it slips out of my hand. Because I wouldn't want to even scratch up the clip on the light, the lanyard is secured to the light without a metal clip. The lanyard is thin enough that it can be easily wrapped around the light and fits into the holester.

I own a tractor/backhoe which costs alot more than the T and I use it to move rocks/dirt and dig in the ground. Yes, it gets banged up and dirty, but it's suppossed to because it's a machine and that is it's purpose.
    While my T isn't being used like my tractor, it is also a tool and I'll use it as such.

If Don's making more great Ti lights, I'm definitely in for at least one.

I carrry a Ti CR2 Ion as my EDC--in my pocket with other stuff, no less. No major damage yet. My Ti Chamelon is my every night dog walking light. So I definitely plan on using any McGizmo Ti light I can get.

I felt the same way, not using mine a bunch and keeping it "safe," but I soon got over this once I held it in my hand. Titanium is so strong and I mean this by the way it feels and looks, not just its rep. You just know this light is going to perform under whatever you throw at it. I have to remind myself how much it costs so I am on task with it and don't do anything stupid. But Tino-ale is right, these are formost tools and they are the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast