Acebeam        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

129 58.64%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.73%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.64%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

The really great thing about having to scrimp and budget to save for a TI-PD is the wonderfull effect that hopeing for a few more weeks to save before order day has on the insane anticipation of wanting one now!

Oh and Made ya look!!!
    Titanium flashlights are like solid gold radial tires

Hi Don,

Any new info on the upcoming Ti offerings.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
    I am waiting on parts from the machine shop. The shop owner told me at the beginning of last week that he hoped he would have the parts finished by last friday. No idea if that happened or not. The ducks on this program are all over the country side at present and it will take some time and herding to get them in a row. At this point, it is clear that I will need to arrange transport for these ducks to Maui as I will be going back on the 27th of May and will be there all of June. My plan is to build the McLuxIII Ti PD's there. The machined parts are behind schedule which is not uncommon these days. Between now and the 27th I will need to process the Ti pocket clips for these, gather the optics, LED's, H3 vials, sapphire windows and other parts along with the tools I will need to set up shop on Maui. I have an order in with Wayne for converters as well. Things are coming together but the vapor is still too thick to see a clear picture of a timeline.

I am planning to build these lights with aid of my friend Friendly and the essence of Aloha. These lights will literally last forever and their birth date will not be a result of induced labor or premature.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks Don for the nice update, now I can sleep again for a week or so

Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Thanks Don. It's nice to hear that at least the vapor itself is real My wallet could certainly use rebuild time anyway.

Anything worth having is worth waiting for...

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Flashaholic*

I"d like to volunteer for a work-study program in Maui!!!
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

Quote Originally Posted by DFiorentino
    Thanks Don. It's nice to hear that at least the vapor itself is real My wallet could certainly use rebuild time anyway.

Anything worth having is worth waiting for...

-DF
    Well said DFiorentino!

I've an engagement ring on layaway but have also been embezzling funds into my paypal account. The extra time is great and I hope I won't have to pawn my truck title or visit the wealthy older man down the street who keeps hinting at a lucrative exchange for "favors".

Don, sounds like you are enjoying the good life! Congrats, it's good to know that the work of humbler more creative types can pay off as well. Enjoy!

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the quick response and update Don. I know that the final product will be well worth the wait. I just love my current PD and it is the only flashlight I use at work.

Steve

Hey Don,
    Has there been any condensation of the vapor for the "next Ti project"? Also, Atlanta Blade Show is June 16-18, any chance McluxIII Ti-PD will be ready to show off by then?

Flashaholic*

I just want to make sure there is not some kind of list or anything for one of these right? I am not missing out on this one =D

goldserve ... the list is already full for a long time now, you're late brother, sorry.

NOT !!!
    Just kidding!

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Hey Don!

I hope your flight to Hawaii was a good one! Glad to see you won't be deprived of any goodies while building up your workbench there due to the successful auction.

Blade show here in Atlanta is coming up and I was hoping that if I manage to get in on a Ti-PD that it would be a hoot to show off to some of the custom knife makers at Blade (I'd imagine buying an extra for trade purposes might end up as a wise investment!). Well, I'm just hoping for an update on the progress of the parts gathering process.

Thanks

Excited to hear some news, i think this light would be something magical. I havent been around for previous offerings but i am going to stay tuned for this one, this is a fantastic light, and from what ive heard, it will be a bargin at ANY price
    MLR<3

Hi guys,
    I arrived safely on Maui yesterday and with a rented mini-van, I immediately went to Cost Co, a furniture store (starting with a bed ordered) and then Office Max. This new house is completely unfurnished and missing all the little things one needs! I have two 4'x4'x3' shipping crates that should show up in another week or so and in them, I have the tools I will need to build these Ti lights. In the mean time, I hope to get the house furnished to the point that I will have a work bench and build station set up. I have not heard further on when to expect the Ti parts which are already well overdue. The shop knows my situation and will be shipping here to Maui.

I will post in advance of my intents on this program as soon as I have a half baked plan in place and parts in hand. I am staying at my friends who usually host me over here and typing from an internet connection at their home. Getting my desk and internet connection viable in the new house is on other item on the list.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

*Flashaholic*

don, good to hear things are going according to plan....

To be honest I'm a little envious of your relocation but certainly not all the work involved in the process! Hope it goes smoothly...

Paypal at the ready.....

Don is your new house in Maui huge? Hope you have a pleasant time settling down there.
    My paypal ready for the TI PD when you are
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

"Welcome to Jurassic Park." Cue the music.

Aloha Don,

Just curious if there is any update regarding the Ti offerings.(PD Ti and vaporware Ti) I know you were waiting on equipment and getting set up in paradise, but I and at least 150 others would love a titbit of an update.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve and others,

There have been numerous set backs and delays in the upcoming Ti program(s). Had the schedule held as planned, I would have brought all of the Ti PD components over with me to Maui. The machine shop is in process of moving to a larger facility and the unexpected and immediate departure of the office manager (move to another state following her boy friend) left the owner and my series of components in limbo for weeks! The owner now has things under control and has shipped some of the components to me with the balance promised within the next week or so. I am still hoping and planing to have some Ti PD's available in June and to ship from Maui but it will be towards the end of the month now. When I see that I am getting closer to being able to perform with these, I will post in anticipation of the project. A big hurdle will be bin options and I will possibly start a poll to get a feel for bin preference once I know what I will be offering for the Ti PD's. I may pre build in proportions indicated by a poll which will allow me to do some groups of same LED and not bog me down with keeping track of individual orders prior to building.

The vapor Ti project is also seeing progress with a first article, proof of concept, sample head. I have no projected time line on these lights but if and when they become reality, they will be a Ti PD using a head for the 27L reflector. They are a 1x123 platform. The head is designed with no threaded bezel ring. The 2 mm sapphire window is retained by an O-ring in the same fashion as the HD45. This allows for the reduction in cost by eliminating an expensive component and yet does not compromise the light in terms of function or service, IMHO.

The information to follow is not fact but intent. I will not, nor can not, be held to it:

The plan is to have ultimately between 75 and less than 100 each of both the Ti PD as well as Ti PD-27L made and available for sale; first the PD to be followed by the PD-27L. Both will consist of Ti heads, pistons, sleeves and clips and their fasteners. The Ti PD will also have the Ti bezel ring many of you are already familar with. Both will have H3 vials inset in the piston ends. Both will likely have a new converter of Wayne's called the GDx2. This driver is a buck/boost driver that may well replace the wiz2x2 in the future. It may be a bit more efficient than the wiz2x2 and it allows for a lower Vin. The lower Vin will support higher drive levels anticipated for the TiPD-27L (but not planned for the Ti PD). This driver will work with lithium primaries as well as R123 but can not be expected to protect the R123; you will need to use a protected cell with its own internal shut down.

I don't have final component costs or delivered pricing so I can only mention my planned or target pricing at this point. I plan to offer the Ti PD for $425 and the Ti PD-27L for $450. The material to be used in the Ti PD is grade 5 Ti (6-4) and the material for the Ti PD-27L will be grade 2 Ti (CP). In reality, the only significance in alloy for these lights is the price savings on the CP purchased for the Ti PD-27L and on the larger diameter needed for the head, this was a must if I was to hit the target pricing.

Anyone is free to speculate on the profitability of these programs and an over simplistic view of presumed material costs VS selling price will appear to imply a wonderful level of profit. When it is all said and done and my real expenses are factored in along with the time devoted to these projects (design, shipping, communication, assembly and procurement) I hope I do see a reasonable profit from the effort that will justify the opportunity cost and risk I have incurred. You are free to speculate but I will not engage in such discussions nor will I stand to be held accountable to any justification of my selling prices. I beseech anyone not comfortable with either the price or perceived value in these lights simply not to buy! Sound points of reference can either show these lights as justifiable or not, IMHO.

These lights are designed as stand alone and complete. I can't open the door to separate or additional components or modular options to them. By design, there should be some compatability and interchangeability among other lights but this is not guaranteed or part of the plan. The two lights are being made in different shops and compatability across platforms has not been stipulated or required.

At present, none of these are a done deal or proven. I could end up with a bunch of cool looking scrap!

When I have any real progress or information to pass on, I will post again. In the mean time, I have a full plate of other projects waiting on me.

Don-

First off thanks for the detailed update. I wish you all matter of smoothness from here on out.

If fortune graces us with two coalescing nuclei of invention, put me down for one of each.

Thanks
    T

Cool !! Looking forward to both lights. Don, your straight forward, plain speaking approach to business is really a refreshing change from the normal mumbo-jumbo stuff. Great!!

Thanx for the update, Master!
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Thanks Don for the full update. Hope these projects are not causing you too much grief. Also considering what these lights are fetching on the second hand market, and the financial risks/personal time you are putting into these, the asking price in my opinion is extremely fair. I just hope that I am quick enough to snag one of these. With regards to the LED I trust your judgment and will go with whatever you think is best.

Take care,

Steve

Thanks guys! I am feeling the stress of an expectant father and no time to enjoy the process at the moment. I am NOT compiling any lists nor am I one bit interested in receiving LED's from customers to isolate and monitor in the build process!!!! I will try to keep on top of this thread but additional and private messages regarding these programs will not be received with open arms and detailed responses!

If Murphy has a 24" monkey wrench aimed at either of these programs, I'll accept the lumps and responsibility for allowing him entrance.

I would like to mention that even if I don't offer or build the ultimate LED/Driver package one seeks, the LED sink as well as driver is replaceable and with skill or assist from others, these lights can be reconfigured to one's desire; maybe not by me is all!

OK, stop teasing us now and open up the order list!!!

Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

OK Daddy ... does it make you feel better that WE do enjoy the process?

I thought I'd open the discussion about bins, private LEDs to send in as well as serial nzumbers as well as personalized engraving ... but I think I'll stop right here

bernie
    - paulr

Thanks for the update Don, appreciated.

Karl

*Flashaholic*

in for one of each... thanks for the update!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast